PDA

View Full Version : What do your DC call your mom?

Glizmo
03-20-2008, 10:56 PM
Or any of their grandparents for that matter? My mom doesn't want to be "Grandma L" because that's her MIL, lol, so she's stressing. First grandbaby and all. Just curious what some of the cute options are out there... :)

buddyleebaby
03-20-2008, 11:05 PM
My mom is grandma, my MIL is yeya, and my dh's grandma (who raised him) is abuela.

My dad is Pop Pop and my mom made a push for grammy but I just didn't like it and she gave up pretty quick.

ThreeofUs
03-20-2008, 11:05 PM
One of the best Grandmother names I know of is "Pretty". I know a few families whose kids call their grandmother this, and it's so darling!

My DNs called my mom "Red" - she was a flaming red-head and it suited her. Believe it or not, my mom wanted to be called "granny"!

Bean606
03-20-2008, 11:11 PM
DH's parents are grandma and grandpa, and my parents are nonno and nana.

Glizmo
03-20-2008, 11:15 PM
Believe it or not, my mom wanted to be called "granny"!

LOL, that's what my mom brought up today! I don't think of my mom as old enough or gray enough to be a granny! :D

caheinz
03-20-2008, 11:18 PM
The in-laws are Grandma and Grandpa Lastname.

My dad and his wife are Grammy and Grampa Puppy. (They have two little dogs, and that's what stuck out in DS's mind when he was little.)

My stepdad is Grandpa Firetruck. (He's a retired fireman, and I guess the fact that he drove the firetruck was more exciting to DS when the name got stuck...)

We refer to my mom as Grandma Firstname when we talk about her with DS. She would not have wanted to be Gr. Lastname (MIL troubles), and since her death preceded DS's birth, there wasn't time for him to come up with his own moniker...

Not sure why my folks got creative names while the in-laws didn't. I think they just didn't have any characters that stuck out enough to DS for him to give them their own unique names.

Keep in mind that kids can come up with good names on their own, even without pre-planning. My folks love their DS-given names!

kristenk
03-20-2008, 11:20 PM
My mother is Grand.

DH's parents are Nana and Pa. We started out calling them Grandma and Grandpa, but when DD started talking, she couldn't say Grandpa but she called FIL, "Pa" and it stuck. I most definitely did NOT want DD to call MIL, "Ma" so we went with Nana instead!:ROTFLMAO:

Emmas Mom
03-20-2008, 11:23 PM
My MIL is "Nana" to all her grandkids. Her mother has been dubbed "super Nana" by our girls (though there is NOTHING super about the woman). Both FIL & my Dad are Grandpa. My step-dad is called "Poppy" by his grandkids & our girls....which I didn't really like at first but it's grown on me. My step-mom is "Grandma Kathi". My Mom is Grandma. My maternal Grandmother is "Mor Mor" (mother's mother in Norwegian). My Grandfather is "Dziadzia" (Polish for grandpa), phonetically pronounced "Ja Ja".

sarahsthreads
03-20-2008, 11:28 PM
My parents are Grandma and Grandpa, my ILs are Nana and Poppy (DD has six older cousins, so the ILs names were in use for several years before DD came along.)

My maternal grandparents are Big Grandma and Big Grandpa - DD confused "great" with "big" at one point (they can sort of mean the same thing in other contexts) - which my grandmother isn't too fond of even though I keep assuring her that it doesn't mean anything about body size. My paternal grandparents are Great Grammie and Great Grandpa, because DD doesn't see them nearly as often and had a better handle on the english language by the time she got around to calling them by names.

When DD eventually has children (well, at least I hope she does!) I would personally prefer "Grammie" to "Granny", it just doesn't sound quite so old and gray-haired. ;)

Sarah

niccig
03-20-2008, 11:49 PM
My mum is Granny, my MIL is Mimi. My dad is Grumps and my FIL is Bubba. Our DN named MIL and FIL and they agreed, so we use them too. My parents chose their own names.

randomkid
03-20-2008, 11:54 PM
I let my parents pick their names and they chose Grandmommy and Granddaddy. DD went through several names for my Mom, but seems to have settled on Grammy. However, if I refer to her as Grandmommy, DD knows who I am talking about. I don't really like it because that is DH's grandmother, but my Mom seems to like it. I think because DD came up with it herself and everyone called my Mom's Mom "Granny", so I think the similarity is special to her. My Dad has always been Granddaddy - don't know why she can say that and not Grandmommy (or maybe she just didn't like that name).

FIL is Papa (pronounced Poppa) because that's what my stepDDs call him. My grandfather was Papa, but pronounced "Paw Paw" - they were from Georgia.

missym
03-20-2008, 11:57 PM
The girls call my mom Grandma, and DH's mom is Grammy. Their family has always used Grammy so it worked out well. We don't have much contact with my dad, so they call DH's dad Grandpa and mine Grandpa Pat.

Gena
03-21-2008, 12:18 AM
My parents are Busia and Dziadzia (Polish for Grandma and Grandpa). MIL is Grammy. FIL is Pap-pap. FIL's wife is Step-Grammy.

MontrealMum
03-21-2008, 12:20 AM
So far the Ils are Granny and Granddad because that's what they wanted DN to call them, and they've continued that with DS. My parents are Grandma and Grandpa for now, but I'm hoping that DS will come up with something cute. My family is full of funny nicknames, it's a bit of a tradition. My own grandma was called Babe (try shouting that across a store and see the reaction!), her sister was Girlie, I had an uncle called Hockey, and it goes on and on from there. My cousin's kids call her mother Mimi because she wasn't ready to be Grandma.

saschalicks
03-21-2008, 01:03 AM
OK mine are all different and I have divorced IL's who are both remarried.

my mother is Bubbe [pronounced bub-ee] (yiddish for grandma, I called my grandmother that too, she was amazing)
my father is Tata (dad in polish, and what my dad called his dad) my father did not want any connotation of "grandpa"

My MIL and stepFIL are Nana and Papa
My FIL and stepMIL are Grandma and PapaKal

C99
03-21-2008, 01:08 AM
I refer to my kids' grandparents by their geographic location to distinguish them. My parents, for example, are Grandma and Grandpa Texas. But my kids *address* their grandparents as "grandma" and "grandpa" when they are with them. DD sometimes calls my mom "grammy," which she invented all on her own (similarly, my niece started calling my FIL "poppy," which I just cannot say with a straight face, which is why my kids (4+ years younger than my niece) call their grandfather "grandpa." My DH's grandmother is "Super Grandma" and his grandfather (other side) is "Grandpa George."

Tondi G
03-21-2008, 01:45 AM
My Mom is Gramma... or Gramma Roxanne and my Dad was Grandpa Brendan (he passed a couple of years ago). My MIL is Gramma Linda or Gramma Linden (this is was DS#2 called her for some reason Linden was easier than linda). FIL is Grandpa Ron. My IL's are divorced and we only see FIL maybe once a year.

You never know what your kids will come up with... tell your mom not to stress or to give you an idea of what she would like to be called.

shilo
03-21-2008, 02:41 AM
get your mom a copy of "funny, you don't look like a grandmother" by lois wyse. there is a whole list of 'alternate' names beyond grandmother and granny to help get her thinking about it. we asked each of our parents to choose their own monikers, and i got this book for both mom and MIL and they both found it a good read.

my mom chose Grams (altho when DS says it it sounds like G'ams - as in legs - which is always good for a chuckle )

my dad started as Grampa, but DS calls him BaPa or PaPa, so he's mostly morphed into PaPa and it will likely stay that way

my MIL chose Gramma Cindy

my FIL chose Grandad Ron. his wife is Mary Ann which is actually really cool to me b/c my own 'step' grandmother is Mary Jo and she is and always has been as much my grandparent as all of the others.

all of our (DH's and mine) grandparents go by G.G. (gi-gi) first name.

lori

Swirvin
03-21-2008, 04:52 AM
Maternal Grandparents: Grandma and Granddad
Paternal Grandparents: Oma and Opa (that's grandma and grandpa in Dutch)

BeachBum
03-21-2008, 06:52 AM
Mine are Grammie and Papa
IL's are Grandma Firstname and Grandpa Firstname (their names were chosen by the first grandchild)

LD92599
03-21-2008, 07:10 AM
my mom is mama
mil is grandma (and sometimes grandma from va)

FIL is Grandpa first name
GFIL is "nickname"

JTsMom
03-21-2008, 07:32 AM
We started off calling my mom Grandma, but DS prefers to call her Grammy, which she loves. It's funny, b/c that is what I used to call my grandma, but I never used the term in front of DS.

He calls my dad Pap Pap- I think he got that from my nephews.

He calls his great-grandmother/father Grandma and Pap Pap Last Name.

scoop22
03-21-2008, 09:06 AM
we weren't sure what to call them at first. after awhile names just fell into place.

my parents are : gi gi and pap pap. (grandma was to hard for him to say at first so we went for gi gi instead of grandma ginny)

dh's parents: nana and pa pa.. sometimes it is grandpa..

great grandparents are: grammy and poppy

ds was a late talker but he was able to say all of these at a young age!

kedss
03-21-2008, 09:20 AM
DS calls my mom "mama-baa" since she has a sheep farm, and my grandmother is "mama-ahah", since her first name is Aggie.

My nephew calls my mom "nama".

lizajane
meemommy.

and my dad is gaddy.

schuyler called him gaddy when he was 14 months old! it was maybe his 10th word?? he slurred grandaddy to gaddy, or gada, instead of dada. later, when looking at a photo, he pointed to my mom and my mother in law and called them "meemommy" and "meema" out of no where. before he "named" them, we called them grandmommy and grandaddy and grandma and grandpa (in the hopes that he would come up with something cute himself.)

my father in law is paw paw.

SnuggleBuggles
One is Grandma HerFirstName and the other is Grandma HerFirstName. My mom would much prefer to be straight g'ma b/c she hates kids calling her by her 1st name but ds was having a hard time distinguishing when younger. I think a lot of times now he does just call her grandma. The other g'ma wanted her 1st name in the title.

Beth

cvanbrunt
03-21-2008, 10:03 AM
Your little one might come up with something on his or her own. DD #1 calls my dad Popum. We have no idea where that came but its pretty cute and dad thinks it funny.

Mamma2004
03-21-2008, 10:25 AM
DS calls my mom Nonna, my dad Nonno and DH's parents Gramma and Grampa.

Stephanie

Ceepa
03-21-2008, 10:26 AM
DC call my parents Grandma and Grandpa [lastname] and ILs Grandma and Grandpa [lastname]. I know it sounds horribly formal and cold, but it sounds sweet when spoken in tiny voices.

Funny, though, MIL has tried since the beginning to get DC to call her "Grand-me" (sounds like Grammy) like she has strongly encouraged the other grandchildren to do and my DC refuse. LOL

kdeunc
03-21-2008, 10:32 AM
My mom is Mammy and my Dad is Granddaddy.
MIL is Nana and FIL is Lee-Lee. He wanted to be Granddaddy but for some reason my DS couldn't say Granddaddy and it was granddilee then Lee Lee. He did decide the my daddy was Granddaddy. DS also "chose" Mammy. My DN calls her Gammy. Kids often do what they want and all of our parents were like "whatever they want to call us is just fine" :)

LarsMal
03-21-2008, 10:49 AM
My mom is Gigi and MIL is Grandma or Grandma First Name.

mommy111
03-21-2008, 11:02 AM
My mom is mommy or mama 'first name'. My dad is dad. MIL and FIL are grandma and grandpa.

nfowife
03-21-2008, 01:48 PM
MIL is geega and FIL is papa. DD came up with it on her own, we were planning on using grandma and grandpa. My Dad is grandpa pete and for his wife we all just call her Anita.

lmintzer
03-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Both my parents and my inlaws are "Grandma and Papa". When a distinction needs to be made between the sides of the family, they are "Grandma and Papa first name". This is the same as I did growing up. The last name thing always seemed too formal to me.

I'm fortunate enough to have a living grandmother--the kids' call their great grandma "Grandy," which I came up with and she loves.

We've lived in the Philly area for almost 3 years now, and I'm still getting used to the "Mom mom, Pop Pop" designation. A lot of kids use these terms here, and I'd never heard them before in the Midwest.

pb&j
03-21-2008, 02:09 PM
We never could settle on a name for my dad (and we weren't feeling the "Grandpa" love), so he just goes by his first name.

HIU8
03-21-2008, 03:12 PM
My parents are divorced. My mother is grandma net. My father is Zade (yiddish for grandfather). My MIL is bubs (she shortened bubee--yiddish for grandmother). My FIL was grandpa al. We let the grandparents pick what they wanted to be called and just went with it.

thomma
03-21-2008, 03:18 PM
My parents are Grammy and Grampa (sounds like Crappa when dd says it :) )
My inlaws are called names too ridiculous to share. We were the last to have grandkids and got stuck with already picked out names...but that's for the bitching post.

Kim
ds&dd 5/03

dr mom
03-21-2008, 08:14 PM
My mother is "Nana."

Growing up, my grandmothers were "Grandmother" and "Granny" - so we wanted to use a different nickname. I tease my mom that it sounds like the dog from Peter Pan, but on the other hand it definitely doesn't make her sound as old as calling her "Grandma!"

Melarina
03-21-2008, 08:29 PM
My mom is Grandma and dad is Grampy, so far. MIL is Mamaw and FIL is Papaw.

Other names I have heard kids call grandparents: Nonnie, Pop-Pop, Nonna, Poppa, Grandaddy Woof-Woof, Diva, Sweetie.

MontrealMum
03-21-2008, 08:36 PM
The little girls I used to babysit called their grandparents Boppa and Nana - I always thing of that when I use my Boppy now :)

o_mom
03-21-2008, 09:16 PM
My parents are Grandma and Grandpa, no last name.

DH's father is deceased, so he is Grandpa <lastname>. MIL is referred to as Grandma <lastname>. There is a long story about her passive-aggressive approach to trying to get us to change it, but not really relavent.

One that I have heard and liked is "Grammy".

kcimato
03-21-2008, 09:53 PM
I'm a Grandma and go by 3 different names for each of my children's families.

In Family #1 we go by G(pronounced Gi) and Grandpa. Sometimes my DGD calls DH Grampy when she is in a silly mood. I choose G for Grandma.

Family#2 call us Nonno and Nonna, Italian for Grandma and Grandpa.

Family #3 we were going by G and Grandpa but as our DGS began to talk he referred to us as Jeep and B-Paw. I love those best.

We call my mom (great grandma) Double G My MIL is called Grandma lastname

hbridge
03-21-2008, 10:02 PM
We were going to go with Grandma and Grandpa, but DC had other plans and named the grandparents she's closest too when she was learning to talk. Those names have stuck. I would have a plan, but wait and see what happens. My parents are thrilled to have unique names that only DC calls only them. It's very cute...

Tammy
03-21-2008, 10:44 PM
This is a good thread! My dd has started saying more words recently, and has just started trying to say "grandma" in the last couple weeks. So for now both dh and my parents are "Bama" and "Bampa" cause that's how it sounds. I think we'll just let her choose.

dcmom2b3
03-21-2008, 11:44 PM
DD has a a bunny theme going: My mother is Namby, short for Nana Bunny, and I am Momby (which I LOVE!) On the non-rabbit side of the family, DH's parents are M'mere and P'pere (the French version of mom-mom and pop-pop?).

One of the sweetest grandmother names I've heard is M'dear. A southern thing, I think.

kijip
03-22-2008, 11:50 AM
My mom is Grandma. My dad is Grandpa (but he tried papa, it didn't take).

My husband's mother is Cat Grandma (so dubbed by Toby because she owns 2 cats and there are not pets on my side of the family). My MILs husband is Grandpa FirstName.

My grandmother is Great Grandmother.

My husband's grandparents are Great Gramma and Grandpa FirstName.

sdjeppa
03-22-2008, 12:07 PM
We were going with Grandma and Grandpa for my parents, and Grandma firstname and Grandpa Firstname (or Grandma and Grandpa in Texas) for DH's parents. I wasn't sure what we were going to call the Great Grandma's, as I grew up calling them "grandma" too.

DS ended up naming my dad "Papa", and for great-grandma (who passed away when he was 2) he named Grandma Bean Bean (because of her jelly bean jar).

For the other great-grandma, the other (9!) great-grandchildren call her GG, but I refused to call her that (because that's what we called her mom) and she wanted DS to name her himself - very early on, he named her Ahma, which she loves and that's what we call her (which can confuse the other great grandkids when they are visiting, but oh well!)