PDA

View Full Version : Help - Toddler Picking Scabs Normal?

mamalia
03-21-2008, 12:50 AM
Hi, my DD has taken to picking at her scabs. Mostly on her face, it started with one scratch on her forehead that she picked at so it didn't heal. Now there are two spots. I notice she does it almost as a soothing device. Like when she's fighting to stay up but is really tired. Or if she is upset during a car ride - pick pick pick. I'm worried because some of them are starting to scar.

Is this normal? What can I do to get her to stop? Any suggestions on creating a new soothing device? And is there anything that can prevent scarring?

I've tried...
Cutting her nails short.
Putting bandaids on, but a new one always seems to pop up.
Telling her (as do Grandparents) not to pick. <---- Should I be ignoring it instead?
Putting aquaphor on.

Thanks!!!

Pennylane
03-21-2008, 07:38 AM
My ds got a scab on his face and it picked at it for months!! The only advice I have is to put some neosporin on it at night after she has fallen asleep. I also bought those small square band aids and put on it. He finally stopped, but it took a long time!

I can still see a faint scar where it was on his cheek.

Ann

californiagirl
03-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Normal. We have a handy book called "All About Scabs" (Warning: May gross out adults!) which is good about explaining why you shouldn't pick at them.

Mommy Of A Little Angel
03-21-2008, 01:12 PM
DD did this with a cut on her nose! This cut lasted a good two months. It didn't heal until I finally put a little square bandaid on it. I tried to put one on before nap/night time. Most times she would wake up and it would be off. I just kept putting it on and resorted to having it on her during the day. After that, it was only about two or three days until it was healed enough to no longer have a scab. Oh, and put neosporin on the bandaid - it will help heal it faster.

DD took to picking at the bandaid but at least she was away from the scab!

mamalia
03-21-2008, 05:57 PM
Thank you ladies! I worried that it might be a sign of too much stress, or maybe OCD. So to hear others have BTDT is a relief. I guess I'll keep up with the bandaids, but try your Neosporin suggestions!

Californiagirl, thanks for the book suggestion, I'm going to try to find All About Scabs at our library. I looked at Amazon but the bit about eating scabs made me worry DD might get ideas. :)

Malia

supercalifragilous
03-21-2008, 06:47 PM
Just wanted to chime in here - DD picks off Band-Aids unless they're the "tattoo" ones that are enclosed all the way around. There's something about the gaping middle that makes it enticing to pick off for her, like she can sneak in her little finger to "rub" the itchy scab...

If your DD is mature enough, you could encourage her to leave it alone by stopping the itch with an ice pack. DD goes to bed with one that she can put on her "itchies" so she doesn't scratch her eczema.

After experimenting with Neosporin, Aquaphor, lanolin, shea butter, and other mainstream healing ointments, I found emu oil to be the fastest. It penetrates deep into the dermal layer so it'll also help to prevent scarring. If you google it, you'll find some amazing testimonials. It's kinda expensive, but well worth it. I buy it @ SuperSupplements but they have it at natural food stores/Whole Foods. It's the only thing that's healing up DD's huge cracked & oozing eczema patches that she scratched up.

I had the flu a month ago and blew my nose raw (sorry, TMI). After trying all of the above night after night, I finally tried DD's emu oil and it healed it overnight! I was amazed. I'm a total believer that emu oil rocks!