PDA

View Full Version : When to downsize diaper bags?

vonfirmath
03-21-2008, 02:36 PM
How old was your DC when you could start carrying less stuff around with you? Most of the time, I don't need most of the stuff in my diaper bag (2 change of outfits, a diaper change pad, 5 diapers, baby wipes, bottle, bottle of water, container of formula, tylenol drops, spare socks, Aquaphor for diaper rashes, a couple of toys, an extra burp rag, etc.)

But I'm not sure I'm there yet. But! I'd like to know when I can look forward to using a smaller diaper bag that takes up less space as you go.

Clarity
03-21-2008, 07:19 PM
I'm probably the exception, but only after a few months. I bf, so I didn't need the formula or bottles or water. I kept a a diaper bag in the trunk with a change of clothes, rash cream, and a few other necessities then bought just a bit larger purse. The purse had just enough extra room that I was able to carry a travel pack of wipes, a diaper, maybe two, and a disposable changing pad. That's really all we ever needed. If an accident occurred, we returned to the car for other necessities.

bubbaray
03-21-2008, 07:43 PM
I think it depends on your packing style and whether you FF or BF. I EBFd both girls and never had to carry bottles or formula or burp pads, so could pack lighter from the start for that reason. I also only carried one extra outfit when they were newborns. Now, I just keep an extra outfit for each (probably too small, though!) in my spare diaper bag in the vehicle.

Most of the time, I use a SH Dash, though there are many days where I use a LE LT. I have to pack a bit more now that DD#2 is eating solids and wants snacks. When she was under 6m, I could pack much more lightly.

egoldber
03-22-2008, 12:58 PM
I agree that it just depends on your style. By the time Amy was about 4 or 5 months old (and stopped having lots of blowouts), I stopped carrying more than a couple diapers, a package of wipes and a spare pacifier. I just stuff them in my regular bag which is a small shoulder bag.

I am the type of person though that would rather buy an extra bottle of Tylenol when I am out than be a sherpa just in case I happen to need something. I do keep some stuff in a bin in the car: extra diapers, wipes, emergency snacks and a spare outfit.

If we are planning to be out during a meal time, I pack her meal in a small lunch bag size container and carry that separately.

When we travel, I use a large tote bag to hold my supplies for being out and about all day.

Joolsplus2
03-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Ooooooh....no woooonder your diaperbag tipped over your stroller...

LOL, just kidding! I find that I can pare down my supplies as I see I'm not using them...how many times have you needed to change him twice while out (clothes, I mean)? If not much, then you could probably move down to one extra outfit (or a onesie for a hot day, playsuit for a cold day, those pack small)... I've never needed tylenol or rash cream when out, so I don't bring that, for example.
My favorite minimalist trick is to use a plastic pillow case bag (it was free, and it's just the right size, but a ju ju be quick or diapees and wipees are similar) to stick a couple diapers and a wipes case and a couple teeny plastic bags for dirty dipes... then I can fit that all in a big purse and move it from purse to purse with me easily, or just stick it in the bottom of the stroller basket (you could get a similar set up for your bottles, like the ju ju be snack shuttle or skip hop 3 bottle holder).

Anyway, I'm a minimalist, too, and sometimes I'm lucky nothing bad happens when I'm out...I don't think we've had a change of clothes in the car or in my bag for well over 6 months now :D.

MamaKath
04-02-2008, 08:15 PM
You can probably scale down at least for awhile. I found that I seemed to carry a lot for newborn, could scale back for a while, then as I needed to carry snacks (especailly for a kid with food sensitivities) I had to go back to a big bag.

Julie- I was cracking up about no change of clothes in the car. I always keep a change of clothes for them and me in the car. I also do at work. I still remember my first year of teaching, I split my pants one day. Ever since then, I prefer having my own change. ;-)

hlphillips2
04-03-2008, 03:56 PM
I was able to downsize when DD was about 18 months. But she spit up a ridiculous amount until she was 14 months so I always had extra clothing, burp cloths and bibs that were necessary. Now when we run errands I just throw a snack cup, diaper and travel wipes into my purse. I always have a small coloring book and crayons in there for emergencies. The sippy cup she carries to the car and it stays there unless we'll be in the stroller.

We still use her diaper bag if we're going someplace for a long afternoon though, or especially out to dinner (she's almost 2 1/2) for her placemat, silverware, sippy cup, bibs, lots of books, lots of diapers, wipes, purell, hairbrush, coloring books, crayons, and a spare toy or two.

'course now that we have an impending infant I'll be carting a whole lot more around!

HIU8
04-03-2008, 04:43 PM
DD will be 10 months next week. I keep a diaper bag in the car with 1 bottle prefilled with water, a formula holder (the kind with 4 slots), 1 spare outfit, 2-3 towel bibs, socks, undershirt, changing pad, paper bib, plastic table topper, diaper cream, straw cup, 4 diapers, wipes, tossable spoons, a couple jars of baby food and some toys. I have another diaper bag that is much smaller (purse size) that goes with me when we get out of the car (I usually have the bottle and formula, a towel bib, changing pad, 1-2 diapers, diaper cream and a toy. When we go out to eat I include the paper bib and table topper and a jar of baby food with a spoon. I periodically refill the diaper bag that stays in the car and then have what I need for the small diaper bag. It is just so much easier to carry the smaller diaper bag in and out of restraunts and stores and know that I have what I need right in the car if I have to refill the smaller bag while we are out.

kk
04-04-2008, 09:14 AM
I tend to get rid of my diaper bag as soon as I can-- by about 6 months, except when going out for a big trip such as zoo, family holiday, etc.

Other notes: when my son was 2 we got him a little Dickies back pack for a diaper, cup of water, snack. That way I carry a purse and he carries his own stuff.

I have carried wet wipes in my purse for 7 1/2 years. I always keep a stash of diapers, snacks, bottled water, and pacifier in my car.

My kids are 2, 5, and 7.

hellokitty
04-04-2008, 10:56 AM
My oldest was also a child who spit up a LOT. Like, we had to change outfits for him (and me) multiple times a day, and he was also a big drooler. I swear, he was the only kid that was over 12 mo having to wear bibs while awake. So, I don't think I was able to downsize for him until he was close to 18 mo, but then of course I had ANOTHER baby, so that didn't last long. Now that my kids are older, for short trips, I can get away wearing a big purse. However, if we make a day trip, like to the zoo or science center, I still end up lugging a diaper bag, b/c after packing extra outfits, snacks, sippy cups, diapers (youngest is not PT yet), toys, bibs, etc. it gets to be a lot to drag around. I've always BF'd my kids, but I tend to be one of those moms who tends to overpack, b/c the times where I did pack too lightly, it bit me in the butt.

vonfirmath
05-14-2008, 02:26 AM
Ooooooh....no woooonder your diaperbag tipped over your stroller...

LOL, just kidding! I find that I can pare down my supplies as I see I'm not using them...how many times have you needed to change him twice while out (clothes, I mean)? If not much, then you could probably move down to one extra outfit (or a onesie for a hot day, playsuit for a cold day, those pack small)... I've never needed tylenol or rash cream when out, so I don't bring that, for example.
My favorite minimalist trick is to use a plastic pillow case bag (it was free, and it's just the right size, but a ju ju be quick or diapees and wipees are similar) to stick a couple diapers and a wipes case and a couple teeny plastic bags for dirty dipes... then I can fit that all in a big purse and move it from purse to purse with me easily, or just stick it in the bottom of the stroller basket (you could get a similar set up for your bottles, like the ju ju be snack shuttle or skip hop 3 bottle holder).

Anyway, I'm a minimalist, too, and sometimes I'm lucky nothing bad happens when I'm out...I don't think we've had a change of clothes in the car or in my bag for well over 6 months now :D.

Well... we went down to 1 outfit. Plus a jacket because the days are going back and forth so much. Plus socks and mittens -- because one day he was shivering and I didn't have them to put on him! And, well. I'm still stuffing my regular diaper bag full! And thinking "How am I going to put a bib and spoon and jarred food in here as well" Oh and tossing in Cheerios for snacks too.

And yes, all of this stuff gets used even when out of the house sometimes! (Of course this same diaper bag gets taken to daycare which may be part of it)

We used to have this: http://www.amazon.com/Out-About-Ultimate-Diaper-Bag/dp/B0002U1RLY Out and about Diaper Bag. But it tore the first time we packed it out -- over Christmas. So I am looking for another "trip" diaper bag. and lusting after a Skip Hop Duo Deluxe (probably Blue Camo) -- think that it can fill that niche?

If not, what would use as a "weekender" diaper bag for an old girl scout?