PDA

View Full Version : .mac subscription worth it?

kijip
03-21-2008, 07:31 PM
Ok, what should I be using this for that I am not (currently I only use the email and every little at that)? What do you use yours for? Should I bother renewing in 30 days when mine expires? Thoughts, mac users?

My mac love was renewed today when I plugged in an old HP laser printer from greatprinterdeals.com and was printing off of Toby's old iMac seconds later with no drivers to mess with or software to install. :cheerleader1:

elektra
03-21-2008, 07:50 PM
DH just got a new imac for us today. :)
I have a .mac membership and I used it to create a blog (with no ads) for family and friends. It's also really easy to upload pics to the web from iphoto if you have iLife '06. You literally just press the Web Gallery button in iphoto and the photos you have selected get posted to the web.
You can also use the idisk for backup. The photo thing alone is why conntinued with my .mac.
You can also use it for syncing several macs but I have never used that.

If you go to the macrumors forum you can search through all the posts that address this very same question about .mac if you wants more info. It seems that half of the people say there are other ways to achieve the same things that .mac does and those other ways are free. (Not many posts say that there are better solutions though.) The other camp says that .mac is great and it helps them sync all their macs, they use the iweb stuff, etc..

LD92599
03-21-2008, 09:29 PM
I've used it for home and work for several years. At home though I just started using it for iWeb and keeping our www.lastname.com website fully updated. The integration with iPhoto is incredible! I also use it for .mac, backup & alot more!!

KBecks
03-21-2008, 10:13 PM
We use an external HD for backups, but if we had not already had one, I would have used .mac and think it's worth it for that alone.

mamalia
03-22-2008, 03:00 AM
DH happened to see this post, and his answer was an emphatic no so I felt compelled to reply. For backup he says jungle disk is the way to go. As for the other cool features that I thought we would use:
Blogging/WebPage - no one actually uploads anything
Remote Access of your computer - no one bothered to figure that out, we don't NEED to remotely access anything

I'm sure if I wasn't a first year law student I'd be figuring out and enjoying the Mac's services more, but as it is I procrastinate way too much (like right now I'm supposed to be writing a paper). So anyway FWIW, that's our negative view on .mac. But we do truly love the Mac itself.

kijip
03-22-2008, 03:09 AM
We have a LaCie for back-up, but the remote access might be worth it for us- the nature of my work is a little on the go. I tend to think if I have lived without it for a year, I can continue to do so, LOL. I might mess around with the webstuff and then decide. We are getting iLife as J has this idea that he must be able to change colors on video chat. Priorities, priorities. :ROTFLMAO:

LD92599
03-22-2008, 07:19 AM
I think there's alot to .mac that i don't use! I should have clarified that i *used* to use the backup software (to an external) from .mac for backup. I use idisk a TON on my .mac account for sharing between offices. I also use remote desktop between home & office as well but it's not related to .mac.

For me lately it's just the website features i love!

BeachBum
03-22-2008, 08:58 AM
To me it's worth it because it is simple and we don't have to manage a bunch of accounts. Everything works so well together--it's just easy. Sure, I could probably do the same things cheaper--but the convenience is worth it for me.