PDA

View Full Version : Love the accountant

niccig
03-22-2008, 02:13 AM
I've posted before about DH and I disagreeing on how to save and how to spend money. He's a spender, I'm a saver. He finally agreed to change how some things are done after a pretty major fight, but he only agreed because I was upset and I knew he was reluctant. Well, tonight we saw the accountant for our taxes and without me saying anything he asked DH what he wants out of life and said those are nice dreams but won't become reality if things continue as there are. He roughly worked out monthly expenses x 12 and then asked where the extra money went. No answer as we don't have one. He asked DH how would your grandma have felt about that sum of money being spent and not saved - DH's grandma saved every penny from her pension and had a small sum for all her grandkids in her will - and that amount is less than the extra from last year's income.

We're going back for a planning meeting in May and DH sounds onboard with it all. I nearly jumped across the table and :kisscheek: the accountant. It's not that I think I'm right, I need to learn more about finances, but finally someone has been able to show DH where we stand and that more can and should be done. I just need to vent as I'm SO happy and doing a :yay: This has been a source of ongoing tension btw DH and I, and I know we'll still have disagreements, but I see a chance that we can compromise and get on the same page.

kijip
03-22-2008, 03:14 AM
I want to kiss your accountant for you- that is a great lesson for your husband to learn! :cheerleader1: on your savings goals and plans. Once you start, it can get addictive! :yay:

JillSP
03-22-2008, 04:45 AM
That is great!

I guess it just goes to show how sometimes we need a "neutral" third party to point out the obvious.