PDA

View Full Version : white bookshelves--help!

sdbc
03-23-2008, 08:57 AM
We got DD's white dresser from Pier 1 Kids before it went out of business. We love it--same quality as PBK, but about 30% less expensive. We need a new large bookcase now, and we're having the hardest time. The reviews for the Target large one looks poor--the top doesn't connece, and people said it seemed tippy. The PBK ones are outrageously expensive. Anyone find a mid-priced large bookcase that is sturdy and good quality?

I SO wish we could get one that matches her dresser!!!!

Thanks!

tnrnchick74
03-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Have you checked out IKEA???

deannanb
03-23-2008, 11:20 AM
I was going to say the same thing as PP...
IKEA!

our friend said she outfitted her daughter's room for under $500 from IKEA -

I don't know how far Charlotte is from you, but the website says there is one coming soon. http://tinyurl.com/2bzep9

It would be worth a trip with a minivan - or rented truck to get some things!

MontrealMum
03-23-2008, 12:21 PM
If you're near an Ikea, the Billy is the way to go - it's $119 (Can.) for the tall one!!! Or, there are other, nicer ones as well for much less than PBK.

sdbc
03-23-2008, 02:44 PM
We're about 4.5 hours (each way) away from IKEA. Any other ideas? :)

(Charlotte is about 3 hours away, but that IKEA won't be there for another year, at least, and we need it sooner).

Anyone try Company Kids?

Sue

Globetrotter
03-23-2008, 02:48 PM
We have been very happy with Company Kid's furniture! We bought some items on sale and they were well made. I had one problem and they immediately sent me a replacement part to fix it.

Kris

sdbc
03-23-2008, 04:47 PM
We have been very happy with Company Kid's furniture! We bought some items on sale and they were well made. I had one problem and they immediately sent me a replacement part to fix it.

Kris

Thanks. Checking it out. :)

american_mama
03-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Target.com has a lot of online shelves and storage options that their stores don't carry on the floor.

A lot of places, including Penney's, sell a dollhouse-style bookshelf that is usually white with a pastel roof. Penney's may be a source for more traditional bookcases too.

I am pretty sure office supply stores will sell basic tall white bookcases, but without any decorative edging or arches.

WatchingThemGrow
03-23-2008, 07:12 PM
We LOOOOOOVE our Stanley Young America Contentment series furniture. The bookcase is very nice. One drawer, several shelves, comes with anti-tip straps. It is great quality! I *think* there is a place you can see it in Durham, but I know you can see parts of the collection at ChildSpace in Cary or the whole collection in High Point at FurnitureLand South. That's where we got ours, and it's something like 40% off retail. I can tell you more about it and the agent we used there if you PM me. The Pier 1 Kids stuff was so cute.

ETA: You could put a wanted ad on CL to see if any "resellers" snatched them up at the closing sale.

sdbc
03-23-2008, 08:34 PM
We LOOOOOOVE our Stanley Young America Contentment series furniture. The bookcase is very nice. One drawer, several shelves, comes with anti-tip straps. It is great quality! I *think* there is a place you can see it in Durham, but I know you can see parts of the collection at ChildSpace in Cary or the whole collection in High Point at FurnitureLand South. That's where we got ours, and it's something like 40% off retail. I can tell you more about it and the agent we used there if you PM me. The Pier 1 Kids stuff was so cute.

ETA: You could put a wanted ad on CL to see if any "resellers" snatched them up at the closing sale.

Wow. That Contentment Bookcase is NICE! Above our price range even at 40% off. Good idea to do an ISO in CL. I searched there, but didn't think of doing an ISO. I also saw something online at Rockwood (unfinished furniture) that looked very similar if I paint it white. We're going to check that out (probably next weekend).

I'm really bummed about Pier 1 Kids because we bought the dresser in anticipation of getting the loft system later....