PDA

View Full Version : Q for those who didn't have a big 2 yr old birthday party

cellenly
03-24-2008, 01:27 AM
I've been going to a lot of 2 year old birthday parties recently, so I kinda know what's in store if I go that route.

If you didn't have the traditional invite your playgroup/churchgroup kids & parents, what did you do? Did your child seem to enjoy what you did more than normal activities that he/she enjoys on a daily basis?

I'm looking for alternatives that the DD may enjoy more.

Neatfreak
03-24-2008, 02:18 AM
My family was on a temporary work assignment when my daughter turned two, so we were away from our usual family and friends. I made cupcakes for DD, my husband took the day off of work, and we went together to a museum that she likes to run around in. Then we took her out for lunch, and fit in a quick trip to her fave playground before naptime.

Did she enjoy the day? Yeah, I think so. Was there anything that she might have enjoyed more? I have no idea! She was only turning two!

mamalia
03-24-2008, 02:32 AM
We didn't have a large party for DD's third birthday party this year, and I think she enjoyed it! Her actual birthday was Valentine's day, so we did a picnic dinner with DH. She loved it, I think because it was a picnic at DH's workplace, and so *more special* in her eyes. She also loved we had lunch with her grandparents and uncle that weekend. And we did cupcakes at snack-time for her hand-in-hand preschool class. In all, three opportunities to blow out candles!

We've kind of done three types of birthdays now:
At two, we had a house party, probably fifty guests - of which three of her closest friends were invited. (The rest was our friends and family).
At one, we had a restaurant party. Same friends and family, but no little friends at the time.

DD loves being the center of attention, so I think she preferred number two a tad more. Or maybe it was just that I liked seeing how excited she was to see her friends come to visit her (like today when her best friend came to our house for Easter Egg hunting).

cvanbrunt
03-24-2008, 03:42 AM
We didn't do much for DD#1's first or second. For her first we invited our friends over for a cookout and didn't mention it was her birthday. I made cupcakes. For her second birthday, my sister came to visit and brought her a doll and some accessories. Her little sister was arriving a month later and she thought some "practice" with a baby would be fun. Honestly, we don't like birthday parties because no matter what you say about gifts, people always bring them and we just don't want any more stuff than we already have. She's just two and was more excited to see her aunt than anything else. We will keep it as low key as long as possible!

new_mommy25
03-24-2008, 03:57 AM
We did a huge first birthday party for both of my kids so by the second we were burned out. Plus, at two, they really don't have any close friends.

For DS we went to dinner at Chuckie Cheese. Grandparents, cousin, aunt, and uncles came too. Then we went back home for cake and presents. It was nice and mellow.

DD is turning two in May. I am planning to take her, DS, and my nephew to Build a Bear at the mall. Then we will go to dinner at a restaurant-probably Macaroni Grill because they are close by and kid friendly. Extended family will be there as well (Grandparents etc.).

elephantmeg
03-24-2008, 08:01 AM
we did a limited # ppl at home lunch party when DS turned 2. I was a month from delivering. We invited a couple kids (DS' cousin (4 mos) and a good friend from church-who actually got croup and didn't come) and DH's cousin's kids (3.5 and 1.5). I planed the menu around DS-hotdogs, tator tots, fruit, chips with chocolate cake. He had a ball, it was super easy and cheap. I didn't do any themed stuff except the Thomas cake (that was a HUGE hit) and Thomas cups for the kids' favor + a book I thought they would enjoy. It was nice and relaxing, then everyone went home and he took a nap.

o_mom
03-24-2008, 08:07 AM
We did a family party - grandparents and cousins. I just made lunch and a cake. We ate lunch, opened presents and had cake. Then the kids played until everyone was ready to go.

SammyeGail
03-24-2008, 08:26 AM
I feel like a horrible parent, lol! My twins were sick the week of their 2nd B'day, all of us the actual day. DH went to work and me and the boys hung around at home, we gave them some of their presents. The next day 2-3 more toys, the next day we finally made a chocolate cake and let the boys make a mess with it, they had a blast, some more toys. This was in November and it was cold. It was warmer the following Saturday so we went to the park.

We probably would have had a family thing but we don't have family nearby. It was also the time we were finding out Jonas had autism so that put a damper on everything.

We were going to have a b'day party at their Mothers Day Out program the week closest, but they were out sick Mon. (b'day Tue.) and Wed. was the Thanksgiving party.

Not that I have any alternatives, well, just ones to avoid, lol!!

Samantha
Noah and Jonas
2 yr old twin boys

m448
03-24-2008, 08:52 AM
I adopted a tradition a friend of mine has when my son was born. Instead of friend parties every year we alternate one year of friend parties (smallish and fun) and then the following year with a nuclear family only trip. The birthday child gets to pick what he wants to do and on his 2nd birthday we went to the zoo. This year when he turns 5 we'll have another friend party as well as when my youngest turns 3.

It's fun for us because it gives us a break from the party planning hubub as well as a pretty cool family day.

lizajane
03-24-2008, 08:59 AM
dylan has surgery on his second birthday. how's that for "something different."

two days later, with a giant cast, we had lunch at mcdonalds with his godfather and he never knew the difference.

2 year old has NO idea that other kids have big parties.

SnuggleBuggles
03-24-2008, 09:59 AM
We just had a family only party.

For his 3rd b-day he invited 3 friends that he was closest too and we just did a regular b-day party (play, cake, presents).

My friend also does small parties and for her ds's 2nd the kids got to decorate the cake with sprinkles amd candy. The party ran like a playdate w/ cake and presents.

Beth

KBecks
03-24-2008, 10:04 AM
We do a family party with grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins and godparents. That still ends up to be 15-20 people so a big party in my book.

This coming year I'm thinking of just having the grandparents over or doing a special trip to the zoo. I love seeing family and having the cousins play together at our house, but I am tired of being inundated with toys.

Moneypenny
03-24-2008, 10:05 AM
We don't do big birthday parties no matter the age. For DD's birthday we usually go to the zoo and then out to lunch someplace where she can get mac 'n cheese and chocolate milk. We then go home for cake and ice cream. There are a few summer birthdays in my family so there is usually a generic 'Happy Birthday' family get-together at some point with more cake and ice cream, but that is very low-key as well.

Piglet
03-24-2008, 10:23 AM
Honestly, enjoy it while you can! With DS1 we did a 1st birthday party because we felt we had to. He slept through it. We did a big 2nd birthday because we felt we had to. DS2 had fun but hardly noticed that it was his birthday we were celebrating. Then we skipped #3 because we didn't have fun with #2. Then DS2 was born. We did a joint party for #4. It was fun for all of us. We had a small home party for #5 and we had to bump his #6 birthday to 6.5 since all his friends were out of town on his birthday. DS2... no 1st, 2nd or 3rd party. Mommy and daddy are pooped and DS2 doesn't know the difference. He loves loot bags so to him a party is something that ends with a loot bag. This past birthday I made up 20 loot bags and gave them out to his daycare buddies. He wore a pin that said "I'm 3" and he LOVED it! Go figure. We did cake and presents after dinner with the grandparents and he had a great day. It was SO much better than any of the party shenanigans we went through with DS1. DD is turning 1 in May. There is no chance of a birthday party for her. I have come over to the dark side, LOL!

bethie_73
03-24-2008, 10:45 AM
We did do a party, at Chuck E cheese. Mainly because that is a really big treat, to go and play with Tokens. We had a total of 6 guests. (2 sets of siblings). The party was mainly for me. I wanted to get out of the house and I invited Mommies that I get along with, and they are kids we play with alot.

That said, DS had fun, but probably would have been fine with no party.

maestramommy
03-24-2008, 10:46 AM
Actually we didn't have any party for Dora's 2nd birthday. In fact, we barely managed to mark it at all. I was just exhausted since Arwyn was only 4 months old, and we didn't think it would matter to Dora personally. So I got a TJ's muffin and stuck a 2 cake marker in it. We sang Happy Birthday, and took a few pics. It's sad and funny in a way because in the pic I'm holding Dora in front of me, and Arwyn is lying on the couch behind us. Then we let her open a couple of gifts. She had a lot between us and the relatives so she opened one a day for the rest of the week. That's about all her attention span would allow, so it worked out.

For her third birthday I think she would understand a lot better and actually have fun. She's been to a few big parties in the last few months, so she understands the concept of "Happy" , the cake, good food, etc.

Of all of Dora's friends with younger sibs, I saw quite a few 1 year parties, but very few 2 year parties LOL!

spunkybaby
03-24-2008, 11:30 AM
2 year old has NO idea that other kids have big parties.

Actually, I think it depends on whether the 2-year-old has been to other birthday parties. DD is one of the youngest (by just a few months) in her playgroup, and the others have birthdays very close together. So by the time she turned 2, she had been to several birthday parties for the kids in her playgroup and knew to blow out her candles and everything.

Just wanted to offer a different perspective that it depends on the individual kid and the kid's reference group.

Melanie
03-24-2008, 11:34 AM
Well for Ds we just had a family party with the nearest Grandparents and then others came to visit on their own in the next couple of weeks. He had a great time, as he knew nothing else. I was still traumatized by his first birthday party and was in no desire to host a 2nd! By the time that Dd was two she'd been to at least a half-dozen birthday parties including the one of her closest friend a month prior. So, we felt she needed a party and would enjoy it. We had a backyard party for the closest friends in our playgroup (which with siblilngs has doubled since Ds was little!), as well as grandparents.

If you don't think your Dd would miss a party, then why not a special birthday outing like a zoo, or children's museum? Even if it's someplace she goes often and adores, it's different if Daddy (or grandma or whomever) gets to come that usually does not. Or someplace new!?

Melanie
03-24-2008, 11:39 AM
I adopted a tradition a friend of mine has when my son was born. Instead of friend parties every year we alternate one year of friend parties (smallish and fun) and then the following year with a nuclear family only trip. The birthday child gets to pick what he wants to do and on his 2nd birthday we went to the zoo. This year when he turns 5 we'll have another friend party as well as when my youngest turns 3.

Great tradition! Ds actually picked a trip instead of a party this year. In the past (read before school tuition) he used to get a party AND a day or weekend trip/outing but now he can't have both. Plus Dd's b-day is only 2 months prior so we're still in party recovery mode by the time his comes. I was relieved he picked a trip instead!

m448
03-24-2008, 09:15 PM
Great tradition! Ds actually picked a trip instead of a party this year. In the past (read before school tuition) he used to get a party AND a day or weekend trip/outing but now he can't have both. Plus Dd's b-day is only 2 months prior so we're still in party recovery mode by the time his comes. I was relieved he picked a trip instead!

he really loves it - for his 4th birthday last year I arranged for a tour at our local firestation and he got to get hands on with all 4 engines (which they were tuning up so he got to peek under the hood, big deal for a tool loving toddler) and they even had a call right when our visit was ending. He had a blast and so did his younger brother.

As a homeschooler I'm looking forward to the next few years and see what the boys request for their birthday trips.

kransden
03-25-2008, 09:18 AM
I don't think the kids really understand birthday parties and their scale until kindergarten. Before, dd would be happy with a cupcake and hope they had balloons. She <i> knew </i> she had to bring a present and sing 'Happy Birthday'.

Now the kids really plan and discuss each others parties before and after the fact. Plus the competition starts.

egoldber
03-25-2008, 09:38 AM
I don't think a 2 year would generally care. Sarah didn't care until she was 4. Since then, she's been all about the party. She LOVES birthday parties. Loves to go, loves to pick out a present, she loves every part of it LOL!! There is no competition in her, she just adores parties. Which is very not like *me* so its kind of interesting.

For Sarah's first 4 birthdays, I had a party at home with a "theme". The theme was basically used for invites, paper products and the cake. DH loves to decorate cakes, that's his thing. I invited a few playgroup friends and neighbors and had a cookout. Maybe 15-20 people? For us, it was as much a chance to socialize with our friends as it was for her birthday. This is what we did for Amy's 1st too and probably will for her second.

Starting with her 5th party, Sarah's circle was too big and the kids too old and rowdy for me to feel comfortable having it in our home. We started doing away from home parties. For her 5th we did Build a Bear and for her 6th we had a party at the zoo.

This year I plan to offer her a choice of a party or a special trip.