PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hear of Kaplan University...Teaching an online course???

daisy1234
03-24-2008, 05:12 PM
I was thinking about applying to teach an online class. Anyone have experience with this!? Should I go fo it!!!! I would love to teach....DD is going into Preschool in the Fall and I would love to teach college...I found a position for PT and I fit the qual. I would just love to hear from someone who does this!

daisy1234
03-26-2008, 02:26 PM
anyone even teach or take a course online? Kaplan has a lot of positions opened.

jhrabosk
03-26-2008, 02:30 PM
Oh, I'm glad you bumped this! I was thinking about it yesterday b/c I had been trying to remember info for you.

I don't know anything about Kaplan, but my cousin has been teaching online for University of Phoenix for years now. He loves it.

Seems worth a try...what do you have to lose? Will you share where you saw the job listings?

caheinz
03-26-2008, 03:53 PM
I don't know much about them except impressions from their test prep programs (MCAT, PCAT, etc).

From that, my impression isn't great. They've hired former students of mine (while they were still undergrad students) to teach their courses that I would not hire, and that's where the impression comes from. I don't think their standards are very high, at least for that part of their programs.

So, I guess it depends on what you want from it. If you want to do it because it sounds like a fun way to make some money, go for it. If you want to use it as a stepping stone to teach elsewhere, I'd be more careful.

daisy1234
03-26-2008, 07:22 PM
Here are some job listings for Kaplan:

https://sjobs.brassring.com/en/asp/tg/cim_searchresults.asp?ref=132008101413&AgentID=4715750&Function=runquery&partnerid=375&siteid=138

Axia College (Part of Phoenix Univ) :

https://ecampus.phoenix.edu/content/leadinterestform/default.aspx?orga=96

daisy1234
03-26-2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks everyone! I did apply but I am also applying at a "real" University as well. I like the idea of the online teaching because I don't have to drive which is a plus since I am home with my little ones. I also don't have family close by so if I can have a job with this kind of flexibility it would be good. Also many Regular universities are now teaching online to increase $ so I think it would be a plus to have this experience as teaching online has its own sets of challenges.... I have an article I can post. Many classroom faculty have no interest in trying online. It isn't for everyone you really have to foster the "online community" in your virtual classroom. Universities have to train clasroom faculty to be able to teach online so that they can be effective! I have gotten a lot of great info from a mom I met on the Disney dboards and she loves teaching online...mainly because it is flexible and she can be at home. I would love to hear from others...I just love everyones opinions! Thanks ladies!