PDA

View Full Version : The dogs water bowl and DD

trales
03-24-2008, 10:34 PM
How do you keep DC out of the dogs water bowl? It has a homing beacon, she finds it, grabs it and splashes in it. Where can I put it that the dogs can still drink and DD can't get it?

FYI: Only one dog will drink out of the toilet, so getting rid of the water bowl and using the toilet is not an option.

vludmilla
03-24-2008, 10:36 PM
I have no answers for this but I would love to hear what others have to say. DD is a huge fan of the cat food dish and water bowl.

bubbaray
03-24-2008, 11:05 PM
We put our dog's water/food bowls (elevated feeding center) on the OTHER side of the baby gate, in a hallway. Its visible to us/him from the kitchen/family room, but gives him peace when he drinks/eats and keeps busy hands out of the bowls. He has full access to the bowls when we're out. If we are home and he wants to drink, he just stands at the gate and we let him through. He often wants through so he can go upstairs for some peace and quiet anyway.

niccig
03-24-2008, 11:53 PM
After DS dumped the water for the 3rd time in one day, we bought the Buddy Bowl

http://www.amazon.com/Orginal-Buddy-Bowl-2-Gal/dp/B0002768DY

Most of the water is kept in the lid, you can tip it over and no water spills out.

cellenly
03-25-2008, 12:18 AM
At crawling stage, I only had 3 rules for DD. No touching the outlets and wires (computer, tv, etc), the kitty food/water, and the water dispenser. I took the advice of Burton White's "new first three years of life" and vigilantly restrained her --basically time out for crawlers. It worked. I can't remember how long it took because I worked on one rule then added another then another. I think it took a couple of weeks maybe for a rule to stick though she tested me here & there sporadicly. Later on, she lost interest in the kitty food/water so it became a non issue. Now at almost 2 years, she's still tempted w/ the water dispenser though, but she knows it's off limits.

btw, I would highly recommend Burton White's book. I think it's one of the best recommendations I've gotten from BBB.

Momof3Labs
03-25-2008, 09:11 AM
The Buddy Bowl (link posted above) is awesome. Works great.

But your dogs don't need access to water 100% of the time. They will be just fine if they can get water when you are gone, in the evenings and at naptime - if they need it at another time, they'll learn to ask.

trales
03-25-2008, 09:23 AM
How big is the opening in the top. Could a 140 lb Newfoundland get his huge nose in there? Could a mentally challenged lab figure it out?

I will check out that book, I have been trying something similar, but I don't think that I have been vigilant and consistent enough with the 'consequence'.

Momof3Labs
03-25-2008, 09:25 AM
The Buddy Bowl opening is tapered, like an upside-down ice cream cone. My Labs have all done just fine with it - none of them (and we've had quite a few come through the house) have batted an eye at it.

elephantmeg
03-25-2008, 11:48 AM
our dog's food and water is in the main bathroom. The dog scratches at the door to let us know she wants in. She also only gets fed 2x day and inhales her food. When DS is napping/down for the night/we leave, we leave the door open. Actually now it's open a lot, it seemed to be a phase that he is mostly over, if he is playing in it, I tell him no and close the door. If he opens it then I put a door knob cover on it...