PDA

View Full Version : Toys for a 1 y/o

jent
03-25-2008, 11:28 AM
Looking back, what were some of your kids' favorite toys when they were 1? DD's first birthday is just around the corner, and I feel a little lame posting for gift ideas, but it seems to me that the toys that look great to adults aren't necessarily the ones loved by kids. And I got some great ideas for Xmas from a thread someone started then, so I thought I'd ask.

TIA,

Jen

katydid1971
03-25-2008, 12:00 PM
A few that were popular with DS then and still are a tunnel he could crawl through (I bought it at Ikea) and a rocking toy, ours is a little tikes blue plastic dog. He also loved his fisher price pop corn push toy (you know the one you had as a little kid). He still plays with these toys and I think all together they were about $50.

deannanb
03-25-2008, 12:09 PM
tunnel, tent, balls, - if you don't have it, the leap frog learning table

Tondi G
03-25-2008, 12:50 PM
a push behind/ride on toy (we had a fire truck one that both our boys loved), radio Flyer walker wagon, little tikes Cozy Coupe, ball blast thing, leap frog table (we have an older intellitable similar idea), Easel for chalk and painting, wooden blocks, bath toys, tent and tunnel (ikea is where we got ours), PBK anywhere chair, trike.

All the kids on my block loved this when they were around a year

http://www.flowergirldressforless.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Flower-Girl&Category_Code=170

Leapfrog Magnetic Fridge Farm

http://www.flowergirldressforless.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Flower-Girl&Category_Code=170

HTH's ya!

~Tondi

brittone2
03-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Instruments (DS still using some at age 4 that he got around 1 year old). Things like tambourine, harmonica, drum, etc.

Tent/tunnel combo like the Ryan's Room ones. DS and DD play this together (DD is 15 months and has been using the tunnel/tent since before she was 1). Good lasting play value IMO.

On the practical side, DS got his Kinderzeat when he was around 15 ish months. He's still using it at age 4 daily. DD has a Tipp Topp from Kettler, which is IMO okay, but she covets DS's KZ LOL.

Guidecraft Learning tower. One of our best investments ever. It is used almost daily. DS and DD share it now. DS started using around 15ish months? DD has been using it since she was right around a year old, but DS would not have been safe on it at that age.

Swing to hang from tree or porch

Anything they can push (push cart, shopping cart, ball popper, DD likes a Selecta push thing we have with a clown that bounces up and down on a little horse as you push)

Manipulatives like a ring stacker, pegboard, nesting/stacking cups or blocks, etc.

DD likes her Haba ball track (the Rock N Roll one w/ a bigger ball, not a marble sized one). She and DS play with it together quite a bit. Selecta makes something similar.

Play kitchen to grow into (DD plays with this a bit at 15 months. DS started right around the same age. He used it more around 18 months, and then at 2 it became a total favorite toy).

Nice car or truck to play with. Maplelandmark sells some cute stuff. DD likes stuff that rolls.

Easel...again, more of a toy to grow into but DD and DS both started using around 13-15 months for short periods of time. We have a cheapo 2nd hand plastic one on the deck that they use outside for painting, and a wooden one w/ white board and chalk board for inside play.

Ride on toys that they propel w/ feet. Radio Flyer makes a tiny trike. We have the old style of this toy and it sits lower than some of our other ride on toys, so DD can push with her feet much better. DS got his Kiddio Supertrike 4 for his 2nd bday (pushbar, etc. on it as part of the model). DD sits on it now for periods of time and enjoys it. It would again be something to grow into and YMMV with how steady/secure a one year old would be on it. DD is much more gross motor oriented than DS was at this age.

First doll (DD likes hugging babies right now, but that's about the extend of her baby play at 15 months so far.)

Playsilks

CDs (we're still listening to some we got when DS was under 1). Justin Roberts, Lauri Berkner, Raffi, They Might Be Giants, etc.

Bead maze, but not all kids love stuff like this. We have one from DS and bring it down out of the attic periodically. DD seems to enjoy it, but I know not all kids are into stuff like this.

Kid sized table and chairs to grow into. Beanbag chair or small child sized arm chair.

Books. Can't go wrong :)

Unit block starter set. Again, more of something to grow into.

Balls for sure. Gertie, O-ball, etc. are all fun variations.

Starter art supplies (big crayons or block crayons, paper, etc. My kids started using the Stockmar watercolors around 14-15 months outside for short periods of time).

Small rocking horse, etc. DD was loving one of the big ones on springs recently at someone else's house recently.

HTH

bluestar2
03-25-2008, 06:03 PM
One thing that stands out in my mind was the Cozy Coupe.

giavila
03-25-2008, 06:11 PM
All of the above suggestions are really good. I have 2 DD's and all the things mentioned here were hits around around that age.

For DD1 we got her Little People sets, books, and PBK Anywhere Chair. DD2 got instruments to add to our collection, books & a Cozy Coupe.

August Mom
03-26-2008, 03:14 PM
Gertie ball - DS loved this!
O-Ball
Handle Haulers (Little Tikes truck with a handle to carry around)
Leap Frog Radio (DS loved this; me, not so much)
Chicco Play 'n Ride Train

hellbennt
03-26-2008, 07:50 PM
this was a hit!

http://www.kushies.com/Cataloque/toys/zolo/stacrobats/stacrobats.htm

jent
03-29-2008, 08:56 PM
Wow, thanks for all the great suggestions, everyone! Some of this stuff I would _never_ have heard of, like the learning tower and the stacrobats.

Jen