PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite WDW guidebook?

clc053103
03-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Lisa Birnbaum? the Unofficial? WDW for Kids?

And I'm not opposed to buying more than one!

belovedgandp
03-25-2008, 08:40 PM
I got a lot out of the Unofficial Guide. The message board were informative (disboards specifically) but quickly overwhelming to me.

onjbj
03-26-2008, 08:59 AM
I like Birnbaum, although I found that the 2008 Edition had a few mistakes in it- especially in terms of changes to the Dining Plan. I used the 2006 Edition like a Bible for my trip in 2006. I skimmed the 2008 Edition for my upcoming trip and other than a few mistakes, it's still a great guide. The website "intercot" is also an amazing resource with menus, photos, and a great discussion board.

Karin

clc053103
03-27-2008, 07:59 AM
Thanks, I bought Birnbaum and Unofficial- and Birnbaum for kids for DN- my sister and I are reading each, then exchanging. Unofficial seems waaaay overwhelming but covers literally everything!

LaurelC
03-27-2008, 09:29 AM
I like the Unofficial Guide the best, hands down. I really liked the touring plans in the book - although we didn't follow any of them to the letter, we used the general principles of them when deciding what to ride when, etc.

I also really like the disboards.

egoldber
03-27-2008, 09:46 AM
The thing to remember with the guide books is that they are usually out of date by the time they go to print. This is especially true for information about food and the dining plan. So its good to supplement them with more current information like at disboards.

You don't need to read disboards all the time, but I would read them for about 2 weeks now and then for about 2 weeks before you leave. After 2 weeks, the information starts getting pretty repetitive so most people tend to ask the same questions.

clc053103
03-27-2008, 12:04 PM
excellent suggestions- thanks! Right now we are frantically trying to get dining reservations as we are right at the 180 day point.

colleenfs
03-31-2008, 08:34 PM
I prefer Tour Guide Mike (http://www.tourguidemike.com/)to a guidebook. It's a wonderful resource!

Rainbows&Roses
04-12-2008, 08:09 PM
I prefer Tour Guide Mike (http://www.tourguidemike.com/)to a guidebook. It's a wonderful resource!

So will tour guide Mike provide everything that books and disney message boards will? I am a big internet researcher, but I am way overwhelmed by the 3 or 4 Disney boards I have checked out. I looked at a few books at Borders today and they were good for an overview, but I could sense they were already out of date on a few things.

So basically my question is, it better to invest $20 in a book (and supplementing with free message boards) or just go straight to tour guide Mike? We will likely be going sometime between this Fall and next spring at a non-busy time if that matters. TIA!

kboyle
04-15-2008, 09:44 PM
ok, i have the unofficial guide w/ kids & also just signed up with Tourguidemike. both seem pretty invaluable.
i also have the 2008 unofficial that i got a couple days ago before finding TGM and will return it as i don't think it'll be necessary since i already have the w/kids version.

momofjandl
04-27-2008, 04:24 PM
We used unofficial and loved it. I must say that a Dis trip needs to be planned to a T for anyone to make the most of it and really enjoy it. I spent months planning, reading, getting ressies, etc. and we had a great time.

We came home and Dh had a coworker who went after us with much older kids (ours were only 3 and 1.5 at the time) and he didn't plan. He came back and said it was a nightmare and they had a horrible time.

We just picked up the unofficial for our trip in May to Disland.

designermv
05-22-2008, 09:38 AM
Unoffcial Guide and Passporter. I like Birnbaum well enough but it's not nearly as comprehensive as the other two, and I get a little crazy with my research.

kboyle
06-19-2008, 09:21 PM
now that i've had time to actually USE tourguidemike as my nov hrs just came up this is def the best $20 i've spent in regards to planning my dis trip.

the site and forum is great with such helpful people :)

mnosky1
06-21-2008, 11:27 PM
I think you can get everything (and more) with TourGuideMike but even as a Disney veteran I found the site overwhelming. I would say check out books from the librrary and get yourself fmailiar with the basics before doing much on the TGM site. Also if you link to TGM from disboards (another great but overwhleming resource) there is usually a discount.
If you do just a book - Unoffical guide
Michelle

jessmela
06-23-2008, 09:32 PM
My favorite resource is actually not a book-- it's TourGuideMike.com. It has the advantage that Mike gives specific planning advice for each day of the year, and he can update/change it (whereas with a book things can be out of date before they're even printed). I also love the forums there-- great people who are always willing to help you plan a great trip. I've been to WDW 5 or 6 times now, all throughout the year, and using TGM's advice I've never waited more than 5-10 minutes max for a ride.