PDA

View Full Version : safe sand??

bethie_73
03-25-2008, 04:19 PM
I did a search and I didn't see anything so I thought I'd ask.

There is dangerous play sand? This is what I read,

There are two types of sand on the market: beach (or river) sand and sand made from crushed rock. It is the second type (crushed rock sand) that may contain asbestiform tremolite or crystalline silica. Occupational studies show that workers exposed for long periods to these substances are at higher risk of asbestosis and lung cancer. Safer sand is on the market. We suggest that parents purchase granular (not fine) beach or river sand for children’s playgrounds and sandboxes to be on the safe side, since beach sand does not contain asbestiform tremolite. Crushed rock sand tends to be finer, whiter and dustier than beach sand. Beach and river sand may be a little harder to find, however.

Am I the last to know about this, and does anyone know if this is really a big deal?

TIA

bluestar2
03-25-2008, 05:49 PM
I know there is a kind of sand they sell at harware stores which are unsuitable for play sand. I think they use it for sandblasting buildings etc. That may be the second type of sand. I wouldn't buy that kind of sand for DC to play in. At Home Depot, they also sell what is labeled as play sand. IIRC the bag doesn't specify if it's of beach or river origin, though. It is brown and relatively coarse.

new_mommy25
03-25-2008, 05:56 PM
We bought Play Sand from Toysrus. It's about $5-6 for a 25 lb. bag. You ususally don't need as much sand as is recommended on the sand box or table (in my experience). For instance, our sand table said to use 150 lbs. of sand but we put in 100 and it was more than enough.

I have heard that Home Depot sells play sand as well. It's probably cheaper than Toysrus. I called my local store and they didn't carry it so that's why I went the Toysrus route.

deannanb
03-25-2008, 08:05 PM
Be sure you only buy sand that is labeled "safe for sand box" or play sand -
any other sand is used for construction and contains glass pieces and chemicles. (I worked in a hardware store for 3 summers and learned all about sand)

ellies mom
03-25-2008, 09:51 PM
We bought Play Sand from Toysrus. It's about $5-6 for a 25 lb. bag. You ususally don't need as much sand as is recommended on the sand box of table (in my experience). For instance, our sand table said to use 150 lbs. of sand but we put in 100 and it was more than enough.

I have heard that Home Depot sells play sand as well. It's probably cheaper than Toysrus. I called my local store and they didn't carry it so that's why I went the Toysrus route.

We checked out the "play sand" at Home Depot and were very unimpressed. We ended up going with the Toys R Us sand instead.