PDA

View Full Version : starting running question

npace19147
03-25-2008, 04:59 PM
I am once again thinking about trying to get into running. I was looking at one of the couch potato to 5k running programs and it recommends starting out with walk/run intervals - 60 sec. run / 90 sec walk and increasing from there.

I can see how that would be easy to keep track of on a treadmill, but how do you keep track of the intervals if you're running outside? I would think it would be a PITA to keep looking at a watch or a stopwatch. Am I overthinking this? Thanks!

neeter
03-27-2008, 01:31 PM
Timely message! I'm going to do the same thing, and I've found this website:

http://www.djsteveboy.com/podrunner.html

It has mixes matched right up to C25K program, so that it will signal when its time to walk/run. The downloads are free. You have to dig a little to find the week 1 mixes, but they are there!

Good lukc!!

WatchingThemGrow
03-27-2008, 02:30 PM
I'm not one for following a "plan" but what I like to do each time I "start" running again, is to walk a little way, then RUN to the next stopsign, walk a little way, then RUN to the next pretty house, etc. That keeps me motivated because I'm looking at things, rather than just at my watch/etc. I may be with you on this plan. DH and I ran to a friend's house the other night when g'parents were watching DC. It didn't suck, so I may give it a go. I need my clothes to be comfy again.

npace19147
03-27-2008, 03:14 PM
Thanks mamas! I meant to post an update...a friend had recommended the podrunner podcast, and I also found another one called podcasts for running which does the same thing. I might mix them up for variety.

I did the first run yesterday and it did kinda suck but I need to do this and get back into shape.

Any interest in a running group for support? I'm aiming at running the Race for the Cure on Mother's Day and could use some external support/motivation!

elizabethkott
03-27-2008, 09:37 PM
I've been trying to do the couchpotato to 5K thing too! It's really hard with my schedule right now, but after tomorrow, it should get a bit easier (I have my hs kids doing a performance). I did the first 60sec walk/90sec run on Monday, and yup, it did suck... and I haven't been back on the treddy (oops). It's just really hard for me to motivate myself to get up at 5am for some good 'ole self-inflicted torture, kwim? I do want to do it, however. :) really. I do!!!
Thanks for the info on the podcasts... I'm assuming they're on iTunes?

tylersmama
03-27-2008, 11:08 PM
The podcasts are a great idea. Also, if you decide to get serious about running, a good running watch (or better yet, a GPS like the Garmin Forerunner 305 (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142&pID=349) ...which I got a fabulous deal on at Costco before xmas, $180!) will be able to help you with this. You can program a lot of the "nicer" watches to alarm at intervals to help you out. I love love love :love-retry: my Garmin...it's awesome. Did I mention that I love it? :p

Another tool that has been crucial for my running is www.mapmyrun.com (http://www.mapmyrun.com). It's a great site that uses googlemaps. You can use it to plan out your run, or to figure out the distance of a route that you already ran. It also has tools to keep track of your training, including the mileage on your shoes, and if you do ever get a Garmin, you can download the info straight into the site and it'll plot out the googlemap for you. Really, really cool stuff.

Also, I just wanted to say (to all of you trying to get going) :bighand:! Getting started is often the hardest part, keep it up and it will develop into a habit. You'll be amazed at the things you can do!!! :jammin:

Last year at this time, I was pretty much a couch potato. I was hiking with DS a few times a week, but that was it for my exercise, nothing too strenuous. And I would have laughed at you if you would have told me that I would become a runner. But I have, and in less than a week and a half, I will be running my first half-marathon (eek!). I started off walk/jogging. Then worked up to jogging very slowly (think 12 minute + miles). I am now running 9 minute miles, and still getting faster. I used to hate running. Then I disliked it. Then I could take it or leave it. Now I actually kind of like it! ;) And I've lost 40 pounds in the process...ok, stress had a little to do with that, but my exercise program certainly contributed!

So stick with it...the beginning sucks, and there are still days that I dread my scheduled run, but I pretty much always feel GREAT afterward, and proud of what I've accomplished. :cheerleader1:

ETA: Signing up for a race is a great motivating factor, BTW! If you've already laid out the money, you know you have to do it! You don't have to be a superstar, but if you paid for it, you want to finish it. Anyway you can get across the finish line works. That's what got me through my first triathlon last summer, and now I'm hooked.

elizabethkott
03-28-2008, 10:30 AM
Gaye -
WOW!
Thanks for the info AND the inspiration!!!
You rock!

tylersmama
03-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Aw shucks, thanks! :o

If I (who never ever ever even wanted to THINK about becoming a runner) can do it, anyone can! :cheerleader1:

And I just wanted to add that as much as it sucks, pushing a jogging stroller (which I do at least 75% of my runs) is a good thing...it makes you work that much harder, so that when you have the opportunity to run without it, you just feel like you're flying! :wink2:

army_mom
09-23-2008, 09:07 AM
I know this is a little late adding to the post but Nike has a running device that goes with the Ipod Nano and it tracks your runs and pace/distance. You can just push the button on it and it will tell you your current pace and distance. You can set your workout for distance or time. Then you can upload all of your runs online to Nike and track how well you are doing and the progress that you have made over the weeks. I like it because sometimes I *feel* like I am running really, really slow and in reality I am not running that slow. It is only about $25 and simply attaches to your Ipod. The chip is meant to go into Nike running shoes in the built in slot but I only run in Asics so I got a little pouch that velcros to the shoelaces (about $5 on amazon.com) and it works just fine!

http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/

nupe
09-23-2008, 12:25 PM
I I got a little pouch that velcros to the shoelaces (about $5 on amazon.com)

That sounds really cool. Do you mind posting more info about the pouch you got to hold it?
Thanks,

npace19147
09-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Funny to see this thread start back up! I am actually in my last week of the couch to 5k plan and am signed up for a 5k this weekend.

I got the Ipod nano / nike attachment thing, it is working well so far. I got a velcro pouch for the sensor as well, it is by a company called Nathan (I believe) and it was $10. The main thing I found is that you have to have the correct side facing up or it won't register your runs. GL!

army_mom
09-24-2008, 01:17 AM
This is the pouch I have. $6.99 at amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Pouch-Compatible-SportBand-Screen-Protector/dp/B00131X9J4/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1222233129&sr=8-1

If you search Nike Ipod pouch on amazon a few more options pop up. I like this one because it is velco and easy to attach/unattach if you change shoes.

GL in your race!

bubbaray
09-24-2008, 12:07 PM
A girlfriend and I have been kinda running (run walk) all summer and she signed us up for a run group/clinic at a local running specialty store. Now, keep in mind that I've run pretty much my whole life, done countless 5ks, 10ks, 1/2 marathons and 4 marathons -- ditto for my girlfriend. Both of us have taught 1/2 marathon and marathon clinics in the past. And, this isn't the distant past either -- 5 years ago for me, 2 years ago for her. HOwever, our runs this summer have been pretty "leisurely" to put it mildly.

But, WOW, I ran so hard on Monday night at the group that I seriously thought I was gonna puke. I saw stars driving home. Yesterday, I felt about 100 years old, today I feel about 80. And, tonight is the speedworkout. OUCH. I'm gonna find the slowest group for the speed stuff b/c I seriously can NOT run any faster than I did on Monday (which was only supposed to be a tempo run....

I highly recommend finding a running group. Obviously, my girlfriend and I (who I would say are experienced runners) have been running far too slow all summer. Running in a group is the best motivation!

npace19147
09-24-2008, 12:17 PM
This is a followup question about the 5k I'm running this Saturday.

I've been following the C25k running plan, and this is the final week of the plan. I ran 30 minutes this morning and I felt so awful, I felt like I might throw up. (I think I'm catching DD2's cold.) And, even though I ran for 30 min, I know I didn't do 5k, I was probably 1/2 mile - 1 mile under that.

So what's my best bet for the 5k on Saturday? I was planning on just doing a mile or so on Friday so I wasn't too tired on Saturday. What are my odds for running the whole 5k? Or should I plan on walking some of it? I really don't want to do that, but I don't want to throw up in front of my entire family either. :)

tylersmama
09-24-2008, 04:33 PM
I would just wait and see how you feel. Take the rest of the week off if you need to. At this point, your training is done, and it's not going to go away between now and then. It's your first race, so your goal should be primarily just to finish it, and not worry so much about speed, so if you don't get out to run between now and then, don't sweat it too much. See how you feel race morning. I wouldn't necessarily *plan* on running, but definitely be open to it, and do it if you need to! One strategy that I use in longer races is to walk the aid stations. It gives me a chance to drink a little and also to recover. Now, there may not necessarily be aid stations for a 5k, but most races have at least one. One of the most important strategy tips is to make sure you don't go out too fast. It's so easy to get caught up in the excitement of the start and let adrenaline carry you. Before you know it you're running WAY under your planned pace and there's no way to sustain it. So, let all the people that sprint out of the starting gate go...chances are good that you'll catch up to them later when they're fading from going out too fast! ;)

Most of all, have fun! I love racing...I got totally addicted to it this past spring. I'm not ever going to win anything or even place in my age group, most likely, but it's still a blast, and I love competing against myself and pushing myself to see what I can do!

Good luck!

MmeSunny
12-02-2008, 11:02 PM
I've been doing one of the podcast couch to 5k deals too. I really like the "chubby jones podcast" which is a girl (woman) who is doing the run at the same time as you and you can hear her sweating and breathing hard, which sounds kind of creepy as I write it, but she gives a lot of encouragement that I REALLY NEED. I did use the Podcasts for Running, but I didn't like the guy so much so I'm back to Chubby. I love her.

Admittedly, I have had to do Week one for a month now. (I'm very . . fluffy.) But just today I did Week 2 and I'm so PROUD OF MYSELF. Seriously, like Nike says, just do it. You'll feel so good about yourself. A bunch of people at my school ran a half marathon this year and every body was asking everybody else if they were going to do it too. I want to be asked to do it next year, so I'm working on it now!

I never think about it as "I'm going to run for 3 miles" (which at this point I don't, but anyway) I always think "I can do this for 60/90 seconds. It's just a minute (and a half)" It gets me through to the next walk anyway.