PDA

View Full Version : Making baby food--how long will it last frozen?

sunnydays
03-25-2008, 06:56 PM
I am not due until June, and realize that baby will not start any type of solids at least until 6 months, but I have time and food on my hands now, so I am wondering if it is too early to mash and freeze fruits and veggies? I am a chef and we can not re-serve our meals, but I am free to take extras with me. I am the only one that orders, preps and serves it, and it is high quality stuff, so I am not worried about germs, temps etc., and it all comes in fresh or frozen. I know what the standards say for commercial food prep, but unsure of home prep for baby food. The food would be frozen the same day it is prepared and in an industrial deep freeze, so I am inclined to think it is safe, nutritious and tasty enough to go ahead and start making a stash that will be used within a year.

Any thoughts? Or any online or book resources that would help me?

jhrabosk
03-26-2008, 02:25 PM
One of my favorite resources is Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron and I'm fairly certain that she'd give a bit N-O to a year. She's a little on the extreme side though, for my taste.

On the other hand, I'm not 100% sure whether I'd be comfortable freezing for a year. Personally, it's not really a question of safety, but freshness and taste. I don't think we ever froze more than we could use in about a month. If you're going to vacuum seal, maybe longer, but a year is a long time.