PDA

View Full Version : What do we need for the pool?

1964pandora
03-26-2008, 10:41 AM
I have a 3.5 year old and a 2 year old. This will be the first summer that we venture out to our neighborhood pool on a regular basis, so I'm trying to get all of the gear that we'll need to be able to spend a couple of hours at a time there.

I don't want to go overboard and buy a lot of unnecessary things (I'm a marketer's dream sometimes!) so I was hoping that I could get some advice on the essentials. I mostly want the essentials, but I also want them to have the "must-have" items to enjoy the pool, too.

So far, I have purchased long sleeved rash guards, sunglasses and hats. I bought a small, soft sided cooler from Landsend for snacks and drinks. (Do most people bring food and drinks for their kids?)

I don't understand the whole swim diaper thing. Can we just use swim diapers under a bathing suit, or do we need plastic pants over the swim diaper? I can't seem to locate any plastic pants that go over a swim diaper!

I don't understand swim accessories like vests, flotation devices, etc. AT ALL! Do we need wingy things? tubey things? I just don't know.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, at this age, if you're just one parent taking two small kids to the pool, should I expect that we'll spend most of our time sitting around the kiddie pool? Do you need fewer items if your kids are just "swimming" in the kiddie pool?

I know, I just don't have a clue about kids and swimming... Is it really just a nightmare for one parent to take two kids this age to the pool, or does everyone do it?

Thanks so much in advance!

Susan

Gena
03-26-2008, 11:29 AM
I only take have one child, but I'll tell you a little about what we do.

You don't need plasctic pants with a swim diaper. Your child can wear them alone or under the swimsuit. If you will be going to the pool often, it will be cheaper to buy a couple of reusable swim diapers or swimsuits with built-in swim diapers than to keep buying packages of disposable swim diapers.

Our community pool/waterpark does not allow water wings, pool noodles, or any floatation devices that are not USCG approved. This varies by community. I bring my son's vest to use in the big pool. DS takes swim lessons year round, but has more confidence in the water than skill, so the vest gets him some freedom to "swim" without me holding onto him. We don't use the vest in the shallow pool (0 inches to 4 feet). In that pool DS likes to run around in the water and go down the kiddie water slides.

I take a cooler with snacks and drinks. Our pool/waterpark has a mandatory rest period every hour - no children are allowed in the water for 10 minutes. We use these times to have our snack.

Sorry I don't have any advice about taking two kids.

SnuggleBuggles
03-26-2008, 11:31 AM
I would add a water noodle and maybe an inflateable thing the younger one can ride in. Like this:
http://trus.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pTRU1-2907200reg.jpg
For the kiddie pool, you will probably want a bucket, some squirt toys, splash bombs, a boat and maybe like a cup. Believe me, you will find lots of good ideas when you go and your dcs start playing with the other kids' toys. But, those are some good basics. be sure and write your name on them.

Wings and stuff aren't usually recommended b/c they give everyone a false sense of security.

You should check with your pool though. The pool I grew up going to and my ds goes to w. g'ma still has a no float or toy rule in the big pool. No noodles either. Don't buy lots of stuff till you find out if you can use it. Same thing goes with food and drink.

I felt like I needed more stuff back in our kiddie pool days. I tend to still feel like I am hauling the world with me when we go to the pool. :)

My friend brings all 3 of her dcs (age 2-5) by herself. She has a rule in the big pool that the kids have to take turns coming in the water while the others sit on the edge unless they can stand and feel comfortable.

My brain is rusty on the pool thing. Don't forget to label things!

Beth

1964pandora
03-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks, this is all great. After reading your posts, I ordered some imse vimse swim diapers that I'm excited about!

Susan

bubbaray
03-26-2008, 12:41 PM
You don't need plasctic pants with a swim diaper. Your child can wear them alone or under the swimsuit. If you will be going to the pool often, it will be cheaper to buy a couple of reusable swim diapers or swimsuits with built-in swim diapers than to keep buying packages of disposable swim diapers.

It depends on your pool/city. I've been to lakes in WA state that didn't allow disposable swim diapers at all (ie., child had to be potty trained to go in the water). Our local YMCA pool requires you to use a plastic swim cover. We use a disposable swim diaper underneath too (for our convenience), but our local health department apparently won't allow disposable swim diapers in public pools.

bubbaray
03-26-2008, 12:46 PM
Have your children been in swimming lessons? I could deal with both my girls at the pool alone, but only b/c DD#1 has been in swimming lessons since she was 5m old and is pretty comfortable in the water. Obviously, I don't let her out of my reach and don't leave her unattended, but it would definitely be a nightmare trying to wrangle one (or two) children who were scared of the water, KWIM?

Our local outdoor pools don't allow drinks other than water and no food on the deck. I'd check your pool's rules on that.

All the swim instructors we've had, plus the lifeguards, are really opposed to water wings. They all prefer PFDs, which are designed to flip the child onto their back and keep their head out of the water. Water wings can keep a child floating face down, obviously a bad thing.

Definitely get a SALT WATER CANVAS bag for the pool. OMG, I just got one and its the best thing EVER. Seriously. I love my bag!!! I got the Whale bag in turquoise and its so cute. It will hold all our towels, has pockets for toys, sunscreen, sunglasses, a keyclip, etc. Love that bag!! :)

HTH

1964pandora
03-26-2008, 12:56 PM
HAHAHA now I just bought the Salt Water Bag in turquoise. I'm going to be in real trouble reading these posts today.

Susan

kcampbell
03-26-2008, 03:46 PM
I have two DDs and last year spent many many days at the pool with them by myself. While it is not by any means easy it is fun and great for them to be outside enjoying themselves. My kids were 2 1/2 and 1 last year (this year they will be even more fun, I am assuming) which was challenging. We used a floatation device sold on One Step Ahead I will try to link it here.... http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1366&cmSource=Search but it is called The Inflatable Aquatic Tot Trainer. I highly recommend this! My oldest DD fully swims already, keep in mind she did this before her two weeks before her 3rd birthday (last summer). She still likes to use it when she gets tired and it gives me a better piece of mind. I just saw that it said not recommended for under 2, and yours are over 2 but I did use it last year with my second DD who won't be 2 until next week! Anyhow-check on your local pools rules for snacks, drinks, and swim diapers they all vary. We do tons of snacks and sometimes even pack lunch b/c it is easier. Our pool has adults only at :45 after the hour every hour so it is a perfect time to rest and eat a snack. They require swim diapers plus some kind of swim pant over them. Most important item to add to your bag is sunscreen! I bring the big ole bottle of 50+ as well as a stick of the stuff. The stick is great for areas like eyelids and of course lips etc.. Hope that helps and good luck!

TahliasMom
03-27-2008, 03:15 AM
i think u got a lot of good ideas. the apt we moved into last summer has a pool so we started using it a lot last. I second the salt water canvas bag - sun block, inflatable rings so dd can "float" around, hat, glasses, towels, water, snacks, etc. we have one set for the beach too!
i bought couple rash guards at target this year. they're short sleeve with bikini bottoms; wish they had shorts for for under $15 each I can't complain.

when dd was little we just used swim diapers under her bathing suit. eventually i bought her a couple rash guards with cloth diaper thing inside. much cheaper than those swim diapers!

have fun

Sugar Magnolia
03-28-2008, 09:24 AM
You have gotten some great advice.

Last summer we spent almost everyday at the pool. Bringing snacks was a must. So many people buy snacks there and they really are just junk. Our pool does not allow coolers, but I would just but it on top of my MBUD and throw the towels over the cooler. Not too honest, but I am not buying c andy and chips for my kids all day!

Make sure you bring more water than you think you will need. We always went through all the KK's we brought.

Have fun!