PDA

View Full Version : Weaning off formula at 1 year and taking a trip..help with intro of milk

HIU8
03-26-2008, 04:38 PM
We are going away for 2 weeks right when DD turns 1. Any suggestions of how I should handle weaning her off formula at that time? With DS we literally threw away his bottles on his first birthday and gave him milk in a sippy and he never looked back (cavaeat: DS was on Alimentum from 2 months on and we weaned him on to soy milk b/c there was a possibility of a milk allergy). I want to do the same for DD--just change her over to whole milk at 1 year. Do you think it is ok to start mixing formula with milk a week before she is 1? Do you think I should take backup bottles and formula on our trip in case she doesn't do cold turkey like DS? Any BTDT?

o_mom
03-26-2008, 04:44 PM
The last thing I would do on a two week trip is change a child's diet. I personally would keep her on her normal formula and bottles until you get back.

elektra
03-26-2008, 05:01 PM
I would just do the same formula routine for the 2 weeks of your vacation.
My DD just turned one 2 weeks ago, and came down with a cold on her birthday. I was planning on replacing one of her bottles with cow's milk, but I just waited a week since I figured it was better to not change up her routine while she was fighting off an illness. So if I was to go on a trip I would just push back the milk thing until I got back. Just my opinion.

manda
03-26-2008, 06:04 PM
We have transitioned our kids to whole milk starting at 11 months and plan to do the same with #3 when the time comes. IIRC, we usually start with 3 parts formula to 1 part milk the first week; then 2:2 the second week; 1:3 the third week and by their 1st birthday they are completely on whole milk.

Tondi G
03-26-2008, 07:28 PM
We have transitioned our kids to whole milk starting at 11 months and plan to do the same with #3 when the time comes. IIRC, we usually start with 3 parts formula to 1 part milk the first week; then 2:2 the second week; 1:3 the third week and by their 1st birthday they are completely on whole milk.

we did the same routine 1:3, 2:2, 3:1 then on to all milk. But I agree with the others that you might want to wait till after your trip to change things up on her. Why mess with milk when you can so easily make up powdered formula as needed! I'd hate for her to have issues (ie constipation, diarrhea etc) with the change and be away from home!

Good Luck