PDA

View Full Version : WWYD--call the police?

s_gosney
03-26-2008, 05:53 PM
UPDATE:
So I called the police and they filed a suspicious behavior report and then sent an officer last night. The guy's story is that he's part of a religious group and they come there for a meeting/activity and that's why they have the bracelets and take the pictures. Not sure why they take pics of other people, but whatever. The officer was satisfied with his story and said that he seemed to be harmless, although a little odd. And there's nothing they can do as he has no warrants out, and there's nothing illegal about taking pictures in a public park. I'm not sure I'm fully convinced, but I did what I could and it is a good reminder to be ever-vigilant. Thanks for all the feedback!

And lisa, it sounds like our dds would get along great. Kylee's always excited to meet another girl with a baby brother; she says their her twins. PM me if you guys decide to go sometime.

I wanted to get some opinions about something that happened last night at our city's concert in the park. There's a man who's always there passing out glow bracelets to the kids. I've thought it was a little odd before, but I'm really creeped out now. Last night we were sitting behind him off to the side and noticed that several times when he gave the kids the bracelets, he took pictures of them (without the parents' knowledge/permission). DH went and talked with some of the parents whose kids' pictures were taken but nothing really came of it then. I noticed that he didn't try to take dd's picture (he knew we were right there and paying attention), and I'm not really sure what would've happened if he had. A little later, he went up front where a large group of kids were dancing/running and started taking pictures of the groups of kids dancing. He took some pictures of the band playing as well. (maybe to not be so obvious?) I'm thinking of calling the police and/or parks and rec just to give them a heads up and ask them to check into it. Do you think that's overkill? Do you think they'll be able/willing to do anything?
From now on we'll just sit on the other side, but it really creeps me out and even moreso that he could easily have pics of dd from prior concerts.

Thanks for any insight.
Sherri
dd 10/03
ds edd 05/08

PS. For anyone who's interested, ds is still unnamed. I really appreciate all the feedback and will keep you posted. (I got bogged down with school and then didn't want to bump the old thread).

Globetrotter
03-26-2008, 06:05 PM
I would call the police non-emergency number before the next event. I don't know if they would take it seriously, though, sad to say. It's not normal for some random guy to go around giving stuff to kids and taking pictures of children. Major red flags!!

Kris

Twoboos
03-26-2008, 06:09 PM
I got creeped out just reading your post!! I would definitely call, just to have it out there even if the police don't do anything but keep an eye on the situation. Sure, maybe it's overkill but if it's bugging you, you'll feel better. It's sad but you can't be too careful.

JustMe
03-26-2008, 06:17 PM
I would call the police and the parks and rec dept. I also have no idea if they would/could do anything, but I sure would want to know that I tried.

lizajane
03-26-2008, 06:18 PM
i know i have taken photos of kids i didn't know before, in an "artistic" way because what they were doing was interesting or they were just really cute. but it sounds like he didn't look like a photographer working on a portfolio (did he have a fancy camera? an equipment bag? did he take adults other than the band?) so i think i would make a call just to say you felt it was inappropriate and suspicious.

maestramommy
03-26-2008, 06:26 PM
giving away free bracelets is one thing (although even that seems odd. What's the catch?), but taking pictures without parents' permission or knowledge is CREEPY no matter who is doing it. I would call the non-emergency number of the police and give them a heads up, ask for any suggestions.

KBecks
03-26-2008, 06:57 PM
Yes, call the police and talk to them about it, then they can decide if they want to go check him out at future concerts.

tnrnchick74
03-26-2008, 07:03 PM
This guy COULD just be a pro/amateur/journalistic photographer just looking for community shots...but GENERALLY these type of people get permission first.

If he gave YOU the creeps, then I think you need to let someone know - either the police or the parks/rec people. Not accusing anyone, but just a person who might warrant a little watching. I know I would hate to think that there was a sexual predator on the loose and I could have done something early on. It might be totally innocent as well.

But trust your instincts!

deannanb
03-26-2008, 07:07 PM
call the police - Non-emergency number. Explain the situation and let them know you'd like to have someone come out for the next family event.

based on the articles I've read about people trying to get the Meth homes out of their neighborhoods - the neighbors kept track of the cars and dates and times in and out of the house.

if the man was taking pictures for the paper or other "community" business, he woulnd't be handing out necklaces for free.

s_gosney
03-26-2008, 07:56 PM
i know i have taken photos of kids i didn't know before, in an "artistic" way because what they were doing was interesting or they were just really cute. but it sounds like he didn't look like a photographer working on a portfolio (did he have a fancy camera? an equipment bag? did he take adults other than the band?) so i think i would make a call just to say you felt it was inappropriate and suspicious.

Good point...he took pics of some adults, but that situation was weird too. These two women walked up to him and said "are you the ____ guys?" (I couldn't hear) and he said something about yeah, where did I meet you/talk to you and she mentioned some bar. Then I heard him talk about how he gives out way more of the bracelets at bars than he does at the park. Anyway, he took a picture of those ladies as well as some of their dog with a glow thing hooked on its collar (I guess he's an equal opportunity weirdo <shudder>).
No fancy camera stuff; just a point and shoot digital.

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'll definitely call.

Sherri
dd 10/03
ds edd 05/08

KBecks
03-26-2008, 08:24 PM
If you are really the investigative type, you could browse through the photos of sex offenders living in your area. That takes time though... I think the police might "know" the registered sex offenders, depending on the size of where you live.

lisams
03-26-2008, 09:41 PM
That is really creepy. I'd be contacting the police and perhaps the city parks and rec. so they can have the park rangers keeping an eye out. It wasn't the Chandler concert in the park was it?

JillSP
03-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Trust your instincts. If it seems creepy, it probably is. I would NEVER give a child anything without a parent's permission and I have never seen anyone handing out glow bracelets for free; there are usually people there trying to make some money selling them.

I don't think I would bother calling the police about it now because I don't think they would/could do anything about it. But, if I saw him doing the same thing at another event, I would find security/police and explain the situation and let them handle it.

It could all be perfectly innocent as some people just don't necessarily think of how their actions could be seen as threatening to parents of children. (My husband bought our house before we were married and the first Halloween he wanted to set up a haunted house in his basement because we have lots of kids on our block; I pointed out to him that as a single man living alone, he should not be inviting neighborhood kids into his basement. He knew what I was talking about after I said it, but it never occurred to him to look at it that way. Lucky for him his girlfriend worked for an appellate court and spent her days reading about creepy guys who wanted to get out of jail.)

I suppose this guy could just really enjoy giving away free things to kids and taking their pictures, but that behavior is also consistent with the behavior of a sexual predator, so I'd say he probably needs a talking to by the police at the next event.

You could check the sex offender list for your state, but that will only show you the ones that have been caught. There are a lot more out there that don't get caught.

o_mom
03-27-2008, 07:55 AM
I would call the non-emergency line and also check the sex offender registry. We had a guy at a neighborhood park who was way too friendly and one of the parents found himon the registry. Unfortunately, it was not illegal for him to be there, but they did put up fliers and handed them out to all the houses near there.

s_gosney
03-27-2008, 09:09 AM
If you are really the investigative type, you could browse through the photos of sex offenders living in your area. That takes time though... I think the police might "know" the registered sex offenders, depending on the size of where you live.

Typically I am the investigative type, but I'm trying to resist for now because I have a paper due in 6 hours that still isn't done. Clearly I'm working very hard on it right now ;). I think I'll take a look at the registry later today.

Sherri
dd 10/03
ds edd 05/08

s_gosney
03-27-2008, 09:14 AM
That is really creepy. I'd be contacting the police and perhaps the city parks and rec. so they can have the park rangers keeping an eye out. It wasn't the Chandler concert in the park was it?

Yeah, it was the Chandler one unfortunately. Do you know if they have park staff on site then? I looked around and didn't really see anyone "official looking." If you guys ever go, let me know and maybe we could meet up. Between my preggo belly and dd's loud mouth we're not too hard to spot. ;)

Sherri
dd 10/03
ds edd 05/08

boolady
03-27-2008, 09:18 AM
Did you get to see the bracelets? Are they endorsing/promoting a product? It seems weird to me that if this guy's fixation was with little kids, he would also be handing them out to adults in bars. I know you said you talked to some of the kids...if you got to see the bracelets, could you tell if they were an advertisement for something?

Either way, I'd probably call the police and find out if he's supposed to be there and what the story is. Good luck.

sarahsthreads
03-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Hm, although this does sound kind of creepy the way you describe it, I know when our parks & rec department does concerts in the park over the summer they hand out free stuff to the kids (flags at the flag day concert, etc.) It's also not uncommon to see the same people handing stuff out also taking pictures, which they then put in the town newsletter. But then again, we live in a rather small town and I know most of the people involved in the parks & rec department by sight so it's never been an alarming thing to me.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to at least call the parks & rec department to ask if there's someone on their staff that is supposed to be handing out glow bracelets and taking pictures before calling the police. (Although reading your later post about how he hands them out at bars too doesn't really fit with that theory!)

Sarah

Globetrotter
03-27-2008, 01:38 PM
Hm, although this does sound kind of creepy the way you describe it, I know when our parks & rec department does concerts in the park over the summer they hand out free stuff to the kids (flags at the flag day concert, etc.) It's also not uncommon to see the same people handing stuff out also taking pictures, which they then put in the town newsletter.
Sarah

I had that thought, too, that maybe it's some sort of promotion. But then why would he be taking pictures?

The fact that those women knew who he was makes me think that he might be legit. Call parks and rec now and ask, THEN call the police. Let us know what happens, AFTER your paper is turned in :)

lisams
03-27-2008, 01:45 PM
Yeah, it was the Chandler one unfortunately. Do you know if they have park staff on site then? I looked around and didn't really see anyone "official looking." If you guys ever go, let me know and maybe we could meet up. Between my preggo belly and dd's loud mouth we're not too hard to spot. ;)

Sherri
dd 10/03
ds edd 05/08

We were thinking of trying to go to them, the picture thing creeps me out though. Has he been there for more than one concert? I've seen the park ranger trucks around the parks in our neighborhood, I'm not sure if they're around for the concerts though. I've also seen police on bikes during events. I would contact the parks and rec. for sure.

LOL at not being hard to spot! My DD is also loud and talks all. the. time. I'll let you know if we plan on going to one, that would be fun!

s_gosney
04-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Update in OP