PDA

View Full Version : itchy itchy belly - help

scoop22
03-26-2008, 06:59 PM
I am due next week.. nothing seems to stop my belly from itching. the dr. told me to take benadryl. i don't have the energy now let alone with benadryl in my system. any ideas i can try???

lotions aren't working
benadryl cream not working

it is worse at night... i don't think i can do this for much longer if the baby decides he isn't ready..

deannanb
03-26-2008, 07:09 PM
bath with oatmeal (whatever you use for the chickenpox)?

lmgnyc
03-26-2008, 07:23 PM
I am 37 weeks pregnant and am also suffering through the itchies. My OB also recommended Benedryl, but when that didn't work for me he recommended taking a regular-strength antacid with aluminium in it (like Maalox or Mylanta) a few times a day as an itch remedy. In addition, I have been taking cool showers, wearing loose clothing and using Aquaphor to moisturize all over. I am definitely much less itchy now, so I guess it is working. Hope this helps & good luck!

scoop22
03-26-2008, 07:28 PM
bath with oatmeal (whatever you use for the chickenpox)?

i am all for an oatmeal bath.. i will try that. i need to relax anyways.. thank you!! :wavey:

scoop22
03-26-2008, 07:30 PM
I am 37 weeks pregnant and am also suffering through the itchies. My OB also recommended Benedryl, but when that didn't work for me he recommended taking a regular-strength antacid with aluminium in it (like Maalox or Mylanta) a few times a day as an itch remedy. In addition, I have been taking cool showers, wearing loose clothing and using Aquaphor to moisturize all over. I am definitely much less itchy now, so I guess it is working. Hope this helps & good luck!

i never thought of aquaphor. i will be trying that. loose clothes what are they :hysterical: .. i am so ready to be out of my big clothes. thanks for the hints. i hope this helps as well. i hope yours gets better as well!!! i will be thinking of you over the next few weeks.. thank you!

sidmand
03-26-2008, 10:21 PM
I can't say enough about Sarna lotion. I had never heard of it, but when I got PUPPPS during my 1st pregnancy, it was one of the only lotions that helped. If I used it right after a shower, it helped even more, but it was freezing then for some reason!

I found it at the local drugstore and was surprised I had never come across it before.

Also Pepcid AC and something else that I'm not remembering right now. It was the antihistamine and...if I think of it, I'll edit!

SammyeGail
03-27-2008, 12:38 PM
I have PUPPS for 3 weeks, it was horrible, my belly, arms and legs.

Aveeno was my best friend. The oatmeal baths were great. I used an anti itch gel spray but I see its discontinued. Here's their current anti itch products:

http://www.aveeno.com/segmentAction.do?segid=1007&catid=1001

After a bath rubbing, or slathering on good old fashioned Noxzema helped. I remember being cold but a good cold, the temp relief was great.

Good luck with the itchies!!!

Samantha
Noah and Jonas
2 yr old twins

JMarie
03-27-2008, 06:33 PM
I also had PUPPPs with DS, though the worst of it kicked in AFTER he was born. No amounts of lotions, creams, antihistamines, oatmeal baths, or anything else helped for longer than about 30-45 minutes. It was wretched and I am very sorry if this is what you're dealing with. It started first on the abs, then went to my legs, back, and arms. It shouldn't go to your chest or face. Sarna helped a little bit, but not much.

The only thing that got me over it was a really strong dose of steroids. If you really think you may have PUPPPs, I would talk to your OB or PCP immediately about it and see what options are available. It was agony and I have the utmost sympathy for anyone who has to go through it. Hugs, mama.