PDA

View Full Version : Snow Stroller

puppymom
03-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Does anyone have a suggestion on a good well-built stroller to use on snowy streets that maneuvers well on walks and also in the malls and smaller stores? I also need one that is easy to use and not too heavy, plus works for a newborn and up. I walk everywhere and don't want to cope with a broken wheel in the winter or anytime. I really like the Valco Baby Tri-Mode but have read that it is difficult to maneuver in the aisles and checkouts in shops. Does anyone know anything about FirstWheels City Elite? All advice very welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

MontrealMum
03-26-2008, 10:53 PM
I walk outside (in the snow and just about everything else) nearly every day with our BOB Revolution. I have done this since our son was born. It can handle just about anything except big drifts, or lots of really soft terrain. Fixing the front wheel allows it to maneuver even better in the winter. While I do take it into some of our neighborhood stores, it's a tight fit for some of them. It turns on a dime, but sometimes the wheel base is just to wide to fit down the aisle - though our stores are narrower than yours are for the most part.

We also have a Mac Quest but it's virtually useless in the snow. (that's my shopping/travel/car stroller). I won't recommend the BOB hands down because there are a lot of joggers/AT strollers/air tire strollers that are similar and you may want to do some comparison shopping. But I will say that when the weather is bad around here that's the only thing you see outside. Unless it's a travel system that's stuck or people carrying an umbrella stroller! Whatever you decide on, you're going to want something that is like the BOB if you are intent on walking outside in bad weather and on all terrain. I did see a BAbyJogger on the bus the other day, and I'll say that you probably wouldn't want to use it for that - it took up a huge amount of room and there is no way you'd be able to do that during rush hour.

Neatfreak
03-27-2008, 02:40 AM
My girlfriend in Canmore raves about her Chariot for running around in the snow, but she also finds that it's not really designed for going into shops (unless it's a place like Costco!).

You know, Zooper used to have a narrower stroller that also had larger wheels. That might work ... I think that model was called Zydeco.

pastrygirl
03-27-2008, 12:46 PM
My BOB Revolution is great in snowy weather, and also at the mall. It's a great do-everything stroller! I've never had a problem fitting in tight spaces at the mall, because it turns SO easily. Even in tiny Gymboree stores! :D

puppymom
03-27-2008, 01:01 PM
Thanks so much to everyone for all the great suggestions. I'll take a BOB for a test drive. Cheers! :cheerleader1:

bubbaray
03-27-2008, 09:51 PM
You should look at:

MBUS
BJCS
BOB
Valco

In that order. The MBUS has the best newborn recline.

The Firstwheels is nice, but its a different type of stroller than the above. Its more like a Bugaboo. It can handle rougher terrain than a Mac, but not as rough as the above strollers. Though I don't recommend it, others have jogged with the above strollers. Any 3-wheel front swivel air-tire all terrain stroller with a lockable front wheel and a full recline is what you are looking for. After that, its personal preference based on features.

HTH

puppymom
03-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Thanks so much Melissa. You've helped me SOooo much!!! :applause: I will definitely check out the MBUS in Cowtown - hopefully I can find one here or maybe in Edmonton. So great to know it works for a newborn. I don't want to put the baby in a car seat while in the stroller.
Cheers!
Sharon :yay:

gigoteuse
03-31-2008, 09:59 PM
Hi!
I have a Zooper and I really like it. I bought it 3 winters ago, when I realized I couldn't go anywhere with my Perego stroller. The Zooper I have looks a lot like the Boogie. Mine (I'm not sure if it is the Boogie or not) has 3 big wheels and the front wheel can be locked. It can be used with a newborn and my daughter at 3 years old is still using it. The other thing I liked, is that it came with a rain shield, a UV shield and a leg cover, which can get quite expensive when you have to buy them separately.
The basket is a nice size, but not super huge.
The recline is really easy to operate, one hand is enough and it is smooth so that if your child is asleep, she/he won't wake up.

The only two things that I don't really like about it is the foot rest is kind of short so that my daughter's legs are quite bent when she sits in there (she hasn't complained though), maybe the newer models are better. And it folds flat and I had to fight with the wheel to make it fit in my trunk. I have a Civic Hybrid though and that trunk is small! Probably half the size of a regular Civic (that's where the batteries are in the hybrid).

Macklems in Toronto sells the Boogie (It looks like Zooper doesn't make them anymore). They have a web site that gives a lot of info.

I think it's worth having a look at it,
Good luck!
Sophie

MontrealMum
03-31-2008, 10:33 PM
We considered the Zooper, along with most of the ones Melissa recommended above when we first began our stroller hunt. We were interested in both the Boogie and Zydeco (more expensive and more features). We were never able to actually see a Zydeco in person, which was the one that seemed like a better choice, it *might* have included a bassinet, as well as all the other extras (which you have to pay extra for with virtually every other brand). We were also told that it was being discontinued, and that all Zoopers would no longer be sold in Canada since the market was so small :( Just something to know if you try to find it and have a hard time. Also, we did see the Boogie (at the same time as a BOB, BJCS, and P&T) and it was much heavier, and a much more difficult fold; though not a bad stroller, not as great as the others.

Also, about the Chariot - they are made in Calgary. They can be a bit pricey if you want all the kits, but maybe you can find a deal since you live there :)

bubbaray
04-01-2008, 12:15 AM
Zoopers are still sold in Canada, in fact they are distributed by the same company that distributes the Radian carseat. TJs sells them in BC.

I'm not a fan of Zoopers. The Zydeco and Boogie are HEAVY strollers. As in, you do not want to be lifting them into/out of a vehicle, if you can even get them to fit. I can easily lift my MBUS (wish it had a locking fold, though) and BOB. My BJ is a double, so its awkward, but I have lifted the single at the store and its fine too. IIRC, the Boogie is the Zydeco without the air tires. Air tires ROCK and I highly recommend them. I also recall that the canopy height on both strollers was low. You can get a bassinette for the MBUS and the BJCS. The BJCS recline is one hand. Very easy.

Chariots are really REALLY nice. Pricey, though. And, honestly, unless you are going to use at least two of the kits, I don't think they are worth it.

I'm not a fan of the P&T. The concept is nice, but there were too many things I didn't like about the stroller.... The weight limit on the 2nd seat was a deal breaker for me, as was the fact that the 2nd seat rider couldn't see out the back. If you are only getting it as a single, I don't see the point -- any of the strollers I mentioned in my original post are nicer.

puppymom
04-01-2008, 01:21 PM
Thanks, everyone for all the great feedback.

We checked out the Baby Jogger City series and loved the one hand fold just by pulling on a strap in the seat. So easy! The stroller weighs only 19.8 lbs. and folds really compactly so will fit in our itty bitty townhouse along with our puppy stroller. Since my hubby is 6' 4'' we also loved the adjustable handlebar. The stroller seemed to turn on a dime, too. We are waiting to see the new Baby Jogger City Elite; and the Mountain Buggy Urban Single as well as the new Mouuntain Buggy Urban Elite Single in Edmonton (none in Calgary right now to look at but we can order one from e-children) before we make our final decision.

Has anyone checked out the Bumbleride? It may have been the Indie model we saw last weekend at a new store we discovered in Chinook Centre called The Mom Shop (cool store!). The Bumbleride we saw had three 12'' wheels. Classy stroller with lots of included extras but we found it rather complicated to fold.

My daughter's going for the Chariot since she is a serious jogger/biker. Apparently, she's going to suggest to her dad that he could contribute to his new grandbaby's joy in his/her new little life by helping them purchase one!

Thanks again. :applause:

Sharon
One excited and grateful Grammie-to-Be :cheerleader1:

WatchingThemGrow
04-01-2008, 02:04 PM
I have the City Elite Double. It's absolutely lovely in every sense. The parent tray is very handy! I use it every day we leave the house.

Serendipitee
04-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Has anyone checked out the Bumbleride? It may have been the Indie model we saw last weekend at a new store we discovered in Chinook Centre called The Mom Shop (cool store!). The Bumbleride we saw had three 12'' wheels. Classy stroller with lots of included extras but we found it rather complicated to fold.

I don't own the Indie but have checked it out and am really thinking about getting it. Love the extras, the drive (in the store, anyway) the low weight, and the look. Also concerned about the fold. Check the stroller thread for my attempts at feedback there. There are some decent video reviews available on youtube that make it look pretty good as well.

ckelly
04-03-2008, 03:38 PM
I just wanted to add my two cents worth about folding the Bumble Ride Indie. Yes, it is tricky the first time. There's this "oh, so that's how it goes" moment the first time. Saying that, I think my husband is stroller-folding challenged because I still have to show him how to fold it but I've had more practise doing it (I like to get it out and play with it! First baby, first stroller of my own, it's a novelty I guess.) Anywhooo...once you try folding a couple of time it's easy from there. Oh and just a little plug for the company. The lady who returned my model to the store forgot to bring back the child seat adaptor and safety belt. I called the company trying to buy one, explained my situation and they are sending me one for FREE! Now that's what I call customer service! Very nice to talk to someone and not a machine!