PDA

View Full Version : Oprah this week....hoarding

o_mom
03-27-2008, 12:36 PM
So, did anyone see the episodes on hoarding? A friend called me and told me about it while I was at Target snatching up Automoblox and Easter stuff at 50% off to save for gifts... :p

Sharyn admits that shopping is her weakness. "When I shop and I find a good deal, it's total excitement that I got something special for my money," she says. "I love seeing sale signs when I go into a store. It's like a magnet just drawing me to it. And I can find deals like nobody else can find."

She also loves to buy gifts for her friends and family—but instead of giving them away, she hoards them. "She'll buy gifts maybe six months, nine months, a year in advance," Marvin says. "And then when it's time to give the gift, of course she doesn't know where she put it."

http://www2.oprah.com/foodhome/home/repair/slide/20071115/repair_20071115_350_103.jhtml

When I cleaned out the closet last week, I found the Valentine's playdoh and placemats I bought last year on clearance to give the kids this year. :o

happy2bamom
03-27-2008, 12:43 PM
I saw some of the episode, and yes I identified (hanging my head in shame). I have a gift closet. And yeah, I get super excited when I find a good deal (even if it isn't something that I "need"). These boards, of course, add fuel to the fire. After watching the show, I was actually thinking about making a commitment not to buy anything online for a month. I'm still thinking about it.

egoldber
03-27-2008, 12:56 PM
This is why I stopped reading the Bargain Board and why I have stopped buying gifts ahead of time. I just overbought and then forgot about stuff. I am really trying to do "just in time" gift buying now. I set a budget per gift and buy that. That way Sarah gets to help pick out the present (which she really enjoys, especially now that she is older) and I can also always include a gift receipt, which I know I always appreciate getting. One person's bargain treasure is another person's junk.

SnuggleBuggles
03-27-2008, 01:00 PM
This is why I stopped reading the Bargain Board and why I have stopped buying gifts ahead of time. I just overbought and then forgot about stuff. I am really trying to do "just in time" gift buying now. I set a budget per gift and buy that. That way Sarah gets to help pick out the present (which she really enjoys, especially now that she is older) and I can also always include a gift receipt, which I know I always appreciate getting. One person's bargain treasure is another person's junk.

Ditto all of that. :)

Thanks for posting it though b/c I only caught the tail end yesterday and that book looked interesting. I had forgotten about it till now (I actually logged on to the library immediately to request it and promptly forgot what I was looking for!). Now I have the link w/ info. :)

Beth

o_mom
03-27-2008, 01:16 PM

I have also cut back on reading the Bargain Board (it helps that it moved :) ). I usually only buy ahead for my kids or family where I know it will get used. I still have a few random gifts to give in a pinch, but we usually buy for friends in the few weeks before for the reasons you said.

WatchingThemGrow
03-27-2008, 01:25 PM
I have that episode saved on TiVo, and I keep it as a reminder. Ooh, is THAT hoarding?? I'm OK about getting rid of things I really don't use on Craigslist or at consignment sales, but I could be a LOT better.

On the other hand, I've got this HUGE desire to go out and see if I can find the stuff we'll need in the next year (clothes, toys for DC to grow into) at the lowest price possible. On our recent vacation, I actually spent quality time hitting the thrift shops (there were 8) within 10-15 min. of my mom's house. I spent < $15 and came home with NO LIE, 15 items - all Gymboree, Lands End, Baby Gap, Ralph Lauren, Old Navy etc. in nearly perfect condition. I felt like it was my only time to do this when both DC are taken care of, but I was prideful about it. That part was bad.

As for buying stuff online, I'm trying to "think ahead" about what I'll really need to purchase in the coming 1-3 mos. That kinda gives me some guidelines, and I figure that often times, buying it that way will save time, gas, and the huge frustration of taking 2 DC under 2 to stores. Shipping charges (if applicable) cost a lot less than therapy I would assume.

But yes, I totally see this sickness the lady has been dealing with everywhere. There is a local man I see at the recycling center packing stuff into his absolutely overloaded car, year after year. The car changes periodically, but it is always him, and his car/truck/SUV is so full a piece of paper could not be stuffed into the top of the window. I also have relatives who "never have enough closets" and have their wardrobe spread out over 3 large closets. It makes me sick.

elephantmeg
03-27-2008, 02:20 PM
I saw the first part and what I really liked is they designated a spot and a # of bins that she could put gifts she bought ahead in. I want to know how much money she "made" when they sold all that stuff in the sale pile!

ETA
Ok, just read the article, $13,000!

o_mom
03-27-2008, 02:26 PM
I saw the first part and what I really liked is they designated a spot and a # of bins that she could put gifts she bought ahead in. I want to know how much money she "made" when they sold all that stuff in the sale pile!

I actually had for a time, a set of bags labeled with each kid that I regularly buy for and when I bought something I would put it in there. It became too clumsy, though, so bins are a great idea. I also have a computer generated table with all the names and ages and a space to write b-day and x-mas gifts in and then I fill in as I buy or put down ideas when I think of them.

randomkid
03-27-2008, 02:48 PM

ETA
Ok, just read the article, $13,000!

I'd like to know how much money she SPENT on all that stuff over the years - probably enough to start a healthy retirement fund for herself and her husband! And to think, I've often regretted all the books and CDs I bought in my early years of working. I guess I should be thankful that my house does not look like hers did.

gatorsmom
03-27-2008, 03:06 PM
My dad owns a small household goods moving company. He's 68 and has worked there all his life. He says he cannot believe how much more stuff people own now compared to even 20 years ago. The average move used to not fill half a semi trailer and now he often requires more than one semi to move the average family.

g-mama
03-27-2008, 03:22 PM

This is so true. As my kids have gotten older, it is very important to them to help choose gifts for their friends. And it's also nice to include a gift receipt b/c we appreciate getting one. Kids do develop strong opinions as they get older and it's nice to get something that fits *their* interests, not mine - LOL. I, too, have come across things I socked away for the future and it's too late now, or even my own kid just isn't into the things I thought he'd be but the receipt is expired.

TahliasMom
03-27-2008, 04:28 PM
before dd i bought clothes, toys, and crap and often forgot about it!!! after dd, we were a bit strapped so I halted.

being divorced and a single mom does eat up money but the good about having limited income is that I no longer can afford to buy ahead. LOL. plus dd is so picky about her clothes now that I just buy season by season. I mostly hit consignment stores and ebay and stay away from stores otherwise I'll start impulse buying (must stay away from the bargains board!). i dont buy those ahead as dd has plenty of stuff at school to play with. we use to end up with too much stuff and I started selling or gifting it.

my other weakness is online shopping so i try not to go online too much. i'll put stuff in the cart, leave it alone and come back the next day. it satisfies the trigger finger, haha, but gives me enough time to cool off and rethink if I really need that.

also this year I decided not to buy any clothes or shoes for myself. sigh. i broke down last week, ah, and bought a pair of shoes at shoebuy. but with the 10 off coupon plus 10% and ebates it was a good bargain. bad, bad me...i'm trying to pay stuff off and save for a vacation in sept.

For bday gifts, my limit is 10 bucks. i will usually do a gift card to jamba juice, target or movie tickets if it's someone closer to dd. dd has 24 friends in her preschool/K plus we have 8 playgroup buddies, not even including their siblings. so you can see i would go broke if i bought each one a nice gift. and most parents ask for no gifts so to me is just a nice gesture.