PDA

View Full Version : Beauty and the Beast Play - what age?

TahliasMom
03-27-2008, 04:15 PM
Hi
I was offered discount tickets to see Beauty and the Beast Play. I have zero interest, I do Broadway but not Disney stuff. Anywho, DD will be 4 yrs by then. Has anyone taken their dc? too young? will go over her head? hold interest? I have taken her to see the Circus and Princess on Ice. She loved both!!
TIA

sarahsthreads
03-27-2008, 05:28 PM
I just accompanied this show! It was a high school production, so DD (nearly 3.5) came to a lot of the rehearsals and had something of a background by the time she saw the show (as in, she has whole songs and chunks of dialog memorized.) However, she really enjoyed it, as did all of her preschool friends who attended the Saturday matinée.

I did let DD watch the animated movie before rehearsals started so she'd have some idea of what it was about, and (for my benefit) we listened to the show soundtrack *a lot* for a couple of months, but obviously the other kids in the audience weren't quite so immersed and we got a lot of positive feedback from the parents.

Personally, I'd take her. But I really love the show and am kind of biased. ;)

Sarah

Happy 2B mommy
03-28-2008, 08:44 AM
I was in this play a few years ago. From what I remember, the youngest audience members were 4 or 5 years old. They loved it, BUT they all had seen the movie version prior to the actual performance. Moms kept telling us that Beauty and the Beast was their favorite movie.

I'm also not a big Disney fan (I only did the show because I really liked working with the director) but at least Belle isn't completely vapid like a lot of the Disney princesses. Your daughter would probably enjoy it.

Kerri

TahliasMom
03-30-2008, 02:29 AM
thanks. i am thinking of taking her. we watched the movie again last night and she loved it. i'm kind of excited to see the play now!

supercalifragilous
03-30-2008, 01:01 PM
I took DD to this when she was newly 4. She had seen the movie but the play seemed to be a very different thing. At first she was kind of frightened by the beast (she's a scaredy-cat) but then when Gaston stabbed him and he fell to the ground, she started bawling uncontrollably. The next scene, you see the prince - she never got to see the Beast get up - so we left the theater with her all distraught, even though I explained to her numerous times that Beast turned into the prince, so he actually lived.

When people asked her after the fact if she enjoyed the show, she'd shake her head sorrowfully and say No. :rolleyes: It took her a few days to realize that she *did* actually enjoy the show.

luvmypeanut
03-30-2008, 02:16 PM
I took dd to the Broadway production when she was 4 yrs last summer before they closed and she loved it. But, we were in the front and it was pretty loud for her and scenes with the Beast were scary. She was mezmerized during the songs, especially "Be Our Guest", and clapped loudly at the end. We've been to several school productions here of Beauty and Cinderella and she's loved them all. I can't wait to take her to Little Mermaid on Broadway - it's her favorite. I'm certain your dd will love it.