PDA

View Full Version : Make Crunchy Diapers Soft Again?

lefarrell
03-27-2008, 04:46 PM
A friend has recently given me some well loved Kissaluvs fitted diapers. They are super crunchy, and not really soft enough to use as is, but I'm wondering if there is a way to bring new, softer life back to these dipes? The water is pretty hard here, and they have always been air dried, so maybe putting them in the dryer would help, but before I start experimenting I'd like to get some input from the experts. I know nothing about cloth diapers!
THANKS

tylersmama
03-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Hmm...I've never had that problem, but maybe try adding some Calgon in with the detergent? It's a water softener, so it may help...

trales
03-27-2008, 05:22 PM
I found air drying always made mine rather crunchy. I usually put them in the dryer for 5-10 minutes after air drying to fluff them up. That is the 4 months a year it is warm and dry enough to air dry.

Try washing on hot and then putting them in the dryer. That should fluff them right up.

FYI: we also have really hard water. I don't need to put any softners in.

JBaxter
03-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Try adding vinegar to the rinse cycle. It works as a natural fabric softener. I also used the dryer balls in the dryer for my prefolds ( back in the day LOL)

american_mama
03-29-2008, 11:36 PM
I've heard dryer balls, although I haven;t tried it yet. I suspect three things are true: 1) some diapers are helped by dryer balls 2) some are beyond help and 3) some diapers inexplicably stay soft. I bought a used Kisslauv fitted that was always soft, and a used Kissaluv contour, which is the same fabric, that was never very soft. Can't explain it.