PDA

View Full Version : 3:00pm party - what to serve?

Mommy Of A Little Angel
03-28-2008, 12:26 PM
DD's party will be from 3:00pm to 4:30pm. Obviously too late for lunch and too early for dinner. Aside from cake, what would you serve? I am thinking definitely a fruit platter, but beyond that? The kids are little so all parents will be there. Thanks!

citymama
03-28-2008, 12:46 PM
My DD's 2nd birthday party was from 3.30-5.00 pm. We served fruit, home-made birthday cake, pizza and things to nibble on like animal crackers, cheese and veggie chips. Although 4 large pizzas were completely consumed, you don't need to serve all that much. You could just do hummus and pita or veggie sticks and a dip, or mini bagels and cream cheese. People do end up nibbling on stuff over the course of the party, so it's nice to have some finger food, but as you said, it's not like you have to serve them a meal.

egoldber
03-28-2008, 12:48 PM
You're having a Little Gym party right? Honestly, I doubt you'll have time for much more than cake and ice cream. They are in the gym for an hour and then by the time you get all the kids out of the gym, pottied, seated and sing Happy Birthday, most parties I've been to have felt pretty rushed in that last half hour.

tny915
03-28-2008, 01:14 PM
We went to a party around that time at a Pump It Up. There was snack food, which was perfect after all the active play. Cheese, crackers, fruit, juice and water. Maybe a veggie platter. That and cake was really all the kids and adults even needed. I was happy with the spread.

geochick
03-28-2008, 01:31 PM
There's no "best" time for pizza. Have pizza.

newmomto1
03-28-2008, 01:49 PM
DD's party will be from 3:00pm to 4:30pm. Obviously too late for lunch and too early for dinner. Aside from cake, what would you serve? I am thinking definitely a fruit platter, but beyond that? The kids are little so all parents will be there. Thanks!
When we've had bday parties at off times we usualy keep it pretty simple.
In addition to cake, we usually have bottled water & individual bags of pretzels for the adults. Then, we usually do something like goldfish for the kids.
I've learned from experience that if you put out too much...it will get wasted.
We had one party that was at an off time in the morning.
We did bagels, fruit, & other various nibbley things.
We spent a lot of $$ & almost no food was eaten!
Depending on what kind of party it is, the parents are so busy chasing after their kids, they don't really have time to eat.
HTH :)

Puddy73
03-28-2008, 03:55 PM
I may be in the minority here, but I don't really expect to be fed at kid's parties. A piece of cake and something to drink is great, but if there isn't enough for all the parents, I wouldn't really mind. I think a fruit or veggie platter plus some cheese and crackers and drinks would be plenty at that time of day.

Jen841
03-28-2008, 04:06 PM
We attended a party, there were some bowls of chips out for adults as well as a platter of soft pretzels (from next to our My Gym.)

The kids were fully engaged, I would not worry about them. Parents were pretty engaged too, so I would not worry.

Melanie
03-28-2008, 04:29 PM
That seems like a really short party so I'm going to assume it's at a "place." I'd just put out a veggie platter, fruit platter, pretzels, etc. Finger food, mostly for the parents to snack on.

SnuggleBuggles
03-28-2008, 05:15 PM
That seems like a really short party so I'm going to assume it's at a "place." I'd just put out a veggie platter, fruit platter, pretzels, etc. Finger food, mostly for the parents to snack on.

Ditto. Sounds like a perfect plan for a short, midday party. The kids will be so busy playing that they may just nibble those snacks and then eat cake. As a parent I would appreciate something to munch while the kids played though.

Beth

randomkid
03-28-2008, 07:56 PM
We've had all three of DD's parties around that time of day. I agree that parents should have snacks and the kids may eat a little as well. We've had chips and dip, tortilla chips and salsa or guacamole, pita or crackers with hummus, fruit bowls, veggie platter with dip (if you go to Costco, they have a great one for about $15). I also put out pretzels or goldfish for the kids. Cheese and crackers is also a good idea. We didn't do all of this at one party - these are the things we've done over the years. I also have sodas (for the adults) and bottled water. I don't give DD juice, so I don't serve it etiher. Don't stress too much and keep it simple. However, you may be surprised how much of that snack stuff the adults will eat. I know I was! Oh yeah, cake and ice cream - we do the pull apart cake that is made with cupcakes - much less messy and always a hit with both the kids and adults.