PDA

View Full Version : Dontcha just love family?

almostsane
03-28-2008, 05:00 PM
To my dear SIL,
I called you a month ago to tell you that we would not be bringing our children to the baby shower next weekend. I gave everyone PLENTY of notice so that they could schedule a baby sitter. The shower is on a Sunday, therefor, I know your husband will not be at work. Please do not take an attitude with me again when you call to tell me that you might have to bring my niece and I tell you that No, we are not bringing our children. You can take it up with your husband, but the fact that he just does not want to keep HIS OWN CHILD, is not reason enough. You will be helping give the shower, no one will be available to take care of your rambunctious 2 year old, and we are giving it at our grandmother's house, so it is not big enough to accomodate little children during a formal function. Oh, and no, my DH, who will be watching DS, will not be available to "just let all the kids play together outside during the shower." You need to grow up.

TIA for letting me vent. BTW, this is the same SIL I wanted to divorce not too long ago.:32:

ha98ed14
03-28-2008, 06:30 PM
That sucks! I have a good friend who's DH refuses to watch his own kids, so the mom never gets a night out. They are 4 and 5, so it ain't like he's even gotta do diapers.

Is the shower in your honor (I see from your sigg that you are expecting) or are you and SIL jointly giving the shower for someone else? If the shower is for you, I can understand your request for no kids, but if you and SIL are co-giving the shower for someone else, maybe she took it as you being the boss or taking over without asking her opinion. But I agree- baby showers are not places for toddlers. I have been to ones with nursing infants and that seems to work, but 2 year olds, not so much. Hope you have fun and SIL finds a sitter!

JillSP
03-28-2008, 07:24 PM
Reminds me of a wedding shower I went to last year. Another mom, who brought her 3 kids, asked where mine were.

Me: "They weren't on the invitation and so they are home with dad."

Her: "Oh, I thought that only applied to wedding invitations."

Me: Complete silence.

almostsane
03-30-2008, 11:03 AM
It is a joint effort amongst quite a few of us to give the shower for a cousin. We are giving it at our grandmother's home (her choice BTW) so there just is not room. If everyone who is giving the shower brought their children, there would be 3-2 yr olds, 1-5 month old, 1-4 yr old, and a 7 yr old. The 7 yr old is not so bad, but there just is not room for all of those children and the guests.