PDA

View Full Version : Is this tacky? pot luck contribution

SnuggleBuggles
03-28-2008, 05:04 PM
My friends' dc's 1st b-day party is tomorrow and we are all supposed to bring a side dish. I went to Trader Joe's today and bought ingredients for one dish but when I was there they had something really yummy on sample so I bought that with the intention of taking it to the potluck. Is it tacky to not make something from scratch?

Thanks!

Beth

Melanie
03-28-2008, 05:07 PM
I think that's a regional question, but where I am the answer is no. :)

I do generally put it in another container or dish, though I'm honest if someone asks if I made it or where I bought it.

gatorsmom
03-28-2008, 05:11 PM
I don't think so at all. In a pinch, I have brought some exotic cheeses and crackers to a party and asked the hostess if I could borrow a platter. It was nearly gone by the end of the night.

Frankly, I think it's a little tacky for someone to have a potluck birthday party for their child, but I may be missing some of the details.

SnuggleBuggles
03-28-2008, 05:11 PM
That just reminded me of a story the b-day dc's mom told me about a school poutluck...she had bought her contribution and replated it for the potluck. I think she may have even taken credit for it. :) She should have no problem with me bringing the store bought items. Thanks for sparking my brain!

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
03-28-2008, 05:12 PM
Frankly, I think it's a little tacky for someone to have a potluck birthday party for their child, but I may be missing some of the details.

Thank you for saying that b/c that was my thought too when I got the invite!

Beth

bubbaray
03-28-2008, 05:18 PM
Yeah, I think asking you to bring food to a b-day party is tacky too.

I have been asked to NOT make something homemade for potlucks, b/c my cooking sucks so much.... :(

SnuggleBuggles
03-28-2008, 05:24 PM
I have been asked to NOT make something homemade for potlucks, b/c my cooking sucks so much.... :(

No way! That is so mean!

Beth

ThreeofUs
03-28-2008, 06:04 PM
Not a problem, as far as I know. I also think it's pretty tacky to do a potluck for a child's party, but that's just me.

elektra
03-28-2008, 06:07 PM
Not tacky at all, IMO.

kijip
03-28-2008, 06:58 PM
I'm with Lisa on this one- it's the potluck b-day that is a little tacky. I expect to provide all the food for parties I host. Potlucks seem to be more of a neighborhood/school/church event where no one is strictly speaking the host.

Bring whatever you want/are able to.

JillSP
03-28-2008, 07:15 PM
I think whether it is tacky depends on the customs of the family/group of friends.

My extended family does potluck for everything except weddings and showers (and even for showers the aunts typically call to ask what they can bring). In my husband's family it is the complete opposite. Whoever hosts does everything.

This would be fine except his immediate family (siblings and nieces and nephews) is getting quite large (27 people) and frankly, it is getting to be overwhelming to do food for that many.

sarahsthreads
03-28-2008, 09:58 PM
I think whether it is tacky depends on the customs of the family/group of friends.

My extended family does potluck for everything except weddings and showers (and even for showers the aunts typically call to ask what they can bring).

Agreed. I wouldn't do it for a birthday party or a shower, but almost every other party I've ever hosted or been to among my circle of friends has been of the "dish-to-pass" variety. If I don't explicitly state on the evite/invite to bring a dish to pass (I always add "if you want to") I get emails and calls from everyone asking what they can bring. And in my family? If I insist that I'm going to do it all myself (as I tried to for DD's first birthday party) someone invariably gets offended because they wanted to help out and I wouldn't let them. Sigh.

But as to the OP's question, bringing something store bought is totally not tacky.

Sarah :)

KBecks
03-28-2008, 10:12 PM
It's not tacky. All that matters is whether it tastes good. :)

kransden
03-28-2008, 11:37 PM
I had a bring a side dish / potluck for dd's 3rd birthday. Honestly, I just couldnt't get it together for the 30+ people that showed up. (My life was really bad that year! :( ) I am very blessed that I had friends to help me out! All these people I had known for 10-20 years. I don't think anyone thought any less of me. That said, I could not imagine doing that with dd's school friends. We just went to McDonalds.

new_mommy25
03-28-2008, 11:43 PM
I don't think it is tacky at all to bring something store bought to a potluck. I suck at cooking so I do it all the time.

I also don't see the problem with a potluck birthday party. A few of my close friends have done that. Like I said, we're close and there to help each other out so I don't ever mind bringing stuff. When I get invited to a party of a good friend I usually ask them if there is something they want me to bring anyway, potluck or not.

Corie
03-29-2008, 07:42 AM
I don't think it's tacky at all to bring a store-bought dish. I would
just put it in my own dish. :)

I do think it's tacky of your friend to have a potluck birthday party
for her child. I think it's her responsibility to provide the food/drink.

LaurelC
03-29-2008, 10:03 AM
I don't think it is tacky to bring a non-homemade dish, but count me among those who think it is tacky to have a potluck for a child's birthday party.

SnuggleBuggles
03-29-2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks, everyone! The store bought food is now sitting in a nice ceramic dish. :)

Beth

mom2binsd
03-29-2008, 03:27 PM
I have never heard of a potlock birthday party, especially for a 1st BDAY- especially as this is not a family gathering....so put me down for the tacky vote- basically I feel that if you can't afford to feed your guests then you have a small party with cake and be done with it-and the bday child who's turning one will not notice the difference....is it me or have birthday parties become out of hand???? I grew up in Canada and I don't ever remember parties being as big of a deal....pin the tail on the donkey/musical chairs/pizza/hotdogs/cake and lootbags we all had fun- in fact my DD who will be 5 this year has requested just those games/maybe a craft activity and we're having a small party with about 5 of her friends, we can't afford a big party at one of the bowling/gym/museums and to be honest at 5 she's been to so many of those that it doesn't even seem special anymore-just my observations and sorry to hijack the post.

bubbaray
03-29-2008, 04:59 PM
I have never heard of a potlock birthday party, especially for a 1st BDAY- especially as this is not a family gathering....so put me down for the tacky vote- basically I feel that if you can't afford to feed your guests then you have a small party with cake and be done with it-and the bday child who's turning one will not notice the difference....is it me or have birthday parties become out of hand???? I grew up in Canada and I don't ever remember parties being as big of a deal....pin the tail on the donkey/musical chairs/pizza/hotdogs/cake and lootbags we all had fun- in fact my DD who will be 5 this year has requested just those games/maybe a craft activity and we're having a small party with about 5 of her friends, we can't afford a big party at one of the bowling/gym/museums and to be honest at 5 she's been to so many of those that it doesn't even seem special anymore-just my observations and sorry to hijack the post.

I don't think that it has much to do with whether you are in the US or Canada. I'm in Canada now and parties are huge, over the top, productions here. Its a PITA, frankly. DD#1 is turning four and I think WE are the only people who have done "at home" parties in all the time we've been taking her to parties. Last year, we hired a clown/entertainer, but had her party at home. Most parties here are at a facility (Little Gym, Go Bananas, Crash Crawlies, community center, YMCA, ScienceWorld, Aquarium, Zoo, etc) and most have some sort of entertainment too. Don't get me started on lootbags. I've priced out the ones from the last few parties we've been to and the moms have to be spending at least $15 PER BAG. Its insane.

mom2binsd
03-29-2008, 05:48 PM
It's is insane, birthday parties have become as crazy as weddings....I know my brother who lives in a small town in Ontario and has three kids has commented (smirked) when I mention some of the parties DD has been to...I guess in their neck of the woods folks still do the simple parties at home.