PDA

View Full Version : Zantac is peppermint flavoured

trales
03-28-2008, 07:57 PM
and it is disgusting. How do I know this, DD spits it in my face almost every time I give it to her. WTH were the people at the drug company thinking. What 1 year old likes peppermint, how about cherry or grape.

egoldber
03-28-2008, 08:25 PM
Yeah, its pretty vile. Amy takes it easily, but only because she's been taking it since she was 8 weeks old!

Corie
03-28-2008, 08:41 PM
I agree! The smell of it makes me gag!

I asked CVS about adding a flavor to it. They can only
do grape. I don't know if that made it worse or not.
My son takes it without complaint.

Grape-flavored peppermint. Yuck!

Mommy Of A Little Angel
03-28-2008, 09:19 PM
DD has reflux too so I know how much that sucks. When she was first diagnosed at 6 weeks the ped gave us Axid. He's reasoning was that the other stuff is peppermint flavored and babies aren't into that. It is a more expensive prescription but well worth it! Axid is fruitier and they love to take it. Honestly, he was right! DD loved getting it twice a day - almost too much! ;)

elephantmeg
03-28-2008, 09:38 PM
lol, someone I know once called it pepperment schnaps-peppermint plus alcohol....

MamaMolly
03-28-2008, 09:50 PM
We were Axid users as well. DD just couldn't tolerate the peppermint. It was like a freaking Altoid! Poor baby, her mouth got all chapped and red, she screamed and spit it out.
I'd ask to change. If she is spitting it out it really isn't helping her KWIM?

egoldber
03-28-2008, 09:57 PM
Also, I'm thinking that if her reflux is bad enough to cause FTT, then why aren't they trying something like Prevacid? Or Nexium?

trales
03-29-2008, 10:34 AM
I am going to ask all those questions. We had two horrible nights are going to the doc this morning.

TaChapm
03-30-2008, 05:13 PM
I would absolutely try Prevacid or Prilasec. My kids did really well on Prilasec but we had to go to a compounding pharmacy to get it which was a pain! If they don't switch her my suggestion is to buy one of those medicine pacifiers or medicine type bottles. It helps to keep it off of thier tounge so they don't taste it as much.

sdrew99
03-31-2008, 10:23 AM
We went through the same problem when my son was a baby. I ended up taking his prescription for Zantac to a place called The Apothecary Shoppe (or any pharmacy that will compound things for you) and they were able to make Zantac without the alcohol and with a nice bubble gum flavor. Mommy and baby were much happier!

kcampbell
03-31-2008, 10:57 AM
We did it too! My ped recommended getting flavoring added to it, so in we went and they made it grape/peppermint! So now it was artifically colored and I could just see all the medicine that did not go down since everything was covered in purple! You cannot mask the peppermint! So sorry for you!

trales
03-31-2008, 06:11 PM
I called the pharmacy and they said they can make it a grape/marshmellow flavor, but it will still be gross and have hints of peppermint.

She seems to be taking it better, and has gained 2oz since we started it. Yippee. :jammin: