PDA

View Full Version : I'm not the chair!

niccig
03-30-2008, 02:56 AM
I'm at a conference and participating in a symposium. I'm the research assistant for the chair - and I volunteer, so I'm not getting paid for any of this - it's my interest and for future career. The chair can't make the conference, which I understand, her babysitter got the dreaded flu and with only a few hours notice before her flight, she couldn't get someone to care for her daughter for the weekend. I understand that she can't make it, it easily could have been me if MIL was sick. I'm now running the symposium and the chair will email me introductory comments to read. I won't get those comments until the morning, just before the symposium begins. I'll just read them off the computer, and it'll be fine, but it would be nice to have had a little time to get familiar with what I will be reading. Oh, and I don't have my PhD in this area, so I know my paper and topic area but nothing else. Thankfully, from the sessions I've attended, it's just presenting the material and no one has asked any difficult questions, and if they do, I'll pass to one of the other participants because I'm not the chair!

Besides me winging it tomorrow, I've enjoyed the last few days of being by myself. But I can't wait to get home to DS - everytime I call he says he misses me and wants me to come home RIGHT NOW.

elephantmeg
03-30-2008, 09:07 AM
hugs, hope it goes well and you are home soon! Enjoy the adult time!

bubbaray
03-30-2008, 10:48 AM
You'll be fine!

BTW, sorry about the weather here -- were you in Vancouver for our "spring" snowfall Friday?!?!? WTF???? Seriously, that is NOT normal....

Stay warm!