PDA

View Full Version : how to disinfect used wooden toys?

JennaH01
03-31-2008, 11:29 AM
I purchased some nice wooden toys at a consignment sale, and I'd like to make sure they are clean and disinfected before giving them to my daughter. Any tips? I'm thinking to use a mix of water and vinegar, as I know that would be safe for my daughter, but not sure if it would be safe on the toys. Some of them are natural wood, some are painted.

Thanks!

Jenna

elliput
03-31-2008, 02:22 PM
Wood is naturally antimicrobial, but a quick wipe down with the water & vinegar mix you are planning is a good idea just to remove any surface dirt/grime. It will work fine on both the natural and painted finishes. Be careful not that you don't soak the wood.

goldentwig
03-31-2008, 02:40 PM
I was just about to ask a very similiar question... I bought a "Miracles & Milestones - Musical Panda" at a consignment sale and am not sure how to disinfect the plush part of the panda. Does anyone have any suggestions?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41060319MWL._AA280_.jpg

Thanks,
Holly

tnrnchick74
03-31-2008, 03:34 PM
When I had parrots, I used to disinfect their wood toys by putting a very weak bleach solution into a bucket w/ warm water (1 gallon of water and added 2 TBS of bleach)...then I would dip the toys into the solution, let them sit for maybe a minute. I would rinse with clean water and then dry in the sun.

Something similar might work for your toys??