PDA

View Full Version : Updated: 5.30am Bootcamp - what was I thinking?!

niccig
03-31-2008, 12:47 PM
I need to get back in shape - none of my summer clothes from last year fit, and a friend is trying to lose the baby weight from DC#2. She asked if I would do a bootcamp with her for 4 weeks. She's never been into exercise and REALLY REALLY wants someone to do it with. So I agreed. Then I asked what time. 5.30am!!! Then I ask how many days. 5!!!

Today was day 1, so here I am at 9.45am about to go have a nap because I am tired. Thank goodness DS has preschool so I can sleep. I'm also getting back on WW plan, to maximize results. If I'm getting up at 5am every day for the next month, I am going to lose as much weight as I safely can.

I know in the long run it will be worth it - but 5.30am. I am certifiably crazy!

ThreeofUs
03-31-2008, 12:55 PM
Oh, cool! My SIL does this - started last Spring - and she says she's in the best shape of her life.

5:30, though ... *shudder*

niccig
03-31-2008, 01:16 PM
Does she still do it every month!! Wow.

I was planning on this month, and then both my friend and I are away in May, and then maybe we'll do it in 0June again. I'm also getting back to the gym, so I can keep it up when I'm not in bootcamp. That will be the difficult part, motivating myself.

And for the 5am start, I'm planning on going to bed after DS does at 7.30pm!

s7714
03-31-2008, 05:41 PM
I thought about doing one of those too, but I couldn't talk myself into getting up that early in the morning! Kudos to you for doing it!!! :bowdown: Theoretically it's supposed to get easier to do it as time goes by... But I never really got "used" to having to get up at 5:30 to be at work on time when I had a long commute, so I don't know if I believe that! ;)

SnuggleBuggles
04-01-2008, 08:32 PM
5:30 is the middle of the night, in my book. My personal motto is if the sun isn't up, I'm not up. :) But, I bet you'll not only get in the swing of this early start but you'll be in fantastic shape!! KUP!

Beth

niccig
05-12-2008, 05:31 PM
I never updated about my bootcamp because we left on vacation a few days before it finished, and I just didn't have time to post.

I did 3 complete weeks. I lost 3 lbs, which wasn't too bad as my thyroid medication needed to be increased. The big difference was in inches. I lost 3/4 inch off my arms, 3 inches off my waist, 1 inch off my hips. The hips are a big one for me, I NEVER lose the weight there. I felt much fitter and stronger. Enough of a change that I signed up for this month as well, but I'm just doing 3 days/week and the other 2 are workouts at the gym to transition to doing it all myself again. My thyroid medicine is now correct and hopefully that and watching diet and exercising 5 days/week will see more improvements.

Today was the first day of the new group and I'm the only person that carried over from last month. I was surprised to see that I was the first person to finish the runs and could do more of the weights etc. Despite 3 weeks break, I felt really good, and the 5.30am start wasn't too difficult either.

kijip
05-12-2008, 06:13 PM
I never updated about my bootcamp because we left on vacation a few days before it finished, and I just didn't have time to post.

I did 3 complete weeks. I lost 3 lbs, which wasn't too bad as my thyroid medication needed to be increased. The big difference was in inches. I lost 3/4 inch off my arms, 3 inches off my waist, 1 inch off my hips. The hips are a big one for me, I NEVER lose the weight there. I felt much fitter and stronger. Enough of a change that I signed up for this month as well, but I'm just doing 3 days/week and the other 2 are workouts at the gym to transition to doing it all myself again. My thyroid medicine is now correct and hopefully that and watching diet and exercising 5 days/week will see more improvements.

Today was the first day of the new group and I'm the only person that carried over from last month. I was surprised to see that I was the first person to finish the runs and could do more of the weights etc. Despite 3 weeks break, I felt really good, and the 5.30am start wasn't too difficult either.

Great. I find an early start has big payoffs. I sleep better and once adjusted to it, it really gives the day a kick-start. I think better in the mornings already, but with a 6AM workout, I am much more efficient. Glad it works for you. Right now I do 3 day a week personal trainer with weights but cardio 5 days a week.

SnuggleBuggles
02-17-2009, 03:57 PM
I just saw an ad for a boot camp- with a 5:30 start time. I thought of this thread and dug it up. I wanted to hear more about it. It starts next week and I am on the fence because of the start time. Also, I am sure 5 days a week would be better so you would be in the habit of waking up but 3 sounds more my speed. :)

Looking for any info! Also, could you tell me a bit about the workouts?

Thanks,
Beth

niccig
02-18-2009, 05:42 AM
I just saw an ad for a boot camp- with a 5:30 start time. I thought of this thread and dug it up. I wanted to hear more about it. It starts next week and I am on the fence because of the start time. Also, I am sure 5 days a week would be better so you would be in the habit of waking up but 3 sounds more my speed. :)

Thanks,
Beth

I did it last year about this time. I did 2 sessions back to back. 1 session was 1 month. The first month I did 5 days a week, the 2nd month was 3 days a week with the idea I would go to the Y on the other 2 days, which I didn't do.

It was difficult for the first week to get up so early. But you also go to bed early as exhausted. I did adjust and felt pretty good for getting stuff done in the mornings, as I'm not a morning person.

The workouts were old school PE - jumping jacks, skipping, short sprints, hand weights, exercise bands. It's circuit training where you mix up cardio and strength training. It's different every day, so you don't get bored. I had good groups and we would chat etc to get through the workout. I felt the fittest I've ever been. I kept it up on my own for a little bit at the Y. Then life intervened. I need to get back into it, and I bought a circuit DVD by the lady on the Biggest Loser - it's really difficult, and I was getting better then again life intervened. So I really need to start back with the DVD and the Y. But from having done the bootcamp, I know how to do a lot of exercises with the correct form so I don't get hurt, and I know what I can physically do - more than I thought I could. I can now jump rope for a couple of minutes without stopping, and I can do push ups on my toes!

I didn't lose a tonne of weight, maybe 8 lbs in the 2 months, but I did loose inches.

jenmcadams
02-26-2009, 03:41 PM

Thanks,
Beth

I have been doing these for 6 months or so...ours are 5 days/week for 5 weeks with a one week break. I just started my 6th camp and then my foot got injured and I'm going absolutely bonkers...I loved my camp. The instructors amazing...my particular camp is indoor/outdoor (as long as temp is above 15-20F) from 5:30-6:45 and you never know who you'll get or what you'll be doing. You could be doing hard core weights, a straight running day, hill work, stair work, old school calisthenics, yoga, anything. Tons of fun. I've got to run and pick up DD, but I'd be happy to answer any specific questions. I was never a group exercise person, but I love this class.

elektra
02-26-2009, 05:05 PM
This is the only kind of exercise that works for me- the kind when someone else is pushing you. It's because I am so not self-motivated when it comes to exercise, and maybe from always having coaches push me growing up. So good for you!
Is it Barry's Bootcamp by chance? My brother did that while living in LA/Brentwood (lots of star sightings there ;)).