PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find a "medical" garment

tiapam
04-01-2008, 12:10 PM
My mom has three drain tubes and two bags, probably in similar position as for a double mastectomy, but that is not what she had. I am looking for something like this:

http://www.medcatalog.com/Q_P/piloian_medical.htm

I emailed them but I have a feeling this isn't really for sale anywhere, otherwise it would have come up for sale lots of places. With warm weather coming a vest would be best, but I would consider a jacket, too.

Any ideas? Thanks,

lilycat88
04-01-2008, 12:46 PM
My mom has has a double mastectomy, 2 reconstructions, a reconstruction revision and a tummy tuck. Lots of drains in lots of places! She had them as long as 6 weeks at a time. The thing she found worked the best was a fanny pack. One of the larger ones meant for hiking. She just put it around her waist and stuffed all of the drains in and it worked great. She had as many as 6 drains at once and the fanny pack could handle all with no problem.

The other thing she did was to wear a knit camisol or tight'ish tank under her clothing and just put the drains under it. The tank held them in place. She did that when she was down to only having 2-3 at the most. Any more wouldn't work that way I wouldn't think. She did fine that wearing a tank or something close fitting did help with comfort even when she had a lot of tubes and was using the fanny pack because the camisol would hold the tubes close to her body and reduce the movement. In my mom's case, it was the tube moving at the point in entered the body that caused most discomfort.
J

MontrealMum
04-01-2008, 01:04 PM
I was going to suggest a geologist's field vest like these: https://minerox.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=9 but was surprised to see the cost. They typically have several pockets on the front, and one large one across the back. I'd ask DH where a reputable place to buy them is, but he's not home, so I don't know if those prices are comprable or not.

elephantmeg
04-01-2008, 02:55 PM
our local hospital has an image recovery center associated with its oncology center. Is there a local hospital near you that might have such a place? They sell wigs, hats, special swimsuits/bras for mastectomy patients and I would think they would sell something like that too...

ETA, in the hospital we use a piece of tape doubled on the tubing to create a tag and then pin that to clothing-that eliminates the pulling. I second the idea of using a fanny pack, I know other people who do that.

TaChapm
04-01-2008, 04:10 PM
ETA, in the hospital we use a piece of tape doubled on the tubing to create a tag and then pin that to clothing-that eliminates the pulling. I second the idea of using a fanny pack, I know other people who do that.

Yes...when my mom had her double mastectomy and reconstructions last year I asked for suggestions here and got the tape and fanny pack idea. It worked great! We would gather the tape tags with a pin to keep them from getting tangled and then put them in a large fanny pack.