PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for new washer/dryer

julymommy
04-01-2008, 05:20 PM
We have a fairly old washer and dryer that we acquired when we purchased our house. Now with a baby on the way - and plans to use cloth diapers - we realize that we need to break down and purchase new ones. And to be honest - I am looking forward to having more energy and water-use efficient ones - and a washer that cleans better (the one we have now is not great). Anyway - I just wanted to know if anyone had suggestions on ones that you love or hate.

Thanks!

geochick
04-01-2008, 05:38 PM
We have Maytag. I love the dryer, but hate the washer (it has had more problems than I care to mention)...3yo.

Washer reviews:
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/house_and_home/washing-machine-reviews/index.html

Dryer reviews:
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/house_and_home/clothes-dryer-reviews/index.html

ahrimie
04-01-2008, 06:11 PM
oh i'm so jealous! i want a new washer/dryer set too... but ours works fine though it's not water or energy efficient.

i'd definitely get the front loading machines... they are water/energy efficent. you use a lot less detergent too... they sell different ones for the front loading machines.

pomegranate
04-01-2008, 06:25 PM
I have a Kenmore front-loading washer and matching dryer that can be stacked on top of the washer. We don't stack them, just have them side-by-side. I've had mine for 6 years and we love the front-loading feature. It's washes a lot better and is also gentler on clothes (think no snagging around that middle thing on standard washers). They are also more energy and water efficient; we got rebates through our local Northern California utility company too. Looks like the one I have is still for sale at Sears (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02640412000P?sbf=Brand&sbv=Kenmore&vName=Appliances&cName=Washers & Dryers&sName=Front-Load Washers). There are nicer-looking ones available these days, but I'd definitely go for a front-loader. Happy shopping!

MMMommy
04-01-2008, 06:39 PM
We love our Fisher-Paykel washer and dryer. It has worked just fine for us.

Davids-Coco
04-01-2008, 07:00 PM
we have maytag... I don't really care about our washer, but couldn't live without our dryer. Its the double decker one with the lay flat or hang dry top and regular round dryer bottom. It has saved my clothes. They don't shrink, they look great, and I don't have to search the house for "lay flat dry" locations. It was particularly great with my fancy work clothes, but I love it even still.

WatchingThemGrow
04-01-2008, 07:04 PM
We have the Duet set on pedestals. Love them. Someone started a thread not too long ago about front-loaders. You should look for it - lots of info....

beansprout13
04-01-2008, 07:40 PM
I second the Duet... love them. My MIL was over last weekend and so impressed with how much laundry came out of the dryer - the capacity is huge!

pastrygirl
04-01-2008, 09:43 PM
I just bought a new washer tonight!!! My old one broke yesterday. I got an LG model (the one with rear controls) because Consumer Reports rated it pretty high. I didn't want another Maytag, and I haven't heard many good things about Whirlpool. The salesperson was pushing Bosch but they are ugly and use a belt for the motor.

Yet, I still find myself researching! They're backordered for a few days, so I have time to change my mind!

tylersmama
04-01-2008, 10:50 PM
I have the Kenmore HE3, now 5 years old. I've been very happy with both my washer and dryer, no problems with either. They do a great job of getting our clothes and our cloth diapers clean.

julymommy
04-02-2008, 07:52 AM
Thanks - I must have missed the thread on front loaders - I'll take a look.

Thanks!

elliput
04-02-2008, 10:23 AM
We just recently purchased (in early March) a Samsung frontload washer and dryer. So far, I have been very pleased with the laundry results and the easy of use. For front loaders, I would definitely recommend spending the extra on the pedestals. I debated getting them and am so glad I did.

beachmoms
04-03-2008, 01:05 AM
I also have a Kenmore front load washer and the matching dryer. The washer is great because it practically spins the clothes dry, and the dryer is awesome as well. Couldnt and wouldnt live without them. Enjoy your purchases.