PDA

View Full Version : Bed Ideas

StantonHyde
04-01-2008, 11:04 PM
DD is ready to move up to a big girl bed. Her room has light green walls with white bead board. The room is about 9x12 in the part where the dresser, bed, nighstand and reading chair will go. One wall is broken up by the window so the dresser is there (on one wall of the rectangle).

So where should I put the bed? At the far end of the rectangle against the wall, so that you the side of the bed when you come in the door? Or against the long side of the rectangle, so that you see the footboard, but it won't be in the middle of the room? It would look best to put the bed at a 90 degree angle to the wall and have 2 night stands but that would take up almost the whole room and then leave the reading chair sticking out in the way.

I also think I should not get something like the PBK Catalina bed--eg. beds that look they have bead board--too much for the room don't you think? What about a "panel" bed with a solid head and footboard? Too much wood? I am thinking about a poster bed with a curved head and footboard which could look ok. Or should I go with the Land of Knod Jenny Lind bed? Or a white "iron bed"--could have scrolls for the head and footboard--but it doesn't look as substantial. But maybe that is ok in this small room with bead board.

If you have read this far--thank you!!! I figured this would be the best place because the nursery forum is for cribs and the baby bedding tends to be more about..babies. I appreciate any and all ideas.

Moneypenny
04-02-2008, 12:21 PM
We just got DD her big girl bed a few weeks ago. I thought I knew where I wanted to place it in her room (so you'd see the footboard when you wlaked in), but once it was set up I changed my mind and flipped it so you see the side and it actually looks better and freed up more play space than I thought it would. So, you may have to wait until you actually have it before you know where it should go.

We also went round and round on the style of bed and decided to get a dark iron bed. DD has two dressers, nightstand, bookcase and rocking chair that are all natural wood and we decided another piece of wood furniture would just be too, well, woody! We also chose the darker finish because I figured she would be more apt to still like it if she goes through a dark, moody pre-teen or teen phase like I did, lol! I was just thinking I might wind some pink and white ribbons around it for now. In your room, I think a white metal bed would like nice.

Good luck! I never thought bed shopping would get to be so stressful!