PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for toddler videos before bed?

veronica
04-02-2008, 01:51 PM
DD has always watch a Baby Einstein before bed/bath and now that she is over 2, we have pretty much gone through the lot and she has them memorized. What is a good next step? She loves Dora and Diego but I think these might be too "high energy" for a pre-bed ritual. Plus, I like to save these episodes for any meltdowns that might occur during the day. She isn't allowed to watch any other TV so I don't know any other popular characters and stuff. any suggestions?

mytwosons
04-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Kipper the Dog is very low key and sweet. You can probably find some at your library.

deannanb
04-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Start transitioning her over to reading books in bed instead of watching tv -
I've found as Ds gets older, he starts to have meltdowns when I go to shut off the tv - and you are right - Dora and Diego are higher energy videos -
boobah is similar to teletubbies - very few words - lots of music and color and movement on the screen. we've found them at our library

GeekLady
04-02-2008, 05:37 PM
I second the transition to books. Staring at an illuminated screen stimulates the brain and makes it more difficult to go to sleep.

brittone2
04-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Start transitioning her over to reading books in bed instead of watching tv -

Thirding this. I think TV tends to rev up kids brains quite a bit even if the content seems calming. I think transitioning sooner rather than later will save you headaches down the road. JMHO.

Perhaps books on CD might be another option? We love Greathall CDs, and they have two geared toward bedtime...one is Good Night and the other is Sweet Dreams or something like that? DS doesn't use them often before bed but we love those CDs overall (we have a bunch of others too).

veronica
04-02-2008, 07:16 PM
We usually do the video sometime after dinner to start winding down. then we give bath and read books in her room before bed. We do a ton of reading throughout the day and she loves it. The video is just usually a treat (short one) to start the winding down process. I like the kipper idea-dh and I love Kipper.

Emmas Mom
04-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Another one is the Classical Baby series by HBO. We like that a lot for anytime.

bluestar2
04-03-2008, 06:06 PM
The DVDs in the Scholastic series are great.

jerigirl
04-03-2008, 07:28 PM
DS really enjoys his Bee and Me movie from http://memovies.com/ .
We got his on sale sometime last year. They did a gift certificate sale last fall and I gave them to everyone in our playgroup and they all love them as well. I know Bee and Me is pretty low key, I haven't seen Costume Party so I can't say anything about that one...

jeri