PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with BM

MaiseyDog
04-02-2008, 02:29 PM
I have a problem and hope someone can help me figure it out.

I am flying out of town for a wedding this weekend. My 6 month old, who I've been exclusively pumping for, is going to stay with grandma. I'm sending her off with most of my freezer stash to get through the weekend. I'm taking my pump and the hotel we are staying at has a fullsize refrigerator so I plan on freezing what I pump (or would it be better to just keep it refrigerated?). I'm just not sure what is the best way to get it back home. Because I've depleted my freezer, I really want to make it home with what I pump so I can build my stash back up. Does anyone have any experience with this?

tarahsolazy
04-02-2008, 02:57 PM
You can take the frozen milk back in a cooler, which you can check. I transported about 150 oz from the west coast to the midwest while moving a few years ago. I used an old Omaha Steaks styrofoam cooler, and packed the milk, which was in little plastic bottles, in dry ice. I think the dry ice was probably overkill, though. If you brought or bought several of the flexible blue ice things, like you put on injuries, froze them and packed them around the frozen milk inside the cooler, it would stay frozen for a long while. I would definitely freeze, so that it wouldn't leak during transit. I also carried on refrigerated milk (maybe 40oz) after a short business trip in a 6pack sized cooler, also in bottles. That was before all this 3oz or less business, though, that probably won't work now, and it was a bit of a hassle.

elephantmeg
04-02-2008, 03:00 PM
LLL has a forum on storing milk in case you need more ideas...

http://forums.lalecheleague.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13

californiagirl
04-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Print this and take it with you:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/children/formula.shtm

Mothers may travel with their own milk in unlimited quantities, whether or not they have a baby with them. That's the TSA official statement.

MaiseyDog
04-02-2008, 04:36 PM
"greater than 3 ounces of baby formula, breast milk, or juice are permitted through the security checkpoint in reasonable quantities for the duration of your itinerary,"

"You are encouraged to travel with only as much formula, breast milk, or juice in your carry-on needed to reach your destination."

Do you think this means there might be a problem if I try to fly back with 60+ ounces? Obviously, I would much rather have it as a carry on, where I can assure it gets home- not lost or accidently sent to BFE. Also, what about freezer packs to keep it cold. Can those get through security?

tylersmama
04-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Ice packs are allowed as necessary to keep medications cold, and my understanding is that breastmilk falls under those rules.

You should be able to carry 60 ounces with you. The problem is that you could always run across a TSA agent on a power trip who isn't willing to listen to reason and says no. Most TSA agents are going to be fine, but there are definitely some out there who aren't willing to listen to reason. So, what I would do is a) make sure you have the regulations printed out and b) make sure you have enough time that you can go back to the ticket counter and check it if you need to.

pb&j
04-02-2008, 11:18 PM
"greater than 3 ounces of baby formula, breast milk, or juice are permitted through the security checkpoint in reasonable quantities for the duration of your itinerary,"

"You are encouraged to travel with only as much formula, breast milk, or juice in your carry-on needed to reach your destination."

Do you think this means there might be a problem if I try to fly back with 60+ ounces? Obviously, I would much rather have it as a carry on, where I can assure it gets home- not lost or accidently sent to BFE. Also, what about freezer packs to keep it cold. Can those get through security?

If TSA gives you any trouble, make sure to ask for a supervisor. Be polite but firm. I suspect that the TSA folks really won't want to touch your breastmilk with a 10 ft pole and you won't have much trouble at all.

As for ice packs, if you must get rid of them, bring empty ziploc bags and simply go to any restaurant immediately after passing through security and ask for ice to fill them.

Unless you're taking a nonstop flight, I would encourage you to carry on as much as you can. I worked for the airlines for many years, traveled extensively, and am all too aware of the frequency with which checked bags are delayed or misdirected. I wouldn't check my liquid gold unless there was absolutely no other option.

MaiseyDog
04-03-2008, 12:05 AM
Thanks for everyone's help. We leave in the morning and hopefully I've got all the possiblities covered. I'll let you all know how it goes.

MaiseyDog
04-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Well, we are back. Everything went great. The TSA folks were incredible nice and didn't give me any flack at all (we flew out of Norfolk, VA). Anyway, thanks for all the advice.