PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me about probiotics and adults?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
04-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Not just for me and dh but stepmmom is also considering starting. Can someone point me in the right direction for info. I googled it but all I got were websites selling the stuff.

What should adults take? What do probiotics do? Where can I buy it? I know practically nothing about this except that it helps your digestive system. stepmom has ibs and colitis and has stopped taking all of her medications because she had diahhrea for 6 weeks and is down to 110 lbs so she wants to seriously look into probiotics as an alternative. Any help would be appreciated. I have no idea where to start.

LarsMal
04-02-2008, 08:50 PM
I have been taking probiotics for the past couple months, for allergy/skin purposes. Giving it a shot to see if it helps! I have to say I do think it has improved my eczema some.

I did a lot of searching before I decided what to get. I am taking the Natren brand. You can check out their website for info. www.natren.com. It is expensive, but they are supposedly the pioneers in the field, so I went with them. I take the Healthy Start System. Even though it is three pills, it's cheaper than buying the one where the three strains are together.

Here is a link with some info:

http://www.womentowomen.com/digestionandgihealth/probiotics.aspx

Of course it ends with "our program is a great place to start" but it still has some good info.

Have you tried googling "probiotics and/for IBS" or whatever specific need you are looking for? That might get you more info.

Good luck!

**I know some people like Udo's Choice or Jarrow brand as well.

mik8
04-02-2008, 08:57 PM
Probiotics enhance or promote homeostasis "balance" in one's gut flora. When someone has a diarrhea or some kind of inflammatory bowel disease, the normal gut flora (consists of microbes) are almost wiped out. Probiotics may allow a depleted flora to restore.

It can be found in various fermented food products such as the lactobacilli in yogurts.

DrSally
04-03-2008, 10:29 AM
I just got some culturelle at CVS for DS and his diarrhea. It is the same probiotic found in yogurt and apparently doesn't have to be refridgerated. I have heard that most should be refrigerated.

brittone2
04-03-2008, 10:41 AM
They are great for long term immune boosting, as well as controlling things like eczema, yeast related issues (thrush, yeast infections), etc. for some people.

Some of the "good" brands are Natren, Udo, and Jarrow. I personally prefer to take a refrigerated vs. shelf stable one based on what I've researched.

IMO, the other thing to consider is probiotics work best if you don't eat a ton of sugars and feed the not-so-good yeasts, etc. that plague some people.

Basically by taking probiotics you are trying to restore the beneficial bacteria that should populate your intestinal tract. For various reasons (diet, antibiotic prevalence in food and taking as medication), etc. many people no longer are populated w/ the good stuff and are overrun with not-so-healthy bacteria and yeast.

slm3679
04-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Natren Healthy Trinity is one of the best out there.
www.natren.com
I have been taking it for almost ten years. I was diagnosed with uc and had my colon removed 13 years ago and was dealing with complications of the surgery every few months (mostly pouchitis). Since I started taking probiotics I have had relatively no problems.
My mom also takes them to help with her asthma and rarely has to use her inhaler anymore.