PDA

View Full Version : Should I worry about this?

gatorsmom
04-02-2008, 10:09 PM
This might sound like a funny question but, both my 4 month old twins pull their blankets over their faces in order to get to sleep. SiSi even sucks on her blanket before she snuggles her little face into it. Does anyone else have babies that do that? Neither of my first 2 kids did that. These 2 seem to need it to get to sleep. Should I wait til they are asleep and then uncover their faces? Because that is what I do now, but I always worry that sometime I'm going to forget. Or, sometimes I uncover their faces but I go back later to check on them and they've snuggled down into their blankets again.

anyone else have babies that do this?

purpleeyes
04-02-2008, 10:46 PM
Oh yeah, DD does this with her lovey all the time. In fact, for naps, I have started putting it on her face b/c i know its the only way she falls asleep.
We don't put the lovey in the crib with her a night, b/c it does worry me, esp. when I am asleep and cannot check on her. For naps, I don't get too worried, I just check and take it off her face. At night, tho, we won't give her the lovey until she's bigger.
Do you use the Halo sleep sacs? That is what she is in at night, so we don't worry about blankets.

MMEand1
04-02-2008, 11:32 PM
PM'ed you...

Corie
04-03-2008, 07:41 AM
My 3-year-old son has always done this. Whenever I go in to check
on him, all of his covers are pulled up over his head.

(My husband does this too.)

KBecks
04-03-2008, 07:52 AM
Are they thin blankets? If it's like a receiving blanket, I wouldn't worry, well, I would worry, but I'd know it's not serious worry, KWIM?

gatorsmom
04-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Are they thin blankets? If it's like a receiving blanket, I wouldn't worry, well, I would worry, but I'd know it's not serious worry, KWIM?

No, unfortunately they love those soft, fluffy chenille blankets. And Sisi adores a blanket my aunt knitted/crocheted (sorry, don't know the difference) for her. In fact, as I type, I'm watching her snuggle her little face down into her blanket to soothe herself back to sleep. In her swing. The only place they will sleep for more than 30 minutes. But that's for another post. :(

JillSP
04-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Ever since she could roll over, my third (now 12 months) has had this routine of flopping herself into a blanket and burying her face in it in order to go to sleep.

My SIL's fourth wouldn't sleep (and would cry uncontrollably) until you dropped a burp cloth over her face. Sometimes kids just really want to be alone.

As long as they are intentionally pulling the blanket over their face, I wouldn't worry about it.

hillview
04-04-2008, 10:48 AM
So I am a total freak and didn't allow DSs to go to bed with ANYTHING. Now that DS is 7.5 months he has a SMALL lovey he can take to bed (it is the size of a large hardcover book). I was really worried about SIDS.

casey0729
04-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Both of my DCs loved to snuggle into their blankets from the start. DS is almost 3 and sleeps with all the covers over his head. DD is almost 9 mos and she will not sleep unless she has her blanket bunny snuggled into her face.

MontrealMum
04-04-2008, 11:43 AM
We swaddled DS because I was terrified of SIDS, but he would just burrow his face under the lip of the swaddle. I checked on him obsessively and tried to reposition the swaddle until he got old enough that that was waking him up. He then slept on his tummy (still swaddled!) so I switched him to a sleep sak, which he now sleeps in, mostly on his tummy, or with a stuffed animal very near his face. He's pretty wiggly and strong but I still worry about the safety of it - yet he won't go to sleep without being in that position. Apparently I slept the same way - maybe it's genetic.

Rayray24
04-04-2008, 02:07 PM
My dd dosn't do this, but my bf just had a boy he is about 5 months and his thing is his soft teddy bear. He has to rub his face on it to get to sleep then it has to stay over top of his face or he wakes up. I know my friend has said if you were to look into his crib she would probably get in trouble, b/c she has two or three teddy bears around him so if he wakes he can grab one and rub it on his face. :ROTFLMAO: Babies are so cute! I do know that she watches him and when he falls asleep she moves it off his face if its close by his mouth or nose. I'm sure it's a big no, no but he has been doing it since he was 3 months old, and he's ok. I would just watch them and make sure the blankets stay away from there mouth and nose!

~~Jennie~~:yay:

lizajane
04-04-2008, 02:12 PM
my friend's DD did this. she would leave her face HALF covered until she went to sleep and then she would take it away.