PDA

View Full Version : Baby Care Book Recommendations?

ahrimie
04-03-2008, 09:25 AM
I loved the BBB and am currently reading Baby 411. I'm a first time mom and just trying to read as much as I can about baby care since I'm sure I won't have the chance when bebe is here in May! =P

Do any of you other moms or dads have books you really liked? I've seen the Sears' Book and the book by the American Academy of Pediatrics. Anyone have strong feelings about one over the other or another book I might be missing?

Thanks so much!!

katydid1971
04-03-2008, 11:16 AM
I love the Sears' Baby Book and give it to all my friends when they have their first baby. I have the AAP but I never open it, I just prefer the Sears' book. I haven't read 411 so I can't comment if there is over lap between those two books. If you go to your library they will have both of those plus others and you can see what book feels right to you (they are all different and you have to find something that fits your style) and then invest in the one you like.

carolinamama
04-03-2008, 11:37 AM
I second the recommendation for the Dr. Sears Baby Book. Good medical reference and was my basic go-to book for my son's first year or so. It does have an ap slant, but you don't have to follow all of their advise on that - I certainly don't follow all of it.

wendibird22
04-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Don't know if you plan to BF...
I was given this book (another by Sears) and found it really helpful.
http://www.amazon.com/Breastfeeding-Book-Everything-Nursing-Through/dp/0316779245

SnuggleBuggles
04-03-2008, 11:48 AM
I'd get both the AAP one and the Sears' one. :) I devoured both when I had my 1st. I liked the AAP book for the illness info and their age specific discussions on physical, emotional and other development milestones to expect. I liked the Sears' one as an all purpose book but especially for the solid feeding info, sleep info and illness information. I also read "What to Expect The First Year" w/ my first but I don't really like it now. I think the format just is annoying and their advice is biased but, unlike Dr. Sears who is up front about it, they come across as neutral so I feel like you miss choices.

I liked "Heading Home With Your Newborn" by Laura Jana. Mind you, the info is really only applicable for about the 1st 2 months (and getting ready for baby). so it might be worth getting it from the library before your EDD and just renew it till done. :)

If you are planning to breastfeed it would be a good idea to have something like "The Nursing Mother's Companion" by Huggins around.

I only skimmed through the 411 book and didn't really find it was to my taste. It just wasn't for how I parent, for the most part. There was good stuff in there wrt baby care but not really parenting. Then again, I don't really like parenting books which is why I get out the Sears' book not how to be an AP mom but what solid foods to feed when. Any book you can find things you agree and disagree with. Don't follow any book over your own instincts. :)

Beth

jerigirl
04-03-2008, 12:22 PM
If you are planning to breastfeed it would be a good idea to have something like "The Nursing Mother's Companion" by Huggins around.

Beth
I second this book. Very informative. Good reference to keep on hand.

jeri

WatchingThemGrow
04-03-2008, 02:07 PM
I got the Sears book on a recommendation, but after the first month, I've not looked at it much. My faves: Baby 411, **Child of Mine:Feeding with Love and Good Sense*by Ellyn Satter, maybe Healthy Sleep Habits/Happy Child and Happiest Baby on the Block for the first few weeks of life. I felt obligated to read What to Expect, and it was good to get bits of info periodically. Another thing I've enjoyed reading - the BabyCenter.com emails. DH was getting them too, so I didn't feel like I had to be the only researcher. It gave him something to learn/try with the baby.

ahrimie
04-03-2008, 03:33 PM
thank you for the advice!! i'm lovin' it!

i do plan on breastfeeding and a friend gave me "a nursing mother's companion"... i definitely think it's a good read. i've devoured sooo many pregnancy books and now i'm like, 'i need to read baby care and breastfeeding books!' =)

catpagmo
04-03-2008, 05:26 PM
I recommend the Sears book, too. It's very helpful. My DD is a little over 2, and I still use it occasionally. It's a great reference.

For breastfeeding, I recommend The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers, by Jack Newman. It's a lifesaver at 3 am when you can't get your DC to latch on!