PDA

View Full Version : How to remove blood stains

lmintzer
04-03-2008, 10:31 AM
My older son has a fabulous guitar print duvet cover. It has been discontinued, so I cannot replace it. He had a nose bleed one night, and there are now blood stains on it. The background color is white, so even though the spots are small, they show a lot. I tried spot treating and machine washing to no avail.

He absolutely refuses to use the cover, even though it's been washed.

Does anyone know how I might get these stains out, or do I just have to give the thing up? His whole room is decorated around this duvet cover.

Should I try Oxyclean? Dry cleaning? Other ideas?

Thanks.

ThreeofUs
04-03-2008, 10:38 AM
I have always found a slow soak in cold water (blood side down) to do the trick. You need to leave the fabric in contact with the water for about a day, but it's always worked for me.

schums
04-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Assuming the blood stains are on the white section, you could try the Clorox Bleach pen. It works awesome, and the bleach is actually like a gel, so it stays where you put it. You'd just have to use a tiny bit, and then rinse VERy carefully so it doesn't get on the colored sections. I've use it lots on multicolored clothes that have stains on white parts and haven't had any trouble. You could also try a paste of oxyclean on the stains and leave it overnight. Soaking it in Oxyclean may fade the colors. I wouldn't dry clean it -- I think I read somewhere that dry cleaning sets blood stains permanently (but I'm not 100% sure).

Just an FYI for next time, if the blood is fresh, dump hydrogen peroxide on it. Takes out most of the stain right away, and the washer will usually get the rest.

GL!

Piglet
04-03-2008, 10:50 AM
I bet the moms in Butts would be able to help you. If anyone one here knows laundry, they would be my best bet. Also, whatever the recommended cleaning system for mama cloths is, I bet will work great for you. If it were me, I would try the Oxyclean, but no overdo it - use a spot treatment rather than the soak.

tnrnchick74
04-03-2008, 10:55 AM
I would still try peroxide, even though the stain is a little older. I frequently use peroxide on old blood stains on my scrubs and GENERALLY have success.

denvergal
04-03-2008, 11:07 AM
they had a "laundry 101" segment and for blood stains the woman said to put a little bit of ammonia, detergent and water in a spray bottle and spray onto the blood stain.

carolinamama
04-03-2008, 11:17 AM
I always have had great luck with a Biz soak for blood stains. Mix it is a bucket or utility sink with warm water (a scoop or so of Biz depending on amount of water) and soak the affected part overnight. I have never had problems with fading colors but maybe check a hidden part first.

FYI - This is a GREAT method to keep your good panties good should they get alittle blood on them.

ellies mom
04-03-2008, 12:05 PM
I would still try peroxide, even though the stain is a little older. I frequently use peroxide on old blood stains on my scrubs and GENERALLY have success.
This is what I use too. The fact that it is on white is a plus.

Davids-Coco
04-03-2008, 12:28 PM
I have good luck with cold water and bioclean.

JMarie
04-03-2008, 06:33 PM
I've had the best luck with Fels Naptha. It's not easy to find (I've only seen it in one store), but it lasts forever. It looks like a bar of soap, but I was able to get out dried-in mustard and blood out of my DS's favorite shirt.

Melbel
04-03-2008, 08:03 PM
A hospital nurse once suggested using a cleaning product called Zout for blood stains and it has worked great for us, with no fading. We are big fans for all of our stains.

Melissa

Emmas Mom
04-03-2008, 09:13 PM
I've had the best luck with Fels Naptha. It's not easy to find (I've only seen it in one store), but it lasts forever. It looks like a bar of soap, but I was able to get out dried-in mustard and blood out of my DS's favorite shirt.

The Queen of Clean swears by that stuff!

Mommy Of A Little Angel
04-03-2008, 09:30 PM
I have used water and baking soda. Just mix some baking soda into a bin of water and soak. It worked great when I cut my finger then proceeded to get blood on my roommate's white shirt in college! I think I let it soak for more than a day! Hope that helps!

kransden
04-04-2008, 08:37 AM
That's a no-brainer :) use hydron peroxide. Pour it on the stains to soak them and let it sit for a couple of hours. Wash it as usual. Check the stains before you dry it though. They should come right out.

lmintzer
04-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Thank you so much for the suggestions! I had no idea there were so many home remedies. I'll let you know what I try and if it works. : )