PDA

View Full Version : Need someone to relate with

toothfairy
04-03-2008, 03:09 PM
My DD was diagnosed as failure to thrive at one year of age, about three months ago. She was small at birth 4lb, 6 oz, (36 weeks gestation) and has never had a length above, I believe the 10th percentile, nor a weight above the 5th. Recently at her fifteen month well-child visit she measured about 28" height and 14lb, 11 oz weight--this weight puts her in the very negative on the growth chart for her age. Her appetite has been steadily declining since she weaned from BF at 13 months (incidently I hadn't planned to wean entirely at that point, I think she went on strike and I just let it be). Despite my best efforts to supplement her foods and provide rich fortified beverages for her she hasn't gained the weight she needs. And now she just doesn't eat much at all. We saw a ped gastroenterologist yesterday and the doc wanted to admit her right away and tube feed her. My daughter is an active child, developementally on target and happy and this is so difficult for me to take in. I became emotional in the doc's exam room and thankfully the physician was willing to let us have one more shot at getting calories in her over the weekend. Any other moms of FTT children out there who can give re-assurance? This is tough for us.

Amy

citymama
04-03-2008, 03:34 PM
I'm not a mom of an FTT kid, but I just wanted to send you and your family good wishes. Sounds like you're doing all the right things and it's great that she's developmentally on track. Hang in there!

elektra
04-03-2008, 05:05 PM
My DD is also below the 5% for weight. She started out at about 35% and had just dropped in percentages each time. She hasn't been diagnosed with failure to thrive so I can't give you tons of "been there done that" reassurance. But people say stuff to me all the time that gets me upset so I just wanted to say I can commiserate on that front.
People have told me:
"How did YOU (I am 5' 10", 160) have such a tiny baby?"
"Don't worry, she'll be happy when she's a teenager and doesn't have to diet."
"Maybe you should have supplemented with formula sooner rather then EBF for so long."
And sometimes people just look at me funny, when I tell them how old she is. It's almost like they are waiting for some explanation as to why she is so small.
Anyway, hugs to you. Hopefully when your DD grows up to be happy and healthy, you will look back on this time as something you worried about but in retrospect was no big deal.

SnuggleBuggles
04-03-2008, 10:28 PM
((((Hugs)))) There was a thread about this last week in the lounge. You might want to look there for some more bdtd mom stories. :)

Beth

wendibird22
04-04-2008, 10:59 AM
I do not have personal experience but did want to share another resource. I frequent the LLLI forum and if you search on Failure to Thrive there's are lots of BTDT mamas with advice on adding calories and dealing with the FTT diagnosis, many of whom are former BF'ers whose nurslings have weaned (so the advice isn't all about increasing BF).
http://forums.llli.org/index.php

Best of luck to you and your DD.

missym
04-04-2008, 11:09 AM
I would highly recommend this Yahoo support group:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ChildrenWithFailureToThrive/

Our DD1 has always been very skinny, and we fought a FTT diagnosis because it's just her genetic predisposition. It was quite stressful for us when she was a baby, and I joined the Yahoo group during that time. Luckily, no other medical problems showed up, and we and her pediatrician came to realize that it's just how she is. She is now a healthy, skinny, 5 year old.

I hope you are able to find some good information and support! Hang in there, I know it's hard. :hug:

trales
04-04-2008, 12:59 PM
DD was given the horrible FTT at 1 year, she was losing weight rapidly. After a lot of investigation, it turns out she has reflux. We have been giving her the medication and she is doing a lot better, in fact she is gaining again. She is only in the 10th percentile, though she started for a few months in the 95th. They were not concerned with her percentile, just than her growth curve was curving down and not up. Now she is moving up. Our ped said she does not care how much she gains as long as she gains.

I have been adding whole milk, butter, olive oil and other fatty things to her food. We are trying to get as much nutrition out of each bite since she does not eat very often. She is still BF, but she mainly only BF's at night. She won't drink anything.

FTT is the worst thing a doctor can tell you. I almost feel like it is a mean diagnosis. You may request to meet with a dietician also, that has helped us a lot. Does she drink whole milk? Can you mix butter in her food?

Good luck, it is an emotional roller coaster. Feel free to email or PM me.