PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive, great housewarming present?

alexsmommy
04-03-2008, 08:44 PM
One of my good friends just bought a house. She is one of those wonderful giving people that everyone should have in her life. She married and divorced young and hasn't remarried - although she would love to - and just bought a house on her own. I am so happy she worked thorugh her sadness about not having found a husband and has decided not to put her life on hold waiting for Mr. Right. Money is somewhat tight right now as I am directly impacted by the "economic slowdown" and we are really trying to cut back just in case things get worse. I don't want this to stop me from getting something for her just because I am so happy for her. She did own a condo, but with a house there is just so much more needed. I've thought about a $50 gift cert to Home Depot or Lowes, but I want something a little more personal. Any ideas? There are some ladies around here who are so creative - TIA for any ideas.

caleymama
04-03-2008, 08:51 PM
I've had my eye on these for a while, although I've never seen one in person. I'm just waiting for the right opportunity to give one to someone as a housewarming gift.

A "House Blessing" from Dogeared Jewels:
http://www.dogeared.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGYMINI&Category_Code=house-blessings

Admittedly it's not a very practical gift, but I love the sentiments with each different blessing.

How sweet of you to get her something :)

Twoboos
04-03-2008, 08:56 PM
These are unique and useful, and whenever I have given them as gifts they have been a huge hit!

http://www.expressionery.com/line.aspx?lineid=29

ETA: some discount codes (although not sure if they work on the stamps, but even if they don't it's still a great gift and worth it IMO!):
30% off entire stock, plus free ship, code "bloom" exp 5/31/08
40% off all mother's day items, plus free ship, code "mother" exp 5/6/08

home for 10% off and free ship
green for 40% off of select "green" stationary (whatever that is...)
home4 for 40% off and free shipping

Emmas Mom
04-03-2008, 09:07 PM
What are her likes? How about putting together a gift basket yourself. Like a bottle of her favorite wine. Or coffee or tea. A couple cute mugs, some dish towels or small "cutesy" type things for the kitchen, all thrown into a cute basket. Or something like popcorn, candy, a DVD rental GC, a book store GC. Or better yet an actual movie or book rr CD if you know of one she likes. Or something fragrant for her to enjoy a bath, some candles. I think if YOU actually put something together based on what you know of her she'd appreciate that. At least I know I would. :) OR....more brainstorming here....what about a coffee table piece. Like a really nice book of something she loves (cooking, architecture, horses, things like that) or a bonzai tree. A subscription to her favorite magazine. What you think she'd appreciate?

tnrnchick74
04-03-2008, 09:14 PM
I usually do a little basket as well and either include bread making stuff or herb gardening stuff (depending on the person).

A typical "bread" basket would include: a loaf of fresh baked bread; a quick bread mix; recipie for the fresh baked bread; and a gourmet jam or spread. I line the basket with a nice tea towel and the basket can be used as a bread basket.

A typical "herb" basket would be: cuttings from my own herb garden repotted into small pots OR seeds for the "major" herbs (rosemary, thyme, cilantro, basil, lavender, etc) with small pots; a small book on container herb gardening; a small spade and watering/spray bottle; and a small bottle of herb infused olive oil.

Thats about as crafty as I get! I have no problem with gift certs for other things, but for some reason I feel that housewarming presents should be personal and include something homemade...kinda brings good karma into the new home.

cheme
04-03-2008, 09:22 PM
I like to copy what George Bailey and his wife do in the movie "It's a Wonderful Life". The line is ""Bread -- that this house may never know hunger. Salt -- that life may always have flavor." --Mary. "Wine -- that joy and prosperity may reign forever." --George.

You can put the things in a nice basket lined with a kitchen towel and can even add your own touches...for example candle/matches so there is always a light on, etc.

Another idea would be a nice welcome mat or a nice potted plant.

Jen841
04-03-2008, 09:29 PM
You stole my idea! Just kidding. I love this...
I like to copy what George Bailey and his wife do in the movie "It's a Wonderful Life". The line is ""Bread -- that this house may never know hunger. Salt -- that life may always have flavor." --Mary. "Wine -- that joy and prosperity may reign forever." --George.

You can put the things in a nice basket lined with a kitchen towel and can even add your own touches...for example candle/matches so there is always a light on, etc.

In the box you could put return address labels you run through your printer with her new address.

Does she have a FAVORITE part of the house? If so, something for that... i.e. Master Bath- bubble bath, kitchen window - potted herbs to put on the window, fireplace - nice container for matches or firestarters, large pantry - dry goods... you get the drift

Has she moved yet? Last on first off box is always nice. Include toilet paper, paper towels, bottle of spray cleaner, bottles of water, a few stamps, pen, paper,... all the stuff you can't find when you are in the middle of moving and need ASAP.

bubbaray
04-03-2008, 09:48 PM
How about a copy of Clean House, Clean Planet and some vinegar, baking soda, a bunch of microfibre cloths from the dollar store? Nice, practical gift and you help the planet too!

You could even buy her a spider plant or one of the ones that help clean the air in your house....

lizajane
04-03-2008, 10:36 PM
a birdfeeder!! to welome feathered friends to her home as she feathers her own nest. we LOVE watching the birds come to our birdfeeder right outside of kitchen bay window.

WatchingThemGrow
04-03-2008, 10:39 PM
With a new house, seems like there's always something that you want to paint. Would she appreciate a gc to Sherwin-Williams for some new paint? That would be a favorite for me!

cvanbrunt
04-04-2008, 04:20 AM
If she's a cook, Penzy's Spices does very nice gift boxes in a range of prices. You can also create your own.

When we bought our first house I remember thinking we should have just had our paychecks deposited into The Home Depot because we spent so much there; so a gift card would be very pratical and appreciated.

AbbysMom
04-04-2008, 06:55 AM
Someone else posted a link in the Bargain forum this week for a monogrammed entry mat for $14.99. I just bought one for a friend and it is under $20 shipped. I also would LOVE a gift certificate to Home Depot. But my usual "new house" gift is a gift certificate to the supermarket, especially for people being their first home. I found it so expensive when I first got married to buy all the necessities at the supermarket.

katydid1971
04-04-2008, 08:15 PM
I think your first idea was a great one. I know personally that most of the stuff people gave us as house warming gifts just became clutter I eventually garage saled. However I used the Home Depot cards my brother and DH's sister gave us. We had a lot of painting to do when we moved in and needed new garden supplies etc it was nice to go get what WE wanted and needed not another cute basket that I had to remember to have out the next time that person came over!!!! If you want to dress it up how about a gift card tied to a bottle of wine.

kcimato
04-04-2008, 10:21 PM
I'll second the address stamp from Expressionery. At 40% off that is a great deal. I just bought one a few months back for a friend who had moved. She loved it. I also have one and everyone asks where I got my stamp. It is my go to housewarming gift.

Mamma2004
04-04-2008, 11:23 PM
How about a copy of Clean House, Clean Planet and some vinegar, baking soda, a bunch of microfibre cloths from the dollar store? Nice, practical gift and you help the planet too!

You could even buy her a spider plant or one of the ones that help clean the air in your house....

Love the idea of CH,CP and the natural ingredients to make it work!

cmonbaby
04-04-2008, 11:32 PM
I'll third the recommendation for the address stamp from expressionary. I just ordered one this week for a friend who is moving. Make note that they say it can take 20-22 days for a personalized stamp to ship though. I didn't realize that until I placed my order. Crossing my fingers that they don't actually take that long.

I LOVE the suggestion of Green House, Green Planet and all the goodies to go with it to get her started. I will have to make a mental note of that!

Giftcards to Lowes/ Home Depot and the grocery are great ideas that anyone would be happy to receive! Good luck deciding on your gift!

urquie
04-05-2008, 12:57 AM
i loved receiving a cookie jar filled with homemade chocolate chip cookies! it was a classy, plain white, air-tight jar made by martha stewart (and could be used for something other than cookies :). you could also tie some favorite cookie recipes on with a nice ribbon.

eta: i tried to find the martha stewart jar with no success, but maybe something like this...
http://www.amazon.com/Fitz-Floyd-Gourmet-Claires-Canister/dp/B000ZMD9AQ/ref=sr_1_76?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1207370274&sr=1-76