PDA

View Full Version : Eggs - good past expiration date on carton?

Mamma2004
04-07-2008, 01:32 PM
I just bought some fresh organic, hormone free eggs for my impending baking spree (company in two days). I discovered, however, that I have a dozen eggs in the frig with date of March 5. Is it best to just toss them? Are they still good for baking? I usually err WAY on the side of caution but I do not wish to be wasteful.

TIA!

SnuggleBuggles
04-07-2008, 01:34 PM
I would just crack them individually before using them just to be sure they look and smell ok. I would keep them. They often redate eggs anyway so they really do last longer than the expiration date, from what I have heard.

Beth

MamaMolly
04-07-2008, 01:55 PM
I have a really old Betty Crocker cookbook (my mom's first, and she's 70!) and they say to float the eggs to check if they are good to use. Fill a tall drinking glass with water and gently put the egg in. If it sinks, then it is fine to use, if it floats 1/2 way use it right away, if it floats to the top chuck them out. It has to do with the air that gets into the shell as the eggs age. I've done this all my life and it has never failed. HTH

Gena
04-07-2008, 01:56 PM
You can place the egg in a small bowl of water. As eggs age, the amount of gas inside increases. A fresh egg will lay flat in the bottom of the bowl. An egg that is a couple of weeks old will stand vertically in the water. A really old egg will float. Don't use any eggs that float.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Eggs/EggsFloat.htm

Lovingliv
04-07-2008, 11:31 PM
This is great to know....thanks ladies.

Mamma2004
04-08-2008, 07:14 AM
Thanks, Ladies! My eggs sank like stones so I went ahead and used them yesterday. I also smelled each one as I cracked it into a separate custard dish and they were fine.

You are all such a tremendous source of knowledge!

DrSally
04-08-2008, 10:32 AM
March 5 may be the "sell by" date, and they're good for a certain amount ot time after that. I believe cartons have both a packed on and sell by date. I've heard that they don't really go bad, just lose their flavor and cohesiveness?