PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle pottying in public at first?

JTsMom
04-07-2008, 06:31 PM
We're making some pretty good headway on the PT front. DS is doing well peeing in the potty and/or the big toilet at home, even when wearing pants. We've been doing the pants thing for about 3 weeks or so. He has had a couple of accidents, but not many. He still refuses to poop on the potty though, and I don't want to push, so I'll just wait it out a little longer.

I *think* the next step should be wearing underwear while we're out and about, but I'm not sure how to handle that transition. Should I carry his potty in the car? What about if we do something like go to the mall? I have tried a couple of times to get him to go on a public toilet, but he refused. I think the noise is too scary. Plus, he tends to lean on the seat with his hands which just seems way too gross.

WatchingThemGrow
04-07-2008, 07:08 PM
I look forward to reading more answers. We put the Bjorn little potty in the car in a plastic grocery bag and a diaper doubler (similar to a maxipad). The plastic bag covers the potty, then the absorbent pad. I also have a box of tissue back there. After the event is done, the whole thing is tossed. I have a few set-ups in the car. I haven't been to any stores/mall with her during these 3 weeks, probably because I'm scared of this very thing!

Wife_and_mommy
04-07-2008, 07:33 PM
I always worried about the same thing but if you have them go before you leave home you're usually good for the duration of the trip.

If I was out long enough for her to need to go again, the places we were(target/mall) weren't as nasty as one usually thinks they'll be. I just held her on the potty so she wouldn't need to hold on to it.

You might start with a short trip. I think ours was the grocery store so it was 1.5 hours.

JBaxter
04-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Boys are easy :) Inside toilets have them stand on your feet in front of the toilet to pee. If they have to go before you get inside let them pee on the tire tread of the car. You can kind of shelter them from the back and no one sees. We also kept an an empty shampoo bottle in a zip lock bag to pee in when it was to cold to pee outside. Ive had 3 boys and I cant ever remember any of them pooping on a public toilet.

o_mom
04-07-2008, 08:42 PM
We used the BB Little Potty in the car. I just had them pee in it and I emptied it in the nearest grass strip, wiped with a Clorox wipe and called it good. In a store I held them on the potty until they are ready to go it alone. DS1 still prefers to sit and I just make sure he washes well after touching things. DS2 has just started and has only used a public restroom a few times. He still sits, also, and I'm not about to encourage standing and the mess that it makes.

JTsMom
04-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Awesome answers guys, thanks! Keep em coming!

Gena
04-08-2008, 12:38 PM
A lot of DS's potty training took place in public restrooms. With his therapy schedule, staying home to PT was simply not an option. And I know that I am in the minority, but I have no problem with DS sitting on the toilet seat in a public restroom to pee. He still sits to pee at home, so we do the same thing when we are out and about. In reality, public restroom seats are not that bad and I do wipe it down before he sits. DS is afraid of the hot air hand dryers, so I often have him use hand sanitizer instead.

I kept several chances of clothes in the car and just accepted the idea that there would be accidents, but eventually DS would get it.

Many malls, Target stores, highway rest stops, and other places have family rest rooms. These are often (but not always) cleaner, quieter, and more private than the regular rest room.

o_mom
04-11-2008, 01:41 PM
One other thing I remembered.... DS1 was extremely scared of sitting on a toilet without a potty ring. I carried our BabyBjorn potty ring around for a few months. I put it in a plastic wet bag and put that in our diaper backpack. It was a pain, but I decided it was worth it to not have diapers. Eventually, he figured out how to balance on the seat without it and didn't need it anymore. One other option for you!

JBaxter
04-11-2008, 02:53 PM
OH and beware of auto flush toilets it scares the daylights out of little people. Nathan completely freaked out one day it "flushed" on him.

JTsMom
04-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Well, we had our first diaper-free outing today, and it was a success! :cheerleader1: I was pretty nervous b/c he wouldn't go right before we left, and we were gone longer than I had planned- probably about 2 hours- but he never asked to go, so it wasn't even an issue.

The potty ring is a good idea- we do have one of those, so it is a possibility, I'd just have to get a bigger bag to hide it in. Maybe I'll give that a whirl, just in case. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I really loved the shampoo bottle idea too- that is brilliant. Seriously- small, works anywhere, has a lid, nobody would know what it was, and it can be thrown out. I think we'll have to try it at home and see if he'll go for that. It would be so easy to chuck one in my bag, and it would totally skirt the toilet issue, and would work anywhere.

So is there anything you can do about the self-flushing toilets? Like put my hand in front of it or something? You girls think of everything. :bowdown:

JTsMom
04-11-2008, 04:00 PM
oooh, one more question- for those of you who use the potty in the car, do you put it on the seat? My seats are slanty, and my car is just a little Camry, so it's pretty much the seat or the trunk.

o_mom
04-11-2008, 04:05 PM
We use the floor of the van. Haven't tried it in a sedan - I would try the floor. Maybe you could move the passenger seat all the way up to make room?

Gena
04-12-2008, 12:38 PM
So is there anything you can do about the self-flushing toilets? Like put my hand in front of it or something? You girls think of everything.

Carry a small pad of post it notes. They work great for blocking the light sensor.

WatchingThemGrow
04-12-2008, 12:57 PM
oooh, one more question- for those of you who use the potty in the car, do you put it on the seat?

DH just put it on the ground instead of in the Accord. I use it in the back of the CR-V.