PDA

View Full Version : Flying with 1 yr. old- Any tips, suggestions, etc.?

dolphilisa
04-07-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm flying to Orlando this coming Thursday (not to Disney) with my 1 year old DS. It's my first time flying with a child. It's only a two hour flight (I'm praying for no delays!). Anyone have tips or suggestions for the waiting time beforehand in the terminal, on the plane, etc.? What to take on the plane for DS and for myself(clothing, any particular toys)? Are you allowed to take things like applesauce, yogurt, cheese sticks, etc? With the safety regulations, I'm not exactly sure what's allowed and what isn't. I assume you're allowed sippy cups?? He'll be sitting on my lap. (yes, I know about safety issues due to turbulence, etc.)

TIA!

hannah
04-09-2008, 05:27 PM
I have flown a lot with our kids. For the plane I always take plenty of diapers/wipes and food. Lots of snacks - sometimes I bring new foods that they have never seen before. I was able to get through security with yogurt, applesauce, cheese sticks and the small Gerber bottles of juice (4 oz). Sometimes I empty the sippy cups out before going through security. Be prepared to purchase water or milk on the other side. Not all airlines have milk on board (some only carry it for morning flights) so sometimes I purchase that before getting on the plane. Also I have gotten through with milk in a sippy. I also bring at least 2 extra outfits for each kid - and sometimes an extra shirt for me. We now have a portable DVD player that we brought on the last trip for DD (3yo). For DS (1yo) I brought some small toys and books. He also played with the airline magazines and the headphones.
Relax- you'll do fine. And remember that only about the 3 or 4 rows in front and in back of you can hear if DC is screaming! Have a safe trip!

californiagirl
04-09-2008, 06:11 PM
After enough trips and enough versions of this question, I made a web page with my carry-on advice: http://www.otoh.org/xwiki/bin/view/Elizabeth/PackingCarryOn

maylips
04-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Just flew a couple of days ago with my one-year-old DD. Flight was only 1 1/2 hours. We were delayed for 1 1/2 hours in the airport - not fun because she needed a nap and she will not go to sleep when there are people to greet and coordinate! :)

I bought some sticky notes at the dollar store and she had a good time with those. She also loved playing with the seat belt - opening and shutting that. books are helpful so she can turn the pages. Make sure she wears something that's easy to change her! Keeping all your baggage together while changing diapers isn't fun, so make it as easy as possible for you.

I flew out of Atlanta and as my diaper bag was going through security she asked me this bag was for a baby - I'm guessing because there was water in her straw cup. Once I got through security, I bought whole milk at a Starbucks. Applesauce is pretty messy - I'd recommend a banana or something less spillable.

Not sure about 2 extra outfits, but I would bring one and possible a shirt for you, if you care about possibly having toddler leftovers all over you. I didn't worry about it because I was carrying too much other crap!

In the terminal, it was a cluster since there were a LOT of delays. There were two little girls near me - an 8 year old and 12 year old - and they thankfully loved DD and kept her somewhat entertained. She was pretty interested in things going on around her, so it wasn't bad until she got tired.

Honestly, getting through security is the roughest, having to hold baby, take off your shoes, (in my case I also had to take my computer out of my backpack), fold up the stroller, and kind of watch your purse and stuff, all while hanging onto your boarding pass. A mess! So just don't be rushed. Sometimes TSA is awesome about helping and other times they're completely put out.

Safe travels!

jerigirl
04-15-2008, 04:36 PM
After enough trips and enough versions of this question, I made a web page with my carry-on advice: http://www.otoh.org/xwiki/bin/view/Elizabeth/PackingCarryOn

Thank you for sharing your link!!! You have a lot of great info. We don't travel a lot by plane but your tips will be handy for when we do!

jeri

mom2binsd
04-15-2008, 05:11 PM
Even though you don't have a ticket for him I'd bring the carseat right up to the gate...ask the gate employee at the desk about 1/2 before departure if there is any chance there will be an extra seat...they are often very accommodatingas they prefer babies in carseats...if not gate check it and your stroller (if you have an infant seat still I'm sure you have a stroller it snaps into...a convertible seat will fit on top of most strollers (see the carseat board for ideas)..I would never suggest checking a carseat with luggage...the chance of damage or worse not having a seat at your destination is too great.

Have a great flight!

dolphilisa
04-20-2008, 09:37 AM
Thanks so much for all of your tips and suggestions. We had a great flight and the airport personnel and airlines were great!

I asked for a gate pass for my husband and then one for my Mother on the way back. You ask for it when checking in and they just need to see their driver's license. They write their name on a slip of paper and only need to show it when going through security. It was such a huge help having someone to assist me!