PDA

View Full Version : So frustrated w/cat problem in our neighborhood

lisams
04-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Just need to vent....I'm so frustrated and angry right now. Another stray cat has given birth to a litter this AM in our back yard (this'll make the fourth litter in two years). We have tried and tried to stop this cycle, but we just can't do it on our own. I'm mad at our neighbors who let their cats roam around and take no responsibility at all. Here's a recent editorial we sent to our local paper when the issue of controlling pets came up -

(ETA that Sandi Glauser is someone who writes a column for the paper, so this was our response to her article about how we should enjoy all the cats roaming throughout many communities in our area)
"Sandi Glauser of Gilbert thinks everyone should just sit back and enjoy the free roaming cats in their neighborhood. She finds it "incomprehensible" that people should "imprison" their felines indoors.

Maybe she would like to donate money to groups like AzCATs or Blistered Whiskers every year like we end up doing to spay the females and foster the kittens that are born in our yard. Maybe she would like to clean up the feces in the grass or vegetable garden and the sticky smelly urine off all the furniture and playthings like we have to do every day before letting our children play in our own yard. Maybe she would like to bottle feed abandoned newborns every two hours, day and night, like we have. Maybe she would enjoy the constant howling, fighting, marking and mating in her yard that we had to endure last month from the seemingly endless stream of tomcats (many of which had collars) roaming freely through our neighborhood. Maybe she would like to foster the kittens that will soon arrive from last month's encounters. "Uncontrollable abundance" indeed.

We have two cats that live a completely indoor life. They are happy, healthy, well adjusted and are safe from diseases, animals, cars, and people. Most importantly, they don't destroy other people's property or leave kittens for other people to deal with. We accepted responsibility for our cats when we adopted them. We've assumed responsibility for the females we've spayed and kittens we've fostered. We've gone out of our way to make up for the irresponsibility of others but it's just spiraling out of control. If Sandi is willing to walk the talk then we'd be happy to send some of our abundance her way."

Just so frustrated with irresponsible people today, that's all. If I didn't care as much as I do, I'd hand deliver these kittens right to their doorstep and tell them to deal with it. Grrrrrr. Anyone have a happy story to share today to lighten my mood?!!