PDA

View Full Version : have you used train or cake pans for birthday party?

skohng
04-08-2008, 04:32 PM
i'm doing a semi-theme for ds' birthday party with cars and trucks. i like the cake pans from WS/Nordicware (train and cars) and was thinking of doing an activity with the kids so that they decorate it. then it can be the birthday cake and each child can eat their creation.

is this a good idea? i wonder if ds will throw a tantrum b/c he doesn't have a "traditional" birthday cake ? (he's turning 3)

where do you stick the candles so they don't mess up the design?

what candies do you use to make it a worthwhile activity? is there anything readymade that i can just cut and have the kids "glue" on?

ThreeofUs
04-08-2008, 05:13 PM
I made the cars and let the kids decorate them. What a hit - the kids loved it! And they got *covered* in frosting and crumbs, which with the birthday hats made for unforgettable pictures.

I got peppermint and butterscotch rounds, sugar-coated jelly candies, and candy tape. I had the candy in little bowls around the table (and had cut the tape into "windshield" and "bumper" size pieces), with little bowls of frosting with popsickle sticks.

DH actually wanted us to have a birthday cake, so we had a carrot cake with candles. DS liked blowing out the candles, but didn't really like the cake. I don't think I'd do it that way again.

Have a wonderful party!

BeachBum
04-10-2008, 07:49 AM
We did trains for DS's 2nd B-day. The kids were a little young to get it, but it was fun. We used lots of mini M&M's but I honestly don't remember what else.

I made a separate round cake where DS blew out the candles. This cake was served to the adults.

Jen841
04-10-2008, 09:28 AM
We put a number candle on the engine and that was the birthday boy one. More of the decorating was by me, but that was fine.

skohng
04-11-2008, 12:44 AM
great idea! i think i'll get a separate cake for the adults and have that be the candle cake.

glad to read that i don't have to get anything fancy schmancy for decorating the train cars.
(but if i wanted to, where do i get candy tape?)

Jen841
04-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Not sure what that is, but Fruit leathers and roll-ups work great for these!

I went to a bulk food section of a store and got a variety of candy... and the favorites by far were the M&M's... regular and mini. I wondered why I bothered with other stuff.

rlu
04-11-2008, 03:16 PM
We did the trains and a castle cake. The candles go one in each turret (not sure what we'll do when he turns 5 next year).

The train cake was chocolate (we didn't decorate it) and the castle cake pumpkin spice. Half a train car for each 4 year was sufficient.

OT - the train cake pan is much much easier to clean than the castle pan since the "small areas" are easier to get to than in the castle pan.