PDA

View Full Version : Maternity Support

ShanaMama
04-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Lately I'm having a lot of pelvic area pain- the 'pelvic floor muscles' as my midwife called them, stretching underneath my uterus as well as lower back pain. It feels like all the muscles that carry my uterus and baby weight are overtaxed. (duh!) I sometimes feel when I just stand up that I need to 'hold' my belly to support it.
Can anyone recommend comfortable and effective maternity support wear? The only thing I tried last time was kind of an elastic band that went around my belly & back from Motherhood. It was useless and uncomfortable. I am pretty picky about things on my belly, so the less material the better. TIA

ahrimie
04-09-2008, 06:38 AM
have you tried maternity belts? i'm not sure if that's the proper name... but they usually sell them in maternity stores. mine's a brand called, mom-ez. it's like a belt that helps "hold" up belly and the sides have elastic with extra fabric that you pull on to make it more snug.

i TOTALLY know what you mean by "holding" your belly to support it though!

WatchingThemGrow
04-09-2008, 07:04 AM
Walmart of all places had a belt that worked well enough for me. It was like $6.97 and helped lift the gut that it felt better. Maybe it was 4" wide with velcro. Is that what you already have?

american_mama
04-09-2008, 11:01 AM
You want to try a maternity belt. Here's a wide selection http://www.prenatalcradle.com/ with the Mini Cradle being the simplest and most copied. Motherhood, JC Penney catalog, and other places sell it. It also sounds like what you already tried and disliked. My midwife said the one that goes around your shoulders is such a pain to put on that most women end up not using it.

I bought this one off ebay and will sell it to you for $10 if you're interested.
http://www.wisdomking.com/product70438.html
If you want to shop on your own, you can find lots on ebay for tons less than buying new.

The Medela one is at Babies R Us but has bad online reviews... too flimsy, material rolls.

Amazon also has a bunch. You might also try a medical/surgical supply store in your town and see if you can try them on in person.