PDA

View Full Version : I hate those plastic hangers for baby clothes

SnuggleBuggles
04-09-2008, 05:59 PM
More than that, I hate that I have asked my mom at least 10 times to not include them hen she buys ds even more clothes (she has a serious shopping addiction) but she'll remember for like a week then forget again. I hate throwing them away but I am so not going to use them. I suppose I could save them for donations but I am just running low on space for things I actually want w/o having to store stuff I don't want.

I think this is really a mom vent after all b/c I want to add that I wish that everytime ds1 went out with her he didn't come back with stuff. Toys, art supplies, clothes, misc. junk...I need to focus my efforts on organizing my stuff- stuff I want for my family- not trying to include the stuff she buys,

I'm sorry if this sounds ungrateful. It is sweet of her. But, she shows up with stuff for the boys at least 1 time a week. It's just too much! I would so rather she saved up and bought them fewer, better quality things than the stuff she does buy. I don't know how to tell her this withou hurting her feelings. I did recently impose a no new toy rule for the next 6 weeks and both she and ds1 are following that. She just makes up for it w/ other crap.

I just want o have less stuff in my home and she is making that really hard.

Oh, and I really hate baby clothes hangers. :) I am lucky to get ds2's clothes in the drawers vs just pulling them out of a clean laundry basket let alone hang them!

Beth

ritacheetah
04-09-2008, 09:58 PM
I know the feeling, my MIL and FIL LOVE the dollar store & go just about every day. Nothing against dollar stores but geez how much crap do you need???? Save it for college!! Sigh, everyone needs a hobby, I guess but managing stuff is not mine...:banghead:

gatorsmom
04-09-2008, 11:03 PM
I know what you mean. My ILs live far away so they send lots of presents for all the holidays for the kids. But most of the time it's junk the kids won't give a second look. How do you tell the ILs not to do that? And then the problem is that I feel guilty throwing away stuff from the grandparents because, well it's "stuff from the grandparents." I don't mean that it's all keepsake quality, but I kind of feel like it's special because it's from their grandparents. Makes me even more angry when I have to get rid of it because it's not better quality.

And I DO have to get rid of some of it. We just have too many toys. Why can't they just buy one really great quality gift for each kid? Or donate to their education fund?

but i can only vent here because to say anything IRL would be rude. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone.

mom2binsd
04-09-2008, 11:14 PM
Send the hangers my way....I'm always asking for those darn hangers (I consign all my kids stuff at twice yearly sales and use them for that and stores are getting stingy with them now)...and I hang almost all my kids clothing up, I only put jammies, socks and underwear in a small dresser (I buy the nicer hangers for our use)...but I do understand not wanting all the excess stuff...today I took away all of DD's My Little Pony's for a toy time out...Grandpa picks her up from preschool and they go to the store..she comes home with a new Barbie! UGH!!! I can't really compain though, my IL's are a godsend, they are wonderful and babysit for us while I work part time and are a major support in so many ways, financially and emotionally.

almostsane
04-10-2008, 10:03 AM
I agree with the "too many toys" thing. My mom has a great job, is financially set, and loves to buy for DS1 and now DS2. I know that she often does it because she feels guilty...she would love to be able to stay home and keep them for me. Her working is the reason she is financially set, so there lies the problem. Anyway, I have a rule in my house: if it has not been played with in a month, it gets given away to our local charity. So far, DS has not missed one single thing that I have gotten rid of. Some people think this is crazy and wasteful, but when you are running out of room, you just make do. Also, every big event, ie Christmas, Bday, Easter,etc, I pick out a few toys that DS receives that I know he will love and I return the rest for gift cards. Most of his presents come from Wal-Mart, thus I just exchange them for the gift card. I then put that amount of money into his savings account and use the card for groceries. Everyone in our family knows that I do this and no one seems to be upset by it. I have even started asking his grandparents and great-grandparents to either not get a gift or to just give a small cash amount to the savings. So far, most of them are complying. It might not work for everyone, but it does in our family. Maybe it could work for you.:)

Bethvet
04-17-2008, 10:59 PM
If you want to get rid of the hangers, another way is once you have a moderate amount of them list them on either freecycle or craigslist's free section. Someone will come to your house to take them. I've gotten rid of a lot of hangers that way.