PDA

View Full Version : BFing Cues & Your Infant

amconwa
04-09-2008, 08:39 PM
I thought I knew everything there was to know about cues. Now, DS is three months old, and I cannot tell when my kid wants to eat. His hands are in his mouth all of the time! He did have a few days where his tongue would dart in and out of his mouth like a snake (I thought he was a Slytherin for sure!! :)
He doesn't do that anymore. It never looked like "normal" tongue cueing. (Edit: The new kind of tongue. Not the old slow poking tongue I was familiar with.) I don't know. I just try and figure out if he's hungry by putting him on, looking at the clock (big no-no, I know), and just plain guessing. Anyone BTDT? I'd hate to screw up a growth spurt.

TIA!

SnuggleBuggles
04-10-2008, 10:34 AM
At potential growth spurt times (3w, 6w, 3m...) I would put ds at any hunger suspicion. I also didn't want to miss a growth spurt. :) By this age they are pretty good at saying no if they just aren't interested.

I do look at the clock some. If he starts fussing at 1.5 hours after eating when he normally goes 3 hours then I will try other things besides feeding him first. My ds is very clear though. When he is hungry he will not be placated by anything else though. He is 4m 1w old now, btw, and it has been like that for a while now. Like I said though, during growth spurt time I will try feeding him even if it has only been 1.5 hours.

I think it mostly is guessing. But, I could be wrong!

Beth