PDA

View Full Version : update on "stuck hosting a come buy something "party"

Laurel
04-10-2008, 03:41 PM
So I managed to coerce my mom and 3 friends to come over for the "hostess party" I am supposed to have for a friend who is a new rep for one of the big party-based retailers (as seen on Oprah ;)) on Saturday. When I let the product rep know that I didn't think I had found enough attendees to come, she suggested I go door to door in my new neighborhood. Um, no.

Never again will I ever, ever act politely interested in someone's party-based business!!!! It will only get me stuck hosting a party.

I think this has caused me wayyyy more stress than I should have let it. I can't wait until this is over. I feel like my friendship will always be tainted by the experience.

Wife_and_mommy
04-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Eek. Those are tough. I think it should be your friend's job not to make you uncomfortable with it all.

Hope you're able to have a little fun.

tylersmama
04-10-2008, 05:54 PM
When I let the product rep know that I didn't think I had found enough attendees to come, she suggested I go door to door in my new neighborhood. Um, no.

You've GOT to be kidding me. That's ridiculous...why doesn't she go door to door in your new neighborhood??? "Hi, I'm your new neighbor and I was just wondering if you'd like to come to my Pamperedtupperpartyliteliasophia party this weekend!" Yeah, your neighbors will just love you! :rolleye0014:

kellyd
04-11-2008, 09:27 AM
I would try not to hold this against your friend. Honestly you and I know it's insane to go door to door, however, I know it because I've finally removed myself from the insanity of home based party businesses.

She is probably very excited about this opportunity of hers and is simply passing on what her senior recruiting person has told her to say. Once it was out of her mouth she probably realized how nuts it sounded... but at that point it was already said.

Good luck w/ your party and do NOT stress about it. It's not worth it. As a previous home party plan guru I thank you for supporting your friend. :)

clc053103
04-11-2008, 10:00 AM
As a home based party rep, I can say I don't even ask friends to have parties- it is up to them to come to me. It's not worth causing a strain in the friendship.

As for inviting neighbors you don't know, I can share a story. When I was maybe 6 mos living in my last neighborhood, I got an invite to a home party for a home based business selling decorative items for the home (clear enough?) from a neighbor I don't know, who lived maybe 12 houses away. I can't make it to the party, yet thought it was a nice gesture to invite a new neighbor. I call her to RSVP, and thanked her profusely for inviting me, how I'd love to meet her- and then, it becomes clear that she had no interest in meeting me, just invited the ENTIRE STREET. I felt like a jerk- but felt she was the bigger jerk for trying to drum up a crowd and use neighbors she really could care less about knowing.

So yes, I do think it's inappropriate to knock on doors to drum up a crowd for this party!! You did the right thing!

ha98ed14
04-11-2008, 12:23 PM
I just can't resist another opportunity to say how much I HATE THESE THINGS! IMO, it is just tacky tacky tacky to try and sell things to people you know. If they ask the sales rep, I guess it's ok, but why would you want to ruin a friendship by involving a business transaction. What if the widget I buy from you breaks and I want my money back? I know moms are always looking for a way to make money from home, but I just don't get why this kind of business would be the answer. I get invited regularly to Arbonne and Pampered Chef parties by a friend (who I actually do like a lot). She is an Arbinne rep and her mom does Pampered Chef. Honestly I would rather go to Williams Sonoma or Sephora to buy my stuff. And yes, maybe I am petty, but it does make me mad to think of my friend profiting from selling me things. I know the big retailer where I shop is also making money off me, but at least I don't have to see them every week at church and feel pissed off because I over spent and SHE benefitted from it. Sorry, I totally hijacked, but I hate these things!

C99
04-12-2008, 06:18 PM
As for inviting neighbors you don't know, I can share a story. When I was maybe 6 mos living in my last neighborhood, I got an invite to a home party for a home based business selling decorative items for the home (clear enough?) from a neighbor I don't know, who lived maybe 12 houses away. I can't make it to the party, yet thought it was a nice gesture to invite a new neighbor. I call her to RSVP, and thanked her profusely for inviting me, how I'd love to meet her- and then, it becomes clear that she had no interest in meeting me, just invited the ENTIRE STREET. I felt like a jerk- but felt she was the bigger jerk for trying to drum up a crowd and use neighbors she really could care less about knowing.

I don't think that's a horrible thing, actually. One of my neighbors, who moved in 2+ years ago and who I had never met, invited the whole NEIGHBORHOOD to a Lia Sophia party. I went because it was a good way to meet her and see other neighbors I hadn't seen in awhile. It was fun, but maybe my feelings are tainted by the fact that my neighborhood is known for its parties.

gatorsmom
04-15-2008, 12:18 AM
I just can't resist another opportunity to say how much I HATE THESE THINGS! IMO, it is just tacky tacky tacky to try and sell things to people you know. If they ask the sales rep, I guess it's ok, but why would you want to ruin a friendship by involving a business transaction. What if the widget I buy from you breaks and I want my money back? I know moms are always looking for a way to make money from home, but I just don't get why this kind of business would be the answer. I get invited regularly to Arbonne and Pampered Chef parties by a friend (who I actually do like a lot). She is an Arbinne rep and her mom does Pampered Chef. Honestly I would rather go to Williams Sonoma or Sephora to buy my stuff. And yes, maybe I am petty, but it does make me mad to think of my friend profiting from selling me things. I know the big retailer where I shop is also making money off me, but at least I don't have to see them every week at church and feel pissed off because I over spent and SHE benefitted from it. Sorry, I totally hijacked, but I hate these things!

I totally agree. I think it is very tacky to profit off your friends. I have a very dear friend who has hosted many of these types of parties. In the past year she's had a southern living, jewelry, and a tastefully simple party. I know that she does it to get the extra stuff and because she doesn't have a lot of money I go to her parties. Any other person I'd decline, though.

When i was in grade school eons ago, the school's annual fundraiser was a magazine sale. The company reps bribed us kids with cheap, garbage toys to sell so many magazines. They told us to sell first to our friends and relatives and then go door-to-door. My parents absolutely refused to let us sell magazines, especially to our family and friends who would have felt obligated to buy from us. I agree with my parents. The whole idea was just sleazy, imo.

kijip
04-15-2008, 02:00 AM

I hate them too. The worst is when someone invites you over and does not make it clear from the beginning as to why. If I bake you cookies and buy a bottle of wine, I expect to show up for dinner and not for knife shopping. Sorry! Luckily that only happened once, with a mom at Toby's preschool. But I also spent a year fielding cosmetics pitches from my son's teacher- so unbelievably WRONG. She "donated" her line's sunscreen for the class to use and because he has sensitive skin and I can't wear most scented products and suspect he is the same way, I did not sign the consent and provided an alternate bottle of mild, organic sunscreen. She put it on him anyways (the one she sold) and guess what- it gave him a rash. Ugh.

I think there are ways to sell these things without using social pressure- like fairs, web, WOM, flyers etc. But it is pretty reprehensible to use my friendly nature to con me into buying stuff that dollars to donuts, I don't need. Or I should say try to con, as I in no way have every bought anything from a direct marketer other than girl scout cookies or scout xmas tree removal.

ha98ed14
04-17-2008, 01:33 PM
...as I in no way have every bought anything from a direct marketer other than girl scout cookies or scout xmas tree removal.

Guilty look

Girlo scout cookies are the ONE thing I cannot avoid buying from people... But here the girls set up a stand right outside the grocery store, so I don't know them or their parents. None of my friends have daughters old enough to sell cookies, but if they did, I would probably buy them from a friend's daughter rather than the grocery store stand. Interestingly, DH is a teacher and kids sometimes want to know if he is interested in their scouts sale. He always says no because if he buys from one and not another, it is not really fair. But cookies are the ones that get me...