PDA

View Full Version : Changing area and diaper bag LIST?

SomeoneLikeYou
04-10-2008, 11:24 PM
I would love to know if someone has and can share a list of what's to go on/in a changing area AND in a diaper bag :) I don't mind if it's extensive as I I think, in the begining, I'll overpack anyway seeing as though I'll be a new mom in 7 wks!!

TIA!!! :)

SnuggleBuggles
04-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Diapering supplies I keep at the home changing area:
-diapers
-wipes
-small thing of Butt Paste
-contoured changing pad with cover

I tried to find MamKath's list of things to have in a diaper bag that she had posted on the diaper bag page but I can't seem to find it. You might want to post over on that page too. One of the regulars (I swear it is MamaKath) has a link saved that was a compilation of great ideas b posters on what is best to have in the diaper bag.

Me? I am a light packer and I breastfeed. I have 2 diaper bags. One lives in the car and has a lot of stuff and one that doubles as my purse that I take around with me. I'm never so far from my car or house that I will really need all the extras that I like to have though. In the bag I actually carry around with me:
-my wallet
-phone
-iPod
-lip gloss
-a diaper/ wipe holder like this http://www.diapeesandwipees.com/images/subpages/products/2bags.jpg and in it I have 2 diapers, a baggie with about 5 wipes, 2 of those disposable changing pads (my regular pad is too bulky to fit in http://talk.sheknows.com/images/smilies/frown.gif) and a refill container of those plastic bags to wrap the diapers in
-change of clothes for ds
-burp cloth
-small toy for ds1 and ds2
-pacifier hanging off the strap on a JJ Cole Pacifier Pod
-small first aid kit

In the one that I keep in the car I have:
-about 10 diapers
-changing pad
-some wipes
-t-shirt for me or dh (big enough that it could fit him)
-change of clothes for both boys
-blanket

I have other random stuff in the car like more blankets, hats, toys and burp cloths too. I always try to keep full changes of clothes for me and ds1 and a beach towel in the trunk. In the winter I have been known to put in extra coats, shoes and winter gear in there too. Basically my car is one big diaper bag. http://talk.sheknows.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

I know some people practically carry a walking pharmacy with them when they are out (tylenol, nail clippers, various lotions...) but I just keep that stuff at home. Meds could go bad if the temperature goes too high or too low. I guess some people like to clip nails while baby is asleep in their carseat. I just figure there is nothing like that I need that I couldn't just buy if I am out and find I have to have it that second. Otherwise I can wait till we are home.

When I was pg w/ ds1 I did have a well organized, well stocked diaper bag. It didn't last long. :) I quickly downsized and reprioritized. You'll find a system that works for you. Hope that list helps!

Beth

citymama
04-11-2008, 06:53 PM
We walk or use public transit so I'm not inclined to pack too much - but at the same time don't have a back-up supply in the car. When DD was an infant I always carried (and still do carry much of the same stuff now that she's 2 - although keeping our fingers crossed that the potty training will mean no more diapers soon!):

--2-4 diapers
-- wipes
-- diaper pad
-- Hand purifier
-- complete change of clothes
-- hat (sunhat or warm hat depending on the weather
-- sunscreen depending on weather
-- Kleenex
-- diaper cream (we like the travel sized Burt's Bees)
-- burp cloths
-- some form of entertainment - small toy or soft book
-- I BFed till 18 months, but bottle if you use formula (or cow's milk when baby is older)
-- after 9 months, baby food or snacks and sippy cup for water (and bib and spoon!)
-- my personal stuff - wallet, cell phone, keys!

Changing table:
--waterproof pad on the changing table
--mobile hanging over the table upto 6-7 months
--toys she could look at and reach for
-- few dipes
-- wipes
-- washcloth and burpcloths
-- 2 changes of clothes (so we didn't have to go looking for them in the middle of the night)
-- flannel receiving blanket for the same reason
-- diaper creams - we have an assortment
-- baby cream or massage oil if you do infant massage

We have the large and spacious Bellini changing table so there's lots of space for all this stuff! If you have less space, use baskets or a shelf to store all the extras.

All the best!

karstmama
04-12-2008, 01:10 PM
my baby was a preemie, still on oxygen but doesn't have the ostomy or g-tube anymore - yay! - so i definitely have an actual list that i keep on the computer & keep updated & have one in the diaper bag. i didn't want to forget to put in more ostomy bags or feeding tube extenders - disaster! now i have to learn to let go of some of that obsessiveness...

anyway, some stuff i have that's not as common but still might fill a need for you: a tiny flashlight to check him in the car if it's dark, sunscreen (since we're in the south), and 'trash' bags for dirty dipes or wet clothes. i second the purell and a tshirt for you.

also, while i respect the cushiness of the reusable diapering pads, the skeeviness factor has put me off them. i saw someone changing their baby on the bathroom floor, and then i guess she was gonna put that pad back in the diaper bag. for me, even with wiping, that's gross. i use the 'chux' type disposable pads.

i also keep & update a list of all his meds, foods, oxygen amount... i print one out for appointments. the doctors & nurses *love* that. i hope you never need that idea. ;)

SomeoneLikeYou
04-13-2008, 01:13 AM
Thank you very much for these excellent lists, all!! It should get me started just fine :)

Cheers!

codex57
05-08-2008, 07:44 AM
also, while i respect the cushiness of the reusable diapering pads, the skeeviness factor has put me off them. i saw someone changing their baby on the bathroom floor, and then i guess she was gonna put that pad back in the diaper bag. for me, even with wiping, that's gross. i use the 'chux' type disposable pads.

I know what you mean, but if you stick with using one side at all times, then only the other side is really that gross.

In any case, we never put the diaper pad on anything that gross. At worst is a public bench. I'm not too fond of public changing rooms. They tend to be pretty nasty. The only public changing rooms that seem to be decently clean most of the time are in baby stores. We're actually thinking of getting a Zippy stroller just cuz it can recline flat so we can use it as a changing table without having to go search for a clean place to change.